Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Get your twinkies & ding dongs while you can!

The company that makes those iconic brands from our childhood is on the verge of gong out of business. Hostess, which also makes wonder bread, is in bankruptcy and has asked it's workers for massive pay and benefit cuts. About a third of it's workforce is saying no so Hostess has closed it's doors. I LOVE twinkies and must remember to try and get some today.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-73334165/
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    No more HoHo's?

vCash
    It has just been announced that the company is liquidating and all assets will be sold off.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle5362783/
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I expect at least some of the popular brands will be sold to other manufacturers and may continue, but Hostess is such a reminder of childhood. I'd miss yodels.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    :

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...stess/1708127/

"Do it, shut it down," a woman yelled at 5 p.m. Thursday from the picket line formed at the company's Indianapolis plant.

As many as 45 people in the picket line chanted, "No pension, no deal," as they walked a tight circle in the growing cold and gathering darkness.

Their picketing drew frequent supportive honks from passing drivers.

Wedrick Hollingsworth, business agent for Local 372-B of the bakers union, said union members took wage and benefit concessions four years ago and are unwilling to accept further wage cuts and reductions in health and pension benefits sought by the company. "It's just too much for these employees to accept. We gave concessions four years ago."

John Smith, a wrapper operator at the plant who has worked for Hostess for 22 years, said he's at peace with his decision to join the strikers. "You have to take a stand for what you believe in. They gave us a take-it-or-leave-it deal. We can't take the financial abuse."
    Well, I hope they enjoy their unemployment. I expect that they will also lose a parts or all of their pensions, depending on how things are set up there, and they will lose their health care too. Sometimes the stupidity of unions amazes me.

The Teamsters union is urging the bakers union to hold a secret ballot on whether to continue striking. Citing its financial experts who had access to the company's books, the Teamsters say that Hostess' warning of liquidation is "not an empty threat or a negotiating tactic" but a certain outcome if workers keep striking.
    I feel bad for the Teamsters Union members (as well as for the non-union employees).

All that said, I haven't bought many Hostess products in years, unless they are on sale. Little Debbie is just as good, and way cheaper.

vCash
    I hope that their pensions were funded appropriately and legally so that they do not lose them. I thought that was the law. I haven't heard all of the information so I don't know if there is any corporate greed going on or how well the workers were paid in relation to their skills. Hopefully they can all get something worked out for now and go from there.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    We were not allowed to eat Twinkies or Ding Dongs or anything from Hostess or Little Debbie when we were kids. I actually think they're kind of disgusting. So I won't miss them much.

But no doubt they were iconic. Now will the grandkids understand what is so funny about Wall-E's pet cockroach living in a Twinkie?

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Well I guess the good news is that you can buy a bunch now and stock up while they're still around ... and not worry about them going rotten. Ever.

And does anyone else wish that the demise of the Twinkie had even the slightest bit to do with, you know, taste rather than a labour dispute?

BTW, Wonder Bread lovers in Canada can still get their fix, as it's made by Weston breads here so will be unaffected. And Saputo in Canada makes Jos. Louis and May West. But not Twinkies or Ding-Dongs.

RIP, petroleum-based snack "food" product.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    We were not allowed to eat Twinkies or Ding Dongs or anything from Hostess or Little Debbie when we were kids. I actually think they're kind of disgusting. So I won't miss them much.

But no doubt they were iconic. Now will the grandkids understand what is so funny about Wall-E's pet cockroach living in a Twinkie?
    Yeah....nobody will understand some scenes in ZombieLand or Die Hard either. I always thought Twinkies were kind of gross too, but they're definitely a part of American culture. (Not necessarily a great part, but.....)

vCash
    Does Hostess make Zingers? If so

vCash
    A co-worker husband just went out and stocked up, a friend posted from her workplace with a picture of their breakroom table, upon which was spread with an assortment of products, and I just got an email from a co-worker that there is a gathering in a few minutes that will feature - Twinkies, Zingers, Ding Dongs, Cupcakes, Fruit Pies and milk (lowfat—of course)

My favorite were Susi-Q's

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    ... and I just got an email from a co-worker that there is a gathering in a few minutes that will feature - Twinkies, Zingers, Ding Dongs, Cupcakes, Fruit Pies and milk (lowfat—of course)

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I expect at least some of the popular brands will be sold to other manufacturers and may continue....
    I agree, just hope they don't make a 'new and improved' version of a Twinkie.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    It's the pink Sno Balls that I'm mourning.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post

Well, I hope they enjoy their unemployment. I expect that they will also lose a parts or all of their pensions, depending on how things are set up there, and they will lose their health care too. Sometimes the stupidity of unions amazes me.

This. Another reason I am thankful not to work for a unionized company - that's why I've remained employed in spite of the recession. Our hours may have been cut for 40 weeks, but at least no one got laid off, and we got unemployment (thanks NYS DOL!) for the hours we didn't work.

vCash
    Ho-Hos. It's all about the Ho-Hos.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    It's the pink Sno Balls that I'm mourning.
    Oooooooh. I used to eat the chocolate cake first and then the marshmallowy stuff on it's own.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    For Twinkie lovers:

this link should take you to a recipe (scroll all the way down):

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/386814...al|utmctr=(not provided)|utmcct=/&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned By=msnbc|cover=1^12=Landing Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit Type to Content=Earned to Mixed=1&__utmk=177451557&__utma=14933801.10791800. 1342394749.1353083486.1353100689.354&__utmb=149338 01.11.9.1353101001016&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1346949859.221.35.utmcsr=nbcnews. com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmctr=(not% 20provided)|utmcct=/&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12 =Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=w ww.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Ea rned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=177451557

From the Bloc
    vCash
    And of course you'll want a copy of this: The Twinkies Cookbook.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast