Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The wonderful Ashley Wagner

A thread for fans and admirers of this marvelous skater who has blossomed in a real artist! I absolutely can’t wait to see her growing the programs through the season and at the same time can’t stop watching the videos from TEB. May this year be Ashley’s year!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting what I posted yesterday in the U.S. Ladies thread...

Jean-Christophe Berlot spoke with Ashley before her free skate at TEB: Bringing the drama: Wagner in a class of her own
    Excerpt:
    "I spent a lot of time studying Michelle Kwan's programs, and the way she would interact with the audience. Michelle was so beloved from the audience. She skated to perform, not only to win. It's certainly a level I would like to reach -- both for the results and the performing success. That would be the best of both worlds."

"I wish skating had more strong individuals, some champions the audience can latch on to. In the U.S., the skating audience is dwindling now. I'd like to go back to what it was in Michelle Kwan's times. Performance is what people come to watch, beyond technique. Of course, you go for the elements, where you get the points. But the components are also so important."

"I think that I have turned into a performer now, even though I, of course, need to remain concentrated and focused on my technical elements. I have found the 'happy medium' between being a technical athlete and a performer, I think."

Showing a strong personality and feeling it inside her does not prevent Wagner from having her own questions, though.

"The biggest challenge for me now is to experience all the success I have and not let it intimidate me," she offered. "Maintaining that upward spiral of success and yet being able to mentally handle it. That is my biggest challenge."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I've been meaning to start an Ashley Wagner thread since, like, 2009. I always figured somebody else would get around to it eventually. It seems that Ashley has the laziest fans in the history of skating fandom, or at least on this board. But hey, at least we won't be starting flame wars with the uberfans of her competitors. We're way too apathetic for that. But seriously, I'm so impressed with how she's grown since last season, and with how prepared she looks already this season. It reminds me of Kostner last season and Ando the season before. I think a World medal is in the cards, although I dare not hope for a gold, at least not out loud. Not yet. Can't wait for GPF and Nationals though.

vCash
    Indeed.
    I was never on Ashley's bandwagon. I thought- "Yet another US lady who doublefoots all her jumps". Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.
    The work she accomplished in two years is amazing. The assurity of her skating now!
    Here she is compared with Kwan. Not sure I see it yet; I see more of Rochette ( not because of music choice, but rather of style)- a very smart, very athletic skater ( they both have gorgeous athletic backs) who worked on whatever was lacking to create a complete skater. I admire Ashley a great deal, and am starting to believe she indeed can be on a World podium. She is so consistent these days ( knock on wood!), and so joyfully confident, she is a champion!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    May this year be Ashley’s year!
    yes, please! but what I've just thought was: 'and please skating gods let her to have a good Olympics'. I remember that I was heartbroken for her in 2010 when she didn't make a team for OG. but she is one tough cookie with amazing work ethic. 3 years later and just look where she is! she deserves it so much. I admire her determination.

vCash
    Her long program is fanstastic.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have been a fan since she first stepped on to the scene. She has always had the talent but my has she really blossomed over the last couple of seasons. She makes me LOVE skating in the same way Kwan did. It is incredible.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I did enjoy her freeskate today. She totally deserved first place.

vCash
    She always had the talent but for some reason she never quite got the breaks, had the performance at the right time, or had the right combination of things come together to get noticed. It is nice to see it finally happening for her. I hope she wins Worlds this year.

vCash
    I've been a fan since her first senior season-she had so much spunk! Refinement was obviously needed, but you could just tell she had a great competitive fire. And she is transformed today, into the skater I always thought she was capable of being. I hope the season continues to go well for her!

vCash
    I always knew Ashley had all the qualities to be a champion although most people on this forum never believed in her. It was always to me that someone like Rachael Flatt held up US ladies skatings between 2008-2010. Mirai and Ashley to me always had all the qualities needed to be a champions and Ashley finally is realizing that.

vCash
    It's lovely to be proven right, isn't it? I'm so glad the world is finally seeing what we longtime ubers always knew she had in her!

Also, as the fangirls say, I'm shipping John Nicks with Ashley's skate guards. They truly are a match made in heaven.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    My favourite skater is Kwan, and I am not afraid to admit that; I have memorized every one of her programs at each individual competition. So yeah you can call me a crazy fan!! Kwan made me love to watch skating, I was (and am) blown away watching her same programs over and over again. I never had that same love for another skater. I always watch all skating events, so I'd seen Ashley before and I admired her attack in her long programs; something I liked about Kwan. While I admired that, I never liked her as a skater as I found her to be sloppy and unrefined, I found she rushed every element and movement, and I found that her technique was what I would call "throw yourself in the air, close your eyes, pull in and hope for the best!". AKA no consistency, something I see as a necessity for a great ladies champion.

I went to Skate Canada International last year and as soon as I saw her long program live, I knew she would be my new favourite skater. Funny how one program changed it all for me. Her long program had the entire arena captivated, something that I would venture to say that none of the other competitors did that day. Akiko came close. Ashley attacked everything, and the refinement and sound jump technique was finally there. Ever since then, I've been what I would consider one of her biggest fans! I'm always watching her skating, over and over again. I actually bought tickets to 2013 Worlds Ladies sp and lp specifically to see her skate again. She captivates me the way Kwan always did, and it's so exciting that I've found someone who I can appreciate just as much. It's not that I'm comparing the two, or saying that they're on the same level or anything. It's just that Ashley takes me to that place where only Kwan could before.

Basically I wish her the best, and I hope she has a long and fantastic career ahead of her. She deserves it, she's a fighter and that's a rare breed in ladies skating.

vCash
    Ashley has impressed me since I saw her for the first time in '07. To me, she balances athleticism and artistry nicely and I just want to say that it is refreshing to see a US lady w/ attack and ambition.

vCash
    I have found my uber home.

I've adored Ash ever since Nationals 2010 (the first skating comp. I ever watched outside the Olympics!), where her grit and fire (and costumes!) impressed me. Her skating is lovely and she always looks beautiful on the ice! Plus, she seems like a really lovely person. I admire her and I hope she gets the mainstream recognition athletes like the Fierce Five have gotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Indeed.
    I was never on Ashley's bandwagon. I thought- "Yet another US lady who doublefoots all her jumps". Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.
    The work she accomplished in two years is amazing. The assurity of her skating now!
    Here she is compared with Kwan. Not sure I see it yet; I see more of Rochette ( not because of music choice, but rather of style)- a very smart, very athletic skater ( they both have gorgeous athletic backs) who worked on whatever was lacking to create a complete skater. I admire Ashley a great deal, and am starting to believe she indeed can be on a World podium. She is so consistent these days ( knock on wood!), and so joyfully confident, she is a champion!
    It's funny that people are comparing her to Kwan. I always thought, and think even more now, that she has/had a similar style to Tara Lipinski.

vCash
    I don't think she's like either of them, personally. I like all three, but I think all their styles are very different. But it would be lovely if Ashley ended up having Michelle's consistency!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Who knows...maybe in 5-10 (or more!) years, we'll be comparing other skaters to Ashley!

vCash
    With her excellent showing in the current GP competitions, looks like Ashley is going to the golden girl of USA indeed. Olympic gold is certainly within her reach given the current field at this current time. USA may have found someone to take over Kwan's crown. Wishing Ashley many gold medals to come.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash

...is what I have to say!

Was in the arena at TEB and had one of the best feelings you can have as an audience, which is knowing after a few seconds that she's going to nail everything and that you can just relax and enjoy the experience.
    Touching the void.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast