Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    OMG, thank you so much for uploading the progression of the routine. I hope Hubert did not go to the Lee Strasberg school of method acting for this!

I never could decide whether Hubert was an amazing skater for her speed and big jumps (when she landed them) that barely required effort because of her speed ... or whether she was just sloppy all around. Maybe both? Also, why suddenly did ALL her choreography involve swatting flies in front of her face? From Dead Can Dance where she's crossing herself in prayer and swatting the gnats off her prehistoric mammoth hide, to the '98 Olympics tinkly music, to hooker on krokodil.
    I almost choked on my own spit reading this. Best description about Hubert's skating ever!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    *quietly freaks out about the blade-breaking ones and hangs onto her own skates*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Your video description,

Laetitia Hubert Skate Canada 1998 "Prostitute on Crack" Free Skate
    I do not claim any ownership or copyright to this video.
    This video is intended for educational purposes about the dangers of drugs, prostitution, slutty voids, and no teknik.

BTW, I'm actually encouraging everyone to mirror/download/back up these vids, because we can't risk this awesomely voidy program being lost to the sands of time again!

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Dear skategods, I admit that I am powerless over my addiction to Laetitia Hubert's "Heroin Addict" Free Skate. I admit that my life is unmanageable when I try to control it. Help me this day to understand the true meaning of powerlessness. Remove from me all denial of my addiction.
    Seriously, this program is like a drug itself - my elation when I found those files was probably like that of a druggie finding a forgotten stash

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Just what every mother envisions for her daughter . . . Crackwhore on Ice!

vCash
    Another random question: are Victor Voronov and Sergei Voronov related?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Another random question: are Victor Voronov and Sergei Voronov related?
    Voronov is a common Russian name.

vCash
    Voronov is Russian for "Zhang."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Voronov is Russian for "Zhang."

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    OK, so this is not a question at all. I just don't need to start a new thread for this. But it's CRAZY.

Check out the current standings of the USFSA Fantasy Skating contest.

Over the past few months, the administrator went on and off allowing the #n*pples name on the graphic because that entrant was always in the top 10. Then suddenly this new name?! It had to been created at the same time, before the whole contest began and we could even see the names, because of the points accumulated.

You know it's just Hanyu and Kozuka down the hall from each other at the dorm making fun of this whole predictive game as it is.

vCash
    Having followed the #n*pples saga (I know the player who it is), I'm glad someone did that. The USFSA weren't even polite when she asked why she wasn't on the graphic the first week she made top ten.

I think I crashed and burned at Euros and probably at Nationals as well. Is it going to be open for JW, 4CC and SW? Maybe I can recover some points. I kept losing out because I kept picking my favourite skaters over ones that might do well. Picking Artur every time in the GP series hurt me a fair bit But I've never been good at these things.

vCash
    We hear about the high end designers, Vera Wang for example, designing for skaters. But who are the best designers who create only for skaters?

vCash
    Just a completely random one: Does anyone remember any LPs that the very first element is not a jump?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4Irina View Post
    Just a completely random one: Does anyone remember any LPs that the very first element is not a jump?
    Does one under 6.0 count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mmZhBy1IXQ with quad attempt. (I like that she falls in the steps after the jump, not from the jump- oops)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4Irina View Post
    step sequence as first element
    and another one

from 6.0 era, spin as first element

he liked to start with that spin

vCash
    Jonathan Cassar's Schindler's List free skate also started with the step sequence as the first element.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-k2Rc9hK4A

I also vaguely remember some women's programs starting with a spin, but I can't remember the skaters who had them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    I also vaguely remember some women's programs starting with a spin, but I can't remember the skaters who had them.
    Here's another from the 90s

vCash
    After the opening moves, the first element of Tara Lipinski's 1997-8 FS was a layback spin.

vCash

Would anything have changed?

With all the controversy involving scoring in recent years, I've been wondering whether anyone has ever calculated the total scores B&S and S&P would have been awarded--using the current system rather than the 6.0 system--for their respective performances at the 2002 SLC Games? (I would think that, ironically, B&S would still have come out ahead, but who knows?) Apologies if this subject has already been discussed. Just wondering.

vCash
    We can only speculate what GOEs and PCS the actual judges on the panel would have given, and the level rules have changed many times so the scores would depend on those as well. However, S&P would've been at an automatic disadvantage after their double fall at the end of the SP (if we used a version of IJS that had that deduction, which came along pretty early on). In 6.0 it didn't matter much at all because it wasn't on an elements and they were in the top 3. I suspect the free skate would've been very close but the SP might have cost S&P.

vCash
    It's impossible to know what they "would" have received, because a lot of the scores -- GOEs and PCS -- are at each judge's discretion. We can say what marks we would have given for each component and each element, but not what an actual Olympic judging panel would have given.

As for the base values of the elements, it would depend which year's rules you were using and how you (acting as the post facto tech panel) decided to handle any elements that didn't easily fit the rules. So if someone calculated them with 2006 rules, the numbers could be very different from those calculated with 2013 rules.

I think we have had a couple of threads on the topic. I know I tried judging and calling for myself once just out of curiosity. According to my own personal scores with ca. 2006 element rules, I came up with B&S far ahead in the short program and a tiny bit behind in the long, which would have given them the win by IJS rules.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast