Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Rayna's going to come home, open the door and go "I smell SKANK!" Or Peggy will 'accidentally' leave something somewhere... I'm waiting for the fireworks when Rayna confronts that hag.
    Honestly I'd be livid if I were Rayna. He's entitled to have a girlfriend as they are separated, but bringing her into the home where Rayna and their daughters still live? I'd be considering court action on that one.

But at the same time, it does make for good tv

I really like KWP and would like to see her develop this character a little more dimensional than suicidal bunny boiler, and I'd certainly like to see her smart side come out. Does anyone remember the shortlived soap of about 20 years ago called Savannah (ooo shows cancelled too soon thread!)? There was a character on it - Peyton - who is the perfect prototype for what Peggy could be. Smart, sexy, would stop at nothing to get what she wanted. Perhaps a little affair with Lamar? She'd be far more interesting as a potential step mom for Rayna and Tandy than for Maddie and Daphne. Even better if she uses her questionable financial tactics to somehow wrap herself up in the music business.

But then again, what I like about the show is that it's about the characters, and the music business, and it's probably better if it doesn't turn into Knots Landing!

vCash
    Hmm. Double post. Although I did just get to the bit where Juliet seduces Dante. Yeah. Don't like that! And who the hell rips their clothes off that quickly?!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    I just caught up! I love the song the Stella sisters sang

Amazing drinking game idea - they do always show the audience their back!

vCash
    Dragging this up from page 2. Doesn't bode well for us.

Note for future viewers - do not 'marathon' this show. You won't understand ANYONE's motivations since they switch from week to week.

Juliette has met her slimy match in that 'sober companion'. But, I'm going to enjoy watching those two together, until he gets the 'trap door' treatment and disappears without much of a noise (see virgin qb, and original manager for examples).

Rayna and daddy - I really liked these scenes. It was nice to see her and Tandy interact, I guess Tandy stepped up when momma ran off? We got more backstory on Rayna, which was good.
    If/when daddy recovers, I can see him being really ticked at Tandy for going to Teddy. Guess daddy's right hand man didn't tell Tandy that dad was trying to bribe Peggy FREAKING Kentor? But, Tandy's all 'protect my family' while daddy's looking for a deal. And has Rayna not gone home yet? Or did Teddy febreeze the 'smell of skank' out of the house?

Deacon's still our moral compass on the show - but I'm wondering who he'd pick if he had to choose - Ray or the vet? Also liked Deacon stepping in to help Avery. Given their backstory, he could have walked away laughing. But, now that slime companion is the manager, I guess Avery shouldn't rely on that job? Or will he step in and save the day when/if Deacon walks off yet another tour?

Also - I'm not a fan of upstairs cowboy. He can fall down the stairs and disappear any time. Maybe scary hair can join him. Wonder if Rayna's label will do a makeover on Scarlett? If so, can they chop that wig off her?

vCash

Also - I'm not a fan of upstairs cowboy. He can fall down the stairs and disappear any time. Maybe scary hair can join him. Wonder if Rayna's label will do a makeover on Scarlett? If so, can they chop that wig off her?
    Rayna's label needs to do a makeover on Rayna; she's got the worst wig/extensions/hairdo/whatever of the lot. Makes Connie Britton look 10 years older than she needs to.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    lest night's episode was terrible - it ran like someone picked up the bits that were intended to be scrapped and pasted them together. If you dig really deep you can find some worthwhile bits, but whoever edited this ep must have been out with Scarlett and the boys.

Who here was expecting that Avery would get the opening slot for Juliette's suddenly solo concert? Kind of nice that instead, he was caught between being hired and being fired all day long.

Dante is totally giving me a Terrible Ellis vibe now...except I wish the preview had been right and he'd really been involved with both Juliette and Jolene, instead of Jolene pathetically throwing herself at him (and wow, even Sylvia Jeffries seemed embarrassed by having to do that scene). But I'm looking forward to his insinuating himself into Juliette's life, even if it's a complete 180 from how the character started.

The expression on Scarlett's face when she had to sip the champagne she'd been given at the record label meeting...it was just a brief look right as she walked offscreen, but it was believable and funny. That wig is starting to take on a life of its own, though.

