Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

No surprise if Lysacek skips nationals

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    It says I have to become a something plus member to read the article? Ugh.

vCash
    Hersh says the real goal is Sochi and he doesn't need to rush back from his groin injury which requires a lot of rest so it's just shutting the door on this season maybe he's not even sure he is speculating.

He also talks about Wagner going to Sochi gpf being a mixed bag because of it's location.

vCash
    Hope Evan's well.

Phil also mentioned Yuna Kim’s appearance at the Senior B in Germany will overshadow the Grand Prix Final the same weekend.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I'm sorry Jenny Kirk isn't still doing weekly reports.

At times Phil Hersh writes about skating with such contempt, you'd think he was doing it at gun point. (Having met a few seasoned journalists at skating events, he wouldn't be the only one, unfortunately)

vCash
    The link worked for me.

From the article:

``Lysacek withdrew from Skate America in October and decided not to go to Croatia for a Dec. 13-16 competition that would have allowed him to get his blades wet before nationals. So why did he skate in a made-for-TV cancer charity show in North Carolina last week?

Lysacek’s agent, Shep Goldberg, told me that even if the skater was feeling ready to compete, the lengthy trip to Croatia could have affected the injury. Goldberg said Lysacek was committed to the Carolina event on a personal level, since his father, Don, is a cancer survivor. And Lysacek did not push himself in the exhibition, doing only two jumps.``

You`d think Phil would have learned by now that there might be really good reasons why skaters cancel out of events, and would quit snarking at them because of it. It`s like they are only allowed to withdraw from something if he approves it in advance
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I heard a rumor that Lysacek was coming to Golden Spin of Zagreb.
    I guess the source actually knew something, but it is over now.

Get well Even!

vCash
    I don't think it would be a surprise, either. Between his health issues and the rapidly increasing standard in men's skating, there's no point in pushing himself if it's not to compete at the highest level internationally.

That said, skaters who don't just announce a comeback and are actually able to follow through deserve a great deal of credit (e.g. Plushenko, Johnny Weir, Shen & Zhao, presumably Yu-Na). It's not at all easy.

As Hersh articles go, this was quite mild.

vCash
    It would be hard to do axels with a groin injury. Any move that involves swinging your leg up and forward - even scratch spins would be painful and just make it worse. That is the first muscle to hurt when I come back to skating after taking time off.

vCash
    Evan would put himself in a unnecessary situation if he skips Nationals. I believe that it would give credit to OOT ego claims if he really believes that it would be in his best interest to not compete until next season. Hell; I think skipping the season in general is a poor decision. I dont know if i believe that he's really hurt. Plus if he is it just looks bad considering that earlier he wouldnt compete because of $$$ reasons. If he's well, he should get his butt out there for his own sake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    Evan would put himself in a unnecessary situation if he skips Nationals. I believe that it would give credit to OOT ego claims if he really believes that it would be in his best interest to not compete until next season. Hell; I think skipping the season in general is a poor decision. I dont know if i believe that he's really hurt. Plus if he is it just looks bad considering that earlier he wouldn't compete because of $$$ reasons. If he's well, he should get his butt out there for his own sake
    Not that I'm a huge fan of his, but I don't understand any part of this post. He should skate at Nationals even though he's injured because you have a hunch from your earlier magic 8 ball session that he's not actually injured? Because you're worried about fan backlash from claims of overego? Backlash which is, of course, much more worrisome than some groin injury?!? Why not just let him call the shots as he needs to and trust that he knows best what is good for him. I don't understand the need for a conspiracy theory.

vCash
    Usually an athlete can gradually return to his sport within one to two weeks after a groin injury. Didn't this injury occur even before Skate America?

Link required signing up for something in order to read. Signed up for too many things already. lol

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I'd kinda like to meet the person who would have been surprised if he didn't show up for nationals before this article. No, actually, skip that, I wouldn't...
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Usually an athlete can gradually return to his sport within one to two weeks after a groin injury.
    Gradually return to training, or start competing again within 2 weeks?

Depends on the specific injury as well as the sport.

Tell it to Alexei Urmanov, who withdrew from Worlds in March 1997 with a groin injury and was unable to compete again until July 1998.

vCash
    Hope Evan will rest well and recover fully. He may still have a chance to skate in Sochi 2014 if physically fit soon. Gee... looks like it's common for 'returning athletes' to get injured. Will see how the other returning athletes fare?
    Last edited by spikydurian; 11-22-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    Phil Hersh just tweeted about Evan having surgery:

https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/271382772139048960
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

vCash
    Evan has undergone heria operation and will be off ice for six weeks. With Nationals from Jan 20 - 27th, this would only allow him 3 weeks at most to train his programs to compete.

I see him withdrawing and no return this season.

Lysacek undergoes successful surgery to repair sports hernia - Source, U.S. Figure Skating
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,444974.story
    Evan Lysacek's plans for a comeback to competitive figure skating this season have been further compromised by a sports hernia.

The latest setback, which required surgery Tuesday, all but ends Lysacek's hopes to compete at January's U.S. Championships.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    I feel this is an ongoing trend.... skaters trying to come back after not competing, become injured with career-threatening injuries. Are skaters coming back because there is a lack of a pro circuit as in the days after 1994?? If so, maybe there needs to be some intervention on life after skating and how to be successful in other areas of life?

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadask8er View Post
    I feel this is an ongoing trend.... skaters trying to come back after not competing, become injured with career-threatening injuries. Are skaters coming back because there is a lack of a pro circuit as in the days after 1994?? If so, maybe there needs to be some intervention on life after skating and how to be successful in other areas of life?
    Michelle Kwan could offer seminars.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast