Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I lurved me some Tinker Toys when I was a little Southpawette.
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    lurved me some Lincoln Logs (original recipe with the actual wood logs full of potential splinters!), Tinkertoys and my brother's racecars when I was a kid
    Loved Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs! There were, also, these colored building blocks, that were (kind of) sticky, that you could build things with. ONly problem was that they got rather gross, because stuff stuck to them !

I don't find the breast feeding doll to be gross, just stupid. I had a Betsy Wetsy when I was a little girl. You fed it water, it came out a little hole in it's crotch area, into a diaper. That was 55+ years ago. Little girls will pretend to breast feed regular dolls. Mine did. When I brought my son home from the hospital, my daughter sat down next to me when I breast fed him. She put her doll to her chest and held it there for a few minutes. Then she looked at me and claimed that was silly and went and got a toy bottle. Kids emulate their parents all of the time. A little girl mimicking their mother breast feeding is not awful. But the doll is dumb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I'm tempted to start a thread pointing out how creepy dolls that pee in a diaper are. I doubt that it'd go to three pages long. It makes me so extremely sad that people find nothing creepy about feeding a baby stuff from a cows glands and even drinking it themselves, yet are completely disgusted by the idea of feeding a baby from a human's glands.

If breasts weren't so sexualised, then children would put the doll up to their bare chest and the sucking noise would be just a novelty.

Hopefully someday humans will look back on this period of time and find the current obsession with mammary glands as repellent as we find the historical Chinese obsession with feet. Walking normally, and feeding babies, both being a function that the female half of our species was evolved to do.
    Rjblue - no one in this thread has said that they're against breast feeding and no one had said anything against breasts.

The problem many, including me, have is that this doll is being promoted as a *teaching tool* so that little girls ages two and up can learn to breast feed, because this company believes all little girls need to learn. I have a major problem with that. I would still be a against it, but would see it as slightly better, if they did use a realistic breast - after all, they're promoting it as a teaching too, not just a toy, and breast feeding isn't done with a halter top and flower nipple.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Rjblue - no one in this thread has said that they're against breast feeding and no one had said anything against breasts.

The problem many, including me, have is that this doll is being promoted as a *teaching tool* so that little girls ages two and up can learn to breast feed, because this company believes all little girls need to learn. I have a major problem with that. I would still be a against it, but would see it as slightly better, if they did use a realistic breast - after all, they're promoting it as a teaching too, not just a toy, and breast feeding isn't done with a halter top and flower nipple.
    That's exactly how I feel about it too. It's the way that they're trying to market it. Let's be real - toddlers do NOT need to learn HOW to breastfeed.

vCash
    ITA too with AS.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I think the idea of the doll being a teaching tool is ludicrous. First, the doll doesn't really breast feed. The child doesn't, exactly, learn anything. It's a hook, an advertising ploy. Idiotic, but not evil.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I think the idea of the doll being a teaching tool is ludicrous. First, the doll doesn't really breast feed. The child doesn't, exactly, learn anything. It's a hook, an advertising ploy. Idiotic, but not evil.
    Exactly.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Yes. God forbid that humans enjoy sexuality in any way, shape or form. We must put a stop to it.
    Over-sexualizing and objectifying breasts is not essential to enjoying sexuality. I find it sad that so many women today think they have to have their breasts enlarged in order to be attractive. Some women have sexual sensations when their breasts are touch, but many don't.

Breasts are not a sexual organ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Over-sexualizing and objectifying breasts is not essential to enjoying sexuality. I find it sad that so many women today think they have to have their breasts enlarged in order to be attractive. Some women have sexual sensations when their breasts are touch, but many don't.

Breasts are not a sexual organ.
    In that vein, I find it particularly amusing that many women lose sensation in their breasts after they get them artificially enlarged.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    In that vein, I find it particularly amusing that many women lose sensation in their breasts after they get them artificially enlarged.
    I suppose the enjoyment, then, becomes psychological. I, personally, don't understand the desire for large breasts. At some point they sag far more than small ones. It's uncomfortable to sleep on your stomach. They hurt your back, neck, and shoulders. I think flat chested and comfortable is far more desirable!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I suppose the enjoyment, then, becomes psychological. I, personally, don't understand the desire for large breasts. At some point they sag far more than small ones. It's uncomfortable to sleep on your stomach. They hurt your back, neck, and shoulders. I think flat chested and comfortable is far more desirable!
    When you're young and naive, you associate breasts with femininity. It's not that I wanted large breasts so that guys could like me (although my first bf was a boob man - no idea why he decided to start dating me ), but I wanted to feel like a woman. It's taken a while for me to reconcile that.

I suppose that whole experience is A LOT more difficult when you're transsexual, but that's a topic for another thread.

But anyway, breasts are just breasts. I don't think making a toy about breastfeeding is going to help the next generation accept that breastfeeding is normal. What we need is more acceptance for breastfeeding in public, but due to the natural mothering movement, I imagine it's the women who want/have to use formula that will need more acceptance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    When you're young and naive, you associate breasts with femininity. It's not that I wanted large breasts so that guys could like me (although my first bf was a boob man - no idea why he decided to start dating me ), but I wanted to feel like a woman. It's taken a while for me to reconcile that.
    And not having big breasts. When you do, you understand the cons .

But anyway, breasts are just breasts. I don't think making a toy about breastfeeding is going to help the next generation accept that breastfeeding is normal. What we need is more acceptance for breastfeeding in public, but due to the natural mothering movement, I imagine it's the women who want/have to use formula that will need more acceptance.
    I agree that we don't need a toy to teach little girls about breastfeeding. And, quite frankly, I don't think this toy does do that. However, little girls will emulate their mothers. They will breastfeed their baby dolls, regardless of whether they are made for that purpose or not. Therefore, I don't see anything gross or wrong with this toy. I do think the marketing is ridiculous. And I think the toy is unnecessary. Little girls will learn about breastfeeding from their mommies, they don't need awkward, unnatural dolls for that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345