Please let Upstairs Neighbor put the moves on Gunner. I so thought he was going to try to steal Scarlett away (why? So she can get even more lucky breaks and his career can go down the toilet? And who even knew that Gunner and Scarlett's house had an upstairs apartment, anyway?), but the daredevil bromance is hilarious.

Peggy FREAKING Kentor sure looked like she'd already moved into the James mansion for good, hmm? I don't really understand why the press isn't watching the home of a country superstar who's going through a public divorce....how are they not on the cover of US Weekly? Her phone call was totally creepy...she's thisclose to boiling one of the kids' bunnies.

Deacon is the only thing that saved this episode from sailing off into pure Smash-level melodrama (not that that's a bad thing, but it ain't this show - or wasn't, anyway). He starts out so committed to his new gf, stands up for Avery, re-establishes his "family" relationship with Rayna, and ends by not even telling Vet Girl that he'd already been back and letting her believe he came back just for her. He's complicated, that one.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Deacon is the only thing that saved this episode from sailing off into pure Smash-level melodrama (not that that's a bad thing, but it ain't this show - or wasn't, anyway). He starts out so committed to his new gf, stands up for Avery, re-establishes his "family" relationship with Rayna, and ends by not even telling Vet Girl that he'd already been back and letting her believe he came back just for her.
    How great was it when Juliette tells Deacon that he should stop thinking of Rayna as family and he replies, "Yeah, she is" and takes off to be there for Rayna? Yeah, take that!

vCash
    I think the actress who plays Scarlett just has scary hair. I don't think it's a wig

I also like Rayna's hair. Shorter hair styles can make middle aged women look so much older, IMO.

The plot...changes so much. The first few eps were great, but it's a bit meh lately. Scarlett and Gunnar's duet was one of the things I LOVED about the first ep. When are they going to get them back as a duet? It was a good twist but...meh.

vCash
    Deacon's still our moral compass on the show
    If Deacon's our moral compass, we're in trouble. I don't deny he's got a kind heart, but he's also got more issues than Reader's Digest.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Hey now, give Deacon credit for kicking the bottle and not having four ex-wives. That's pretty impressive for a Nashville songwriter.

vCash
    Please let Upstairs Neighbor put the moves on Gunner. I so thought he was going to try to steal Scarlett away (why? So she can get even more lucky breaks and his career can go down the toilet? And who even knew that Gunner and Scarlett's house had an upstairs apartment, anyway?), but the daredevil bromance is hilarious.
    I really thought the neighbor was going to put the moves on Gunner last night. Then, when they were driving toward the train tracks, I thought that Gunner would be killed and we no longer would have to suffer the ridiculous Scarlett/Gunner romance plot line. I guess not. I'll just hope that Gunner and neighbor hook up and ride off into the sunset.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Until I read comments here it didn't occur to me that upstairs neighbour might have come by way of Brokeback Mountain. I didn't think he was after Scarlett either - more that he's realized they have connections and wants to use them to get ahead. No mistake that he wanted to duet with someone just signed to a big label, and to work on songs with someone with a songwriting contract. As I said earlier, I'm expecting him to steal some of their songs, or after this ep, for him to accuse Gunner of stealing his songs. It would be an interesting addition to the story if we're trying to cover the music business in Nashville.

If he's just a gay cowboy who's going to get the trap door (love that dbell!) then meh.

Love Deacon standing up for Avery - he might be his favourite niece's ex, but to Deacon, he's also a young musician who deserves respect and a chance.

Hate the Juliette appointed Dante her manager. It's as bad as Nolan making Padma CFO when he'd known her for 5 minutes and she had no credentials. Hello writers, we are not stupid, and Juliette shouldn't be either.

Loved learning more about Tandy - I've been interested in her character from the start, so I'm glad they are bringing her forward more, and we get to learn more about Rayna at the same time. Interesting that Tandy and Lamar are now more in Rayna's story, and Teddy's story is also more about the effect on Rayna that all the city hall stuff. Maybe they've listened to fans on this one - this show is about characters and the music business, not local politics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Until I read comments here it didn't occur to me that upstairs neighbour might have come by way of Brokeback Mountain. I didn't think he was after Scarlett either - more that he's realized they have connections and wants to use them to get ahead. No mistake that he wanted to duet with someone just signed to a big label, and to work on songs with someone with a songwriting contract. As I said earlier, I'm expecting him to steal some of their songs, or after this ep, for him to accuse Gunner of stealing his songs. It would be an interesting addition to the story if we're trying to cover the music business in Nashville.

If he's just a gay cowboy who's going to get the trap door (love that dbell!) then meh.
    You've put your finger on the current problem, even though we don't yet know how this particular storyline will turn out -- when they could be giving us all these interesting music industry stories (like they used to), instead they mostly just give us the same blah bed-hopping that we could get on almost any other show. It's lazy and annoying.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The show might be in that period after the first episodes, desperate to establish a fan base and get renewed, when they start to respond to the early feedback from fans/advertisers/network execs, make some changes, and then find out that they made the wrong choices. Hopefully by the final eps of the season, things straighten out a bit and they get renewed, and then have a chance to really think about it as they head into a second season. There is so much potential for stories here, so many great characters, and the production quality is really high, so I really hope this continues!

And I don't mind the bedhopping when it's in character but doesn't drive plot too much - ie Deacon's escapades make total sense for that character. Juliette's do too from the point of view that she's young and horny and looking for human connections (due to her childhood, and the weird position of being loved and adored by millions, but totally separate from them). But what I don't like is the sex driving the plot - suddenly Dante's her manager, and the mother daughter triangle is just a bit much. The developing relationship between Juliette and her mother was getting really interesting, and real - that either of them acted on feelings for Dante, and that he was open to it, sort of blows that whole storyline IMO.
    Last edited by Jenny; 04-12-2013 at 02:44 PM.

vCash
    Hate the Juliette appointed Dante her manager.
    I suspect that one won't last long. The guy already overstepped his bounds with the Avery sitch, so he'll probably soon make a unilateral decision that ticks off Juliette. Or he'll get caught skimming her accounts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I think the actress who plays Scarlett just has scary hair. I don't think it's a wig
    Wow! That's her real hair? She looks better off set. Wonder if the rat's nest is on purpose then?

I'm convinced Avery's next up in Juliette's bed. Then she'll go after Teddy.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I'm convinced Avery's next up in Juliette's bed.

vCash
    Wow! That's her real hair? She looks better off set. Wonder if the rat's nest is on purpose then?
    Yep - although she may have extensions. Fake accent, real hair. I think the actress is just kooky. She has an open twitter profile and always posts pictures of her very odd animals and other things. I get the impression she's quite eccentric.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    [QUOTE=*Jen*;3898654]I think the actress who plays Scarlett just has scary hair. I don't think it's a wig /QUOTE]
    well, that's unfortunate. Here's a picture where she looks MUCH better, even though she still has long blonde hair. I agree with those who say extensions.

Until I read comments here it didn't occur to me that upstairs neighbour might have come by way of Brokeback Mountain.
    I don't really think that either - I'm just at the point where Gunner's moping and Scarlett's snivelling are so irritating that 1)I'll believe anything they throw at us and 2) the sillier the better. It is clear that Upstairs Boy isn't all he presents himself to be, and it's likely he's just after contacts and possibly songs, as you surmise. Or, even more likely, he'll become Gunner's best buddy who inspires him to get back into music and then die horribly while chasing trains in about 2 episodes and the whole are will be for nothing

And for those who wonder about the bed-hopping, NBC was doing aggressive ads for the return of Nashville after its last break that specifically highlighted all the bed hopping. They clearly think that's a big draw, so I'd expect it to increase, not decrease. I think they're going for a Desperate Housewives (a show that started great then became a parody of itself...please don't let this happen to Nashville!) vibe. Forget Teddy, Juliette will be going after Lamar once he's out of the hospital!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash

And for those who wonder about the bed-hopping, NBC was doing aggressive ads for the return of Nashville after its last break that specifically highlighted all the bed hopping. They clearly think that's a big draw, so I'd expect it to increase, not decrease.
    Yeah, I saw those too. But if the bulk of the audience finds it as boring and off-putting as some of us here do, it could play havoc with the ratings. We'll see . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny
    The show might be in that period after the first episodes, desperate to establish a fan base and get renewed, when they start to respond to the early feedback from fans/advertisers/network execs, make some changes, and then find out that they made the wrong choices. Hopefully by the final eps of the season, things straighten out a bit and they get renewed, and then have a chance to really think about it as they head into a second season.
    That makes a lot of sense. Hope they think long and hard!

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast