Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash

Man divorces and successfully sues wife for birthing an ugly child

http://news.yahoo.com/man-sued-wife-...110500995.html

I cannot understand how he would win $120K in damages. I mean, did he not ever look at her childhood pictures? I do not think this would fly in the US. He sounds like a real douche.

vCash
    I feel sorry for the baby.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    I feel sorry for the baby.
    Me, too.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/man-sued-wife-...110500995.html

I cannot understand how he would win $120K in damages. I mean, did he not ever look at her childhood pictures? I do not think this would fly in the US. He sounds like a real douche.
    Are you sure this is not a hoax?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Most babies look kind of like moles until a few months in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Are you sure this is not a hoax?
    Yeah this sounds fake to me too. Babies aren't pretty to look at. Their innocence makes them cute if you like babies in the first place. Besides an ugly child can turn into an attractive adult during puberty and vice versa. Attractive parents can have ugly children and vice versa. I think if the baby is born healthy most parents count their blessings. How can a court rule on whether a baby is ugly or not, let alone who is responsible?

vCash
    I checked snopes. com but their server was down, so right now there is no way to find out if this story is true.

If it is true, how can a man sue a wife for birthing an ugly child, if he himself was the father? I am puzzled.

vCash
    His argument seems to be that she misled him by not disclosing that her own appearance at the time he married her was a result of extensive cosmetic surgery and not just genetics.

Whether that's a valid cause for a lawsuit is a question for the courts, I guess.

vCash
    If this man had a heart, he would have loved his child, regardless of anything else.

vCash
    Add in the fact that this is China, and it was a girl child. He might have been slightly more accepting of a son. Either way, I think the wife and daughter are far better off without this jerk in their lives.

vCash
    A friend recently set me up with a friend of hers, which turned out to be the ugliest man I have ever seen in my life. He was so perniciously ugly that I could not look him in the eye for fear of turning to stone.

Can I sue?

vCash
    Not in America you can't...
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Not in America you can't...
    Oh, I don't know. There's probably some sleaze bag lawyer that would take it on. Not that it would get anywhere but a suit could be filed.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Hmm... I want to see a picture of Feng (the self-proclaimed good-looking father).
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Perhaps someone should give this guy a copy of The Ugly Duckling.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I guess I don't feel that sorry for the woman. She did marry him under false pretenses and obviously had all that work done in order to improve her chances of marrying someone who'd would only consider someone who looked like her new and improve self to be worthy of his hand.

I mean I'm not saying his behavior and attitude is at all acceptable. I also think the woman and baby is way better off without this jerk. That said, he's a superficial, shallow person and it's not as if those people don't exist in the world (especially in the U.S.).

Let's face it, people marry for all sorts of reasons, and people do consider people who they find physically attractive before even going on a date with someone much less procreating. He probably truly felt defrauded by the woman who he'd assume would pass on her "beautiful" genes to his offspring. But when her looks and physical features turned out to be the work of man rather than nature, he probably seriously felt like she sold him goods that she didn't advertise. Marriage deep-down is a contract when you get right down to it.

I also think it's a bit funny people are saying how this wouldn't fly in the U.S. or making all sorts of judgments about the Chinese courts for this decision when the U.S. is the most litigious society in the world at the moment and has seen its fair share of seemingly ridiculous or frivolous lawsuits. I'm not saying it would fly in the U.S., and there may be safeguards against these types of lawsuits, but I wouldn't be surprise if someone can successfully sue another for this sort of thing.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 11-24-2012 at 12:43 AM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    but I wouldn't be surprise if someone can successfully sue another for this sort of thing.
    And you would be wrong.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Let's face it, life is a lot easier if you are part of the "good looking" set. More than once I have been pasted up at retailers by sales people for service in favour of the pretty young thing that just walked in whie I had been patiently waiting my turn. There was a case in Thailand of a model who died because of an illegal plastic surgery procedure. Just saying that is the way of the world and I can understand the pressures that would drive some people to go to such extremes.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/90308/...ty-to-die-for/

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I also think it's a bit funny people are saying how this wouldn't fly in the U.S. or making all sorts of judgments about the Chinese courts for this decision when the U.S. is the most litigious society in the world at the moment and has seen its fair share of seemingly ridiculous or frivolous lawsuits.
    The latest data that I could find suggests that it isn't.

http://doelegal.blogspot.com/2011/03...us-is-not.html
    3539 and counting.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Can I sue?
    Sure.

That's not the question to ask. The question to ask is, can you sue and WIN.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast