Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash

Random questions that don't need their own thread

Every so often I think of a random question from something I saw on a skating broadcast, and debate whether to post, and think, "I should just start a random questions thread," and then I don't do it. So these are just the questions I have today - I can't remember my past ones. Post answers and your own questions here! Sadly, my mind is in the gutter, so today's questions are trashy.

- It was during the Grand Prix in 2006 or 2007 - Peter Carruthers was the post-skate interviewer. I remember a big to-do on FSU because he was talking to the Japanese skaters like they were infants. I think he was asking Mao Asada about what it's like to be in the media glare, and made the motion of a wind-up 35mm movie camera, clicking noises and everything. What competition was that, and can anyone find a YouTube video? I remember at the time searching for it, and I couldn't find any videos with the interview included! I want to see!

- OK, same GP year, same idea, next competition. Carruthers was interviewing Oda, and someone on FSU was saying he was miming a nurse putting a thermometer into the mouth of a sick patient with an ice bag on his head because he was asking if Oda was under the weather. Seriously. Anyone? I want to see!

- Wasn't there a GP competition where Evan Lysacek sliced his pants open with his blade and everyone on FSU shrieked that he wasn't wearing underwear or something?

- Again, a long time ago on FSU, I think there was a thread about weird things you've seen in the background in the audience during a competition. People pointed out the guy who stood up and fell into his seat when Midori Ito hit a 3t-3t; and some European gymnastics competition where the audience background while displaying the scores had this blond lady picking something out of her hair then eating it. Am I hallucinating? And I've always wondered if on the ABC broadcast of the 1988 Olympics, when Katarina Witt takes her opening pose to Carmen, are the people sitting behind her making fun of her?

- OK, random other question. Did Samuelson/Bates ever give an actual reason for splitting up? They'd been together so many years. Did he lose trust in her after the achilles slicing?

- Does anyone have a better video of the Laetitia Hubert heroin addict routine? The only one I can find is really grainy and in black and white.

- Is Olga Markova okay? I'm really concerned about her after that "Let My People Go" routine that's everyone's answer to everything besides "purple". Was she the subject of Hubert's routine?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    and some European gymnastics competition where the audience background while displaying the scores had this blond lady picking something out of her hair then eating it. Am I hallucinating?
    I have no idea, but if this really exists I have got to see it...

vCash
    - OK, random other question. Did Samuelson/Bates ever give an actual reason for splitting up? They'd been together so many years. Did he lose trust in her after the achilles slicing?
    After he got back on the ice, they skated together for several month (don't recall how long). After the split, he said their skating together just didn't feel right anymore. I have no idea what that means or whether that was just a polite way of not giving the real reason, but it is the essence of what he said.

The only other question I can help you with is the 1988 Olympics. I would have watched it on ABC and don't remember seeing anything going on in the stands. Here is the ABC video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57R7aAY5QiM

I still don't see anything funny.

vCash
    There was a good one in the background of the 2001 GWG when Slutskaya was doing her final headspinning move in her FS that another skater imitated it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash

- Is Olga Markova okay? I'm really concerned about her after that "Let My People Go" routine that's everyone's answer to everything besides "purple". Was she the subject of Hubert's routine?
    That's an interesting connection. Why did you think that Hubert's routine was about Markova? Did they know each other well?

vCash
    - Does anyone have a better video of the Laetitia Hubert heroin addict routine? The only one I can find is really grainy and in black and white.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSyZLYQPKKg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf334 View Post
    Thanks for the link.
    The performance was clearly not great, but I still love the program, if nothing for the sheer uniqueness of it all.

vCash
    Ok, here's a question I have: does anyone know if there's a full video anywhere of Candeloro's "George of the Jungle"? I've watched the snippet that's available, but I heard he jumped in a judge's lap at one point, and that's definitely not in the video that's on youtube!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    There was a good one in the background of the 2001 GWG when Slutskaya was doing her final headspinning move in her FS that another skater imitated it.
    Was it Yagudin?

vCash
    A video of Hubert's heroin addict routine without the grainy black and white is a betrayal of the entire esthetic of the program.

vCash

The best version of Hubert's heroin addict routine was at Skate Canada '98, which was shown on CTV. It popped up on youtube for a while and I've been waiting on 3axel1996 to re-upload it. Had I known how rare this version was, I would have saved my VHS. It was epic because the choreography was more detailed. Also, she ran into the boards before she even attempted a jump!

Olga Markova and Laetitia Hubert skated head to head many times. I'm sure they inspired each other. Actually, I have no idea what inspired "Let my people go" other than alcohol. I hope she's okay now. I think that was one of the last performances taped

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Ok, here's a question I have: does anyone know if there's a full video anywhere of Candeloro's "George of the Jungle"? I've watched the snippet that's available, but I heard he jumped in a judge's lap at one point, and that's definitely not in the video that's on youtube!
    Where/when would that have been? If I knew the specific event I may have an old VHS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Was it Yagudin?
    Yes, it was Yagudin in the background who made fun of Irina Slutskaya's final moves in her FS at 2001 Goodwill Games. I have it on tape!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaud View Post
    Where/when would that have been? If I knew the specific event I may have an old VHS
    2001 Hallmark Pro? Longshot, but worth a try!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    2001 Hallmark Pro? Longshot, but worth a try!
    I don't know if this is the video with him interacting with the judge, but it is um kind of odd....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwWknPW_SMg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BmcC102 View Post
    Yes, it was Yagudin in the background who made fun of Irina Slutskaya's final moves in her FS at 2001 Goodwill Games. I have it on tape!
    LOL! Imagine if Yagudin had stayed til 2005. He probably would have made fun of Slutskaya feeding the chickent too!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Here's one: male skater, I think late 90's GP event, in morning practice he jams his skate in to launch a toe jump and his blade gets stuck in the ice and falls off his skate, he spins the jump and lands with a huge thud on the bladeless skate. They showed this clip just prior to the LP on ABC coverage. Sound familiar to anyone and is there a clip?

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    - Euro gymnastics blond dread picking/eating lady: I searched for it, couldn't find it, but I got to see some Boginskaya!

- Carmen, 1988: You're right, nobody's making fun of Katarina! Just some lady patted the guy taking the picture on the head. All these years I thought he was patting his own head making fun of Witt's fan-headdress!

- Samuelson/Bates: Yes, we always hear how partners say, "OUR mistake," etc. It's just interesting because Dube/Davison kept on skating after he almost sliced her eyeball out of her head.

- Hubert: Ahh, I'd love to see the one Clay mentioned. Thanks for the this color video, but it wasn't as voidy! On the grainy version I swear she shot up in front of the judges a few times! Snapped an elastic band around her arm with her teeth and everything!

- Markova: I was just saying both routines were crazy. I just remember Markova was always so stone-faced, and said she was studying choreography. I could see the avante-garde-ness of Harlem Nocturne, but not of the broadway LP. You know, that one year she was broadcast on TV a million times ... 1995. I remember going to Costco and seeing hundreds of her on the TV screens.

- Asada. Hmm, almost, but not quite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyUwtmch9w#t=5m51s
    Hmm, a kinder, gentler Carruthers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTlds...fvwrel#t=5m28s
    Whoa, Mao suddenly got a lot better at the interviews with Peter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfs-5VZyDjk

AH, found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uowjF2AUGpI#t=1m09s

Not quite as crazy as I hoped, but still.

- Oda: Oh my. I couldn't find the interview, but I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxlFg-CkDY

Yeesh! After a 132?!

I remember there was an entire year where his mom would throw a yellow towel in his face in the Kiss and Cry so the camera wouldn't see him bawling. Perhaps it was the same year as the Carruthers interview!

However, I do think his Zatoichi program is a gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjgH-f6LUJA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Here's one: male skater, I think late 90's GP event, in morning practice he jams his skate in to launch a toe jump and his blade gets stuck in the ice and falls off his skate, he spins the jump and lands with a huge thud on the bladeless skate. They showed this clip just prior to the LP on ABC coverage. Sound familiar to anyone and is there a clip?
    Ah, that was Ivan Dinev at Nation's Cup.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrlv4ylnNGg

It's difficult to see since someone filmed from their TV (whaaat? ) but you can get an idea.

LOL at a a million TVs showing Olga Markova!!!!!! That sounds like a void to last a lifetime. If I could just see her Bolero one more time...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Ah, that was Ivan Dinev at Nation's Cup.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrlv4ylnNGg

It's difficult to see since someone filmed from their TV (whaaat? ) but you can get an idea.
    My goodness the blade just broke off his skate mounting. Never seen that before.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast