vCash

Julliard Releases Banned Repertoire List

Okay, not really. But wouldn't be a hoot if it were true? (And if figure skating did the same thing? )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    No. Freedom is a good thing.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think there should be a list for figure skating and if you want to skate a program to a song on that list you must present it to a panel pre-season for approval.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    "In preparation for the Ban’s enforcement, Juilliard officials have put all security personnel through a series of rigorous ear-training and music-appreciation courses, so that they may patrol the fourth floor listening for prohibited music coming from the practice rooms."

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    ROFL....yeah, actually (though I'm surprised the flutist ban list makes no mention of Telemann for the pre-college...isn't he obligatory?

vCash
    I'm just glad it was the Appassionata and not the Pathetique, or I'd be constantly getting in trouble for contraband Beethoven.

Look at the note they had to add at the beginning. I can't believe so many people took the thing seriously.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    "In preparation for the Ban’s enforcement, Juilliard officials have put all security personnel through a series of rigorous ear-training and music-appreciation courses, so that they may patrol the fourth floor listening for prohibited music coming from the practice rooms."

That would be funny, except for the stories I've heard of them expelling students in the past, who were caught practicing other "primitive" forms of music, like' jazz. Sad, considering that forms like improvisational jazz (you have to be able to improvise in every key) and some bluegrass (ever hear Flatt & Scrugs' "Orangeblossom Special"?) are just as hard to play as "classical" music.

I know a few people who play "traditional acoustic" music who started out as "classically trained" musicians, including one who, yes, graduated from Juilliard. There's a reason they've chosen to play for contra dance bands performing at folk festivals instead of in concert halls where the audience sits in stuffed-shirt silence.
    Last edited by Karina1974; 11-23-2012 at 02:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ROFL....yeah, actually (though I'm surprised the flutist ban list makes no mention of Telemann for the pre-college...isn't he obligatory?
    I was perplexed at the clarinet choices myself. Fantasiestucke? Really? Instead of, say, the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, or either of the Brahms Sonatas?

Eh?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    That would be funny, except for the stories I've heard of them expelling students in the past, who were caught practicing other "primitive" forms of music, like' jazz.
    When "in the past"?

Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I know a few people who play "traditional acoustic" music who started out as "classically trained" musicians, including one who, yes, graduated from Juilliard. There's a reason they've chosen to play for contra dance bands performing at folk festivals instead of in concert halls where the audience sits in stuffed-shirt silence.
    Which is what?

vCash
    It's a bit pleonastic to say "in the past." Surely everything that's happened has happened in the past

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I sent this to a friend who went to Juilliard, and it was the first thing to cheer him up in months.

Thank you so much for posting this, Wyliefan
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I sent this to a friend who went to Juilliard, and it was the first thing to cheer him up in months.

Thank you so much for posting this, Wyliefan
    Aww, I'm really glad he enjoyed it! You're very welcome! Best wishes to your friend.