Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    [NM

vCash
    I am bringing my usual M&M cookies to my cousin's house. They will have quite the feast, but I don't know what exactly. Tonight I had a pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house and we had baked ham with some sort of sauerkraut with it and spaetzle (my friend's housekeeper is German). Dessert was apple/cranberry pie and sweet potato pie. It was yummy. Then I went to an ecumenical Thanksgivong service and brought canned soup for the collection. Tomorrow morning I am going to another friend's house for brunch. I don't know if I've ever had a Thanksgiving with so many meal invitations. It is great, but I don't think I'll need to eat until, oh, Saturday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    For our US friends who need a tutorial on how to make Pumpkin Pies...

YouTube ~ How to make Pumpkin Pie

Please remember the Chef is a Professional (sort of) and his methods should only be used by a Professional (or at least by this Professional...)

I found myself watching different Muppets tunes on Youtube after watching the chef. I still don't know what we are eating tomorrow for sure but the everyone's lists make my mouth water. And I also like hearing about those celebrating outside of the US and those from other countries living in the US. I want to know what Austrailian food will be served for example...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Australian food served where? There aren't many Australian emigrants in the US that I'm aware of.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    This morning one of my best Israeli friends emailed me about something and asked me what I was doing for Thanksgiving. I told him my niece was making it (I'm bringing the sweet potato & rum casserole) but that Friday I was making Middle Eastern food for 17.

And he wrote: "Middle Eastern is indeed so much yummier than that terrible thing Americans go crazy for (with Cranberry sauce!) for thanksgiving "

I was SO offended on all our behalf and hastened to inform him that turkey, stuffing, cranberry something, sweet and mashed potatoes and some kind of green vegetable, plus Parker House rolls and pumpkin pie, are my sacred heritage and I would find a way to eat them if I were at the South Pole.

Furriners, phooey.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i admire your loyalty but i have to side with the furriner this time
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Australian food served where? There aren't many Australian emigrants in the US that I'm aware of.
    Angelskates mentioned that there may be more non-Americans than Americans at her Thanksgiving. I'm curious to know what is served and, though I am usually traditional, I like the idea of a non-traditional meal.

vCash
    PRlady has it right. Furriner doesn't know what he is talking about.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Angelskates mentioned that there may be more non-Americans than Americans at her Thanksgiving. I'm curious to know what is served and, though I am usually traditional, I like the idea of a non-traditional meal.
    Angelskates is in China . The American ex-pats there are hosting and everyone else is bringing something.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I'm going out to eat with my brother and his family and some of her family. I've never eaten out on Thanksgiving, so it will be a little different. I'm excited to spend time with my nieces and nephew!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Angelskates is in China . The American ex-pats there are hosting and everyone else is bringing something.
    Alas, tonight is hosted by a Canadian because she was away for Canadian Thanksgiving and then the Americans thought her house was nicer and bigger, so we decided it would be at her house. Four Aussies, four Canadians, three Americans, two French one Dane/Spaniard, one German, one Kiwi and two Brits. The Americans well and truly outnumbered, but they have made a delicious looking turkey and we let them do pumpkin pie too. And real cranberry sauce. We also have "Canadian" apple crisp (which seems the same as "Australian" apple crumble), we have a lot more dessert than other food, which in my minds how it should be We have pavlova, South Australian beer, homemade Lebanese bread, hummus, falafel and fattoush (Lebanese bread salad) that we bought, since there are a few vegetarians.

The other two Thanksgiving meals will have more Americans, but I will still be taking an non-traditional dessert (I may even try baklava!) because I don't like pumpkin pie and I like dessert! I think one of them will be pretty traditional, and the other, another mish-mash.

vCash
    This sounds like fun Angelskates!

vCash
    Happy thanksgiving to our neighbours south of the border.

vCash
    Well, I'm not American, so my plan is to do nothing special But I'd like to wish a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating the holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    This morning one of my best Israeli friends emailed me about something and asked me what I was doing for Thanksgiving. I told him my niece was making it (I'm bringing the sweet potato & rum casserole) but that Friday I was making Middle Eastern food for 17.

And he wrote: "Middle Eastern is indeed so much yummier than that terrible thing Americans go crazy for (with Cranberry sauce!) for thanksgiving "

I was SO offended on all our behalf and hastened to inform him that turkey, stuffing, cranberry something, sweet and mashed potatoes and some kind of green vegetable, plus Parker House rolls and pumpkin pie, are my sacred heritage and I would find a way to eat them if I were at the South Pole.

Furriners, phooey.
    Can't you combine the two? A lot of Thanksgiving dishes could be given a Middle Eastern twist and be all the better for it.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I guess there are those who value tradition and want the same dishes every year, and those who like to play with the idea a bit. On one of his Christmas specials, Jamie Oliver did a jerk turkey, pointing out that many of the flavours in jerk seasoning are similar to those traditionally associated with Christmas, so why not? I think many Middle Eastern spices also do well with traditional Thanksgiving dishes and ingredients.

vCash
    All I want when dealing with my family is alcohol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Well, I'm not American, so my plan is to do nothing special But I'd like to wish a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating the holiday!

Can't you combine the two? A lot of Thanksgiving dishes could be given a Middle Eastern twist and be all the better for it.
    The Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, not at Jaffa. Deal with it!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

Well, again, I'm not making the Thanksgiving meal but if I were I would stick to the classics. People expect the classics and you shouldn't mess with them.

But it's now a tradition in my family that I do a more exotic buffet the night after Thanksgiving. Thus I made my Israeli friend's hummus from scratch, did the Moroccan chicken last night, do the Turkish lamb and Israeli eggplant dishes tomorrow....everyone will be happy except my mom who hates all foreign food. Which is probably a reason I love it.

And Israelis who complain about American food and coffee (paging Andrey and several others) get a big from me.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    And Israelis who complain about American food and coffee (paging Andrey and several others) get a big from me.
    Actually some of the Thanksgiving dishes people have mentioned in this thread sound quite delicious and make me wish I was invited over! (not for turkey; I'm a vegetarian). I have no opinion on coffee, other than that I dislike it everywhere - but don't get me started on the quality of the produce outside of farmers' markets and the like.

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash

Your Thanksgiving Celebration!!

Usually I go to my brother's house for dinner. This year, I wound up working on the holiday (part of an IT Helpdesk for a global healthcare company). Therefore, Thanksgiving will be me, Mom & Dad at a local hotel restaurant.
    This space for rent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast