Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    And while it is sexualizing girls (in the truest sense of the word) I'm not convinced that having girls be aware of the capabilities of their adult bodies is really a bad thing.
    As children at the age of having dolls? Should there be dolls to demonstrate how to have sex as well? How about dolls teaching children how to get themselves (or another, while we're at it) to climax?

Young girls wearing a fake breast - which is so realistic is has a flower over the nipple, which is actually just a flower attached to a halter top and nothing like an actual breast - so they can learn how to breast feed is like giving a young boy a strap on penis (that doesn't look like a penis) and a doll with a vagina (maybe it could have a flower somewhere there) so they can learn how to have sex.

I have nothing against breast feeding, or not breast feeding, but I think this doll is disgusting and inappropriate. Mothers can share the "wonder and magic of motherhood", children are not mothers, they should enjoy the wonder and magic of being children.

What did the customer think?
    Last edited by Angelskates; 11-16-2012 at 01:15 PM.

vCash
    I think that is exactly why I find the toy revolting. We can teach our kids (it is pretty straightforward) about breastfeeding we don't need to give them a doll.

Wow... some toys are truly scary.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I find the toy stupid rather than creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    As children at the age of having dolls? Should there be dolls to demonstrate how to have sex as well? How about dolls teaching children how to get themselves (or another, while we're at it) to climax
    a little over the top don't you think? We are talking about breast feeding here. Not something as personal and private as sex.

vCash
    I personally find breastfeeding a personal and private thing.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    a little over the top don't you think? We are talking about breast feeding here. Not something as personal and private as sex.
    I consider breast feeding both personal and private. I consider the decision on whether to breast feed or not personal and private as well. I don't have a problem with mothers breast feeding in public, but I still consider it a private and personal thing.

Seriously, if this company consider it not personal or private, why don't they make a realistic breast for the doll to suck?

Breast feeding is natural, but there's an appropriate and inappropriate way of breast feeding in public and I think most mothers, given the choice would prefer to breast feed at home because of comfort and convenience, and privacy. All mothers i know hate feeding in public and do as much as possible to avoid it. I've never seen a breast feeding mother "flashing", and it's an art form fiddling things to not expose yourself! Nevertheless mothers do it, both because they don't want to offend others and, I think, because they don't want to expose their own selves.

But the fact is, breasts are not halter neck tops with flowers as nipples. If this company wants to teach, they're not doing a very realistic job of it.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 11-16-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Creepy.

From the website: "The Breast Milk Baby will revolutionize our nation’s attitudes to good infant health, while letting little girls share in the wonder and magic of motherhood. Shouldn’t they be ready for a healthy future?"

I just want to add "in the kitchen."

I think it's totally creepy. 5-year-old girls do NOT need to learn how to breastfeed babies! They'll forget when they hit puberty anyway! This has no reason for existing.

Besides, the ability to breastfeed a baby =/= your "goodness" as a mother.

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    How about we start running ads that encourage little boys to learn how to hold a doll and prepare them to be good fathers, too, instead of this unnecessary, weird stuff?

I had a Professor once comment on how the toys for little girls are mostly geared towards giving the impression that being a good mother might be the most important thing a girl will ever do, and how sad it was that none of the toys for little boys ever are designed to give the impression to boys that being a good father just might be equally as important in their lives. Two of the men in the class who had little boys went out and bought their boys dolls that night and sat and showed them how to hold the baby - together. That made me very happy.
    Awww that's cute.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    I went ahead and bought this: Hopefully she gets enough orders to go mainstream. THIS is a toy girls NEED.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-toy-for-girls
    I saw that yesterday and was like Although I did have Legos and was fine with playing with the boys. But it is SO true that girls are usually not taught to build things.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    It's sexualizing girls to have a doll that they can feed? It's creepy to have little girls modeling mothering behavior? No one needs to learn to breastfeed yet tons of women will post online about how they tried to breastfeed and "just couldn't do it" mainly because they no role models, no practice and don't know the pitfalls to avoid.

You people are the ones creeping me out.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    It's sexualizing girls to have a doll that they can feed? It's creepy to have little girls modeling mothering behavior? No one needs to learn to breastfeed yet tons of women will post online about how they tried to breastfeed and "just couldn't do it" mainly because they no role models, no practice and don't know the pitfalls to avoid.

You people are the ones creeping me out.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    My God. How did our ancestors ever learn to breast feed without a doll to help them?

vCash
    Little girls can easily pretend to breastfeed by holding dolls up to their nipples, without the doll actually doing anything. Heck, even little boys who are exposed to breastfeeding babies might try this sometimes. Just as they might stuff dolls under their shirts to pretend to be pregnant and then pretend to give birth.

The point is that they do this spontaneously, acting out aspects of family life that they learn about around them and using their imaginations for the details that the props don't offer.

Would a doll that sucks make this kind of play any more useful for the kids? I don't see how.

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    As children at the age of having dolls? Should there be dolls to demonstrate how to have sex as well? How about dolls teaching children how to get themselves (or another, while we're at it) to climax?

Young girls wearing a fake breast - which is so realistic is has a flower over the nipple, which is actually just a flower attached to a halter top and nothing like an actual breast - so they can learn how to breast feed is like giving a young boy a strap on penis (that doesn't look like a penis) and a doll with a vagina (maybe it could have a flower somewhere there) so they can learn how to have sex.

I have nothing against breast feeding, or not breast feeding, but I think this doll is disgusting and inappropriate. Mothers can share the "wonder and magic of motherhood", children are not mothers, they should enjoy the wonder and magic of being children.

What did the customer think?
    I really don't have a problem with girls that age being aware of breast feeding. But it's a good point that it's a completely adult act with adult parts and to encourage an adult act might be crossing a line.

The customer was just interested in our opinion. She didn't really offer her opinion. We are pretty careful about the kinds of toys we carry so I think she'd figure we'd be a more objective opinion.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    The customer was just interested in our opinion. She didn't really offer her opinion. We are pretty careful about the kinds of toys we carry so I think she'd figure we'd be a more objective opinion.
    Maybe she was checking out whether or not it would be something you'd carry? A secret seller?
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    I went ahead and bought this: Hopefully she gets enough orders to go mainstream. THIS is a toy girls NEED.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-toy-for-girls
    Thank you! I just pre-ordered this toy for my almost 5-year-old daughter. I too hope it goes mainstream.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    No one needs to learn to breastfeed yet tons of women will post online about how they tried to breastfeed and "just couldn't do it" mainly because they no role models, no practice and don't know the pitfalls to avoid.
    You think this doll will help with that? Will it have trouble latching? Will it cause sore nipples? Will it go through teething?

Maybe you don't like the accusations of "creepy," fine. I don't think creepy is the right description either. But trying to argue that this doll will help women avoid "pitfalls" related to breast feeding? Now that is funny!
    Creating drama!

vCash
    I don't see anything creepy about the doll. *shrugs* Hey we've got dolls that make war (G.I.Joe), dolls with unrealistic figures (Barbie, Bratz, etc), dolls that cry and eat and wet.... I don't see the big deal. If you don't like the concept, don't buy it.

But then I also don't see the need for pastel colored girly "engineering" toys either. Legos and Lincoln Logs and Erector Sets aren't gender-specific.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I lurved me some Tinker Toys when I was a little Southpawette.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    lurved me some Lincoln Logs (original recipe with the actual wood logs full of potential splinters!), Tinkertoys and my brother's racecars when I was a kid
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I can't find regular ol legos anywhere. All the packs I find are Star Wars, Halo, Harry Potter crap. I LOVED lego as a kid.

4 More Years
    vCash
    I don't think it is creepy, but I think it is kind of stupid. Little girls (and sometimes boys) can pretend to breastfeed with a regular doll, this isn't really teaching them anything. And seriously? $89?

I loved the original Lincoln logs and legos when I was a kid.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I can't find regular ol legos anywhere. All the packs I find are Star Wars, Halo, Harry Potter crap. I LOVED lego as a kid.
    Have you tried lego.com? They have a basic brick set but, you're right, most of their stuff is specific to a particular project.
    3539 and counting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast