Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Unhappy 2014 World Championship TV airing 3 weeks later

So they put this thing on TV 2-3 weeks after it happens, and it doesn't even get a primetime airing? How pathetic is that? Is there really that little interest in this sport? I wanted to watch it but I totally forgot about it. Lame.

vCash
    This is what NBC has done for years.

This topic was previously discussed in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Worlds-on-NBC
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-14-2014 at 05:00 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm assuming NBC just showed the women & men?

And if I were an American viewer, I would be pretty upset.

vCash
    Be grateful it's on your television at all!

vCash
    I have contacted NBC about their pitiful coverage of figure skating time & again, to no avail. Shameful that they aired Worlds way after the event, and then no coverage whatsoever of pairs & dance (again ). How do you build a fan base with such measly coverage?

vCash
    If Davis & White had been there they would have at least shown their FD.

vCash
    Very disappointing show. The highlight was for showing Mao's short program as well as the long program. Otherwise, quite a disappointment. I was hoping to see the gala but it was not shown.

vCash
    Only nationals gets prime-time airings nowadays right?

vCash
    They chacked Pogorilaya's wonderful LP performance- just to add to all the transgressions that are already listed here. NBC is pathetic. They would rather show highschool softball in the regular season than show the world figure skating championship.

vCash
    High school softball?

vCash
    Canada didn't have the best coverage of this event but they got it all out live in the middle of the night on mostly non-main sports stations and the top 8ish (+Canadian skaters) on TV on the major station within the day of it being live. It's not all doom and gloom everywhere.

Something to consider is that the events were in the middle of the night which is a pain if you want to watch live. Not that it excuses NBC for airing it so late.

vCash
    I can't complain too much about the Canadian coverage of this event. There always could have been more I suppose, but they showed same-day coverage on TV and live coverage online. And the TV coverage was 2-4 hours a day and showed all the top skaters from each event, including all the Canadian skaters (with the exception of Elladj Baldé, I think.)

And while the commentary was done from the Toronto studio, they did have Scott Russell there in person to interview all the Canadian skaters and many of the top medalists from other countries, so we got that too. Russell even got to interview I&K, who told him they were doing just great!

vCash
    Australia didn't have it on TV at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Australia didn't have it on TV at all.
    I guess we should thank our lucky stars in the USA. At least we got to see a part of it, even though 3 weeks later.

vCash
    Universal Sports (yes, I know not everyone can subscribe through their cable TV provider) had same day coverage of Worlds - one hour per short & free event for each discipline - and IceNetwork had full, live streaming and on demand coverage for subscribers. This is the reality of figure skating coverage in the U.S. nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    Only nationals gets prime-time airings nowadays right?
    Yes (ETA: 3 hours of ladies' free skates on Saturday night, but not live in Pacific time zone, I believe?). NBC also has some live afternoon coverage of Skate America.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-15-2014 at 01:26 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Well at least we are living in the YouTube and internet era. This would be a lot worse if it were a decade or two ago and the networks decided to cut most of the coverage. Nowadays we are able to see most of the skates posted on YouTube or on other websites by helpful posters & uploaders.

There are a number of links to the top 10 or 15 skates in each discipline that were nicely posted on the Worlds threads within a short time of the event taking place.

vCash
    Everyone does not have Universal sports. We need one of the major networks show figure skating at the highest level instead of showing cheesey show programs.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Canada had bad coverage? Come on! live coverage of all events, live coverage of the gala, AND prime time coverage every day of competition. What more could we ask for??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Well at least we are living in the YouTube and internet era. This would be a lot worse if it were a decade or two ago and the networks decided to cut most of the coverage. Nowadays we are able to see most of the skates posted on YouTube or on other websites by helpful posters & uploaders.

There are a number of links to the top 10 or 15 skates in each discipline that were nicely posted on the Worlds threads within a short time of the event taking place.
    I agree! Thank you to Youtube and to the wonderful people who upload the programs so quickly. I live in a country wherein there is no coverage of figure skating at all (except during the Olympics). So YouTube and most probably IceNetwork (for next season) are my only way to watch any FS competition.

vCash
    It is still a rumor based on Japanese yellow paper but I heard Fuji TV is reluctant about buying TV right for next season's Worlds at this point. If Mao as well as Daisuke retires after this season, I assume TV coverage of figure skating competitions(including TV Asahi's GPS coverage) may go downhill drastically in Japan too. Yuzuru will be able to replace Daisuke to some extent but not Mao, let alone both of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast