Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

vCash
    This may have been my favourite episode of Nashville ever. This is the first time I felt the cast was a cohesive unit. I loved the Scarlett/Deacon dynamic, the actual friendliness between Juliette and Rayna, an actual scene of depth between Rayna and Will, that snapshot of the youngest daughter reacting to her parents separating, etc.

Oh boy, I totally agree about Tandy. I don't know another tv character with so little of their own life.

I think Tandy would be a perfect fit for Rayna's record company. Tandy would *so* kick that Harvard guy's butt.

ETA: OMG, Harvard Guy is Oliver Hudson?!?!
    Last edited by manhn; 10-03-2013 at 04:18 AM.

vCash
    Well put, manhn.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Enjoyed this ep much more than the season opener. I'm often disappointed by season openers when they put so much into the finale without really thinking how it will continue, and then we spend the first ep trying to wrap up and bridge over (Revenge was really bad for that last week, almost laughable).

I was concerned about Oliver Hudson being cast, knowing him only as the dumb guy on Rules of Engagement, but he really fit the part and did a great job. Love the inside looks at the business that were throughout this ep. Will's decision was interesting - does he go with artist integrity, or a sure shot at stardom? Given that he's personally living a lie, it's no stretch that he decides to go with Jeff instead of Rayna. Jeff is clearly the new guy proving himself to his new bosses with big moves and focused only on the next quarter's numbers, but what happens over the long term when he forgets to nurture artists and sustain long term revenue?

Love love the complicated and evolving relationship between Rayna and Juliette, and love Avery and Juliette together as friends, love seeing more Tandy but totally agree she needs her own story this season! I want to know more about Tandy - and I LOVE the idea of her getting into the record business. She needs to run Hwy 65.

vCash
    Given all that's going on in the country music industry right now, the parts of the episode about the business were dead-on. So dead-on that once or twice I thought, "Whoa, hope they don't get themselves in trouble with some real-life Nashville people . . ." Given that a lot of the personal stuff is so silly and over-the-top, the devastatingly accurate picture of the music business is all the more impressive.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Loved it. It was great all around.

Loved that Teddy and Rayna are coming to an understanding and he was a good guy here. I think they 180'd Teddy too much last year.

Love the idea of Tandy being at Rayna's record company. Pretty sure that is going to happen. Glad to see Scarlett get some grit and a comb.

I love the SL of Will the closeted Country star. Plus he needs to be shirtless every episode.

Loved Juliette and Avery. Wasn't a fan of him last year. But i like their friendship. I hope they don't hit the sack too soon.

Oliver Hudson is great. Can't tell if he is going to end up sleeping with Juliette or Will.

Really loved Gunnar's song. He is so going to be on Rayna's label.

Thing Juliette is going to leave Edgehill eventually and Rayna is going to offer her an Olive Branch on her label. Hayden is an amazing actress. She is so able to balance her narcissism with her damaged but good heart. At points you want to smack her and then you want to hug her. She is a great character on this show. And feels like a real artist/performer to me.

Deacon's self-loathing was getting tired but I am glad their seems to be the beginning of the end. I do hope there is a scene in which Rayna takes some culpability in keeping this secret. Right now I feel that Deacon is the only a##hole but what Rayna kept from him was really unfair despite her valid reasons. I thought she handled the discovery of it to him rather badly. So did he. But I can see how an addict would go back down the rabbit hole after finding out that especially since you just got back with the person who has been the love of your life forever. It's a clusterf##k obviously but I don't like the idea of Deacon being completely to blame here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    Deacon's self-loathing was getting tired but I am glad their seems to be the beginning of the end. I do hope there is a scene in which Rayna takes some culpability in keeping this secret. Right now I feel that Deacon is the only a##hole but what Rayna kept from him was really unfair despite her valid reasons. I thought she handled the discovery of it to him rather badly. So did he. But I can see how an addict would go back down the rabbit hole after finding out that especially since you just got back with the person who has been the love of your life forever. It's a clusterf##k obviously but I don't like the idea of Deacon being completely to blame here.
    I think the whole line through that story is that Deacon can't be with Rayna and stay sober. She was right in ending it with some finality (but this is Nashville...give it 3 weeks... ). Anyway. She didn't know when she chose Teddy that the 5th time in rehab would work, yet having chosen Teddy...she couldn't just go back and play happy families with Deacon. The time to tell him about Maddie would have been when she first found out, because after that...there was no good time. I agree. All around cluster **** and not Deacon's fault, nor entirely Rayna's.

I totally agree that Gunnar is going to end up on that label...but while I'd love him to be there as an artist in his own right, I also want more Scarlett/Gunnar duets! I also predict that Gunnar, Juliette and Avery will all be on Hwy 65 by the end of the season...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    I guess I'm the only one who thought Oliver Hudson was meh. I have zero interest in his character and I'd be happy if he went away. I think he was brought on to be a love interest for Rayna, not Juliette or Will.

vCash
    I think Oliver provides an antagonist vibe that the show originally wanted with Rayna and Tandy's father. Personally, I find the actor playing the dad absolutely atrocious, and think Hudson plays the villain role well (in the sense that we're supposed to hate him--none of that Avery-is-not-a-bad-guy-because-he's-insecure BS).

Tandy needs to sleep with someone. Hudson can also fulfill that role too (assuming Tandy's straight--I have no clue).

vCash
    Tandy's not a main character though, really. I don't think she'll get much of her own screen time unless she gets a cult following, because she only has a facilitatory role (looking after the kids, being a mole to the feds, helping Teddy win an election etc).

That said...didn't she sleep with someone after the awards ceremony late last season? When Rayna got into the car (just before Deacon got in and demanded to know if he was Maddie's father), she said she had a lift and I think there was a smile and wink towards Bucky...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I think the whole line through that story is that Deacon can't be with Rayna and stay sober. She was right in ending it with some finality (but this is Nashville...give it 3 weeks... ). Anyway. She didn't know when she chose Teddy that the 5th time in rehab would work, yet having chosen Teddy...she couldn't just go back and play happy families with Deacon. The time to tell him about Maddie would have been when she first found out, because after that...there was no good time. I agree. All around cluster **** and not Deacon's fault, nor entirely Rayna's.

I totally agree that Gunnar is going to end up on that label...but while I'd love him to be there as an artist in his own right, I also want more Scarlett/Gunnar duets! I also predict that Gunnar, Juliette and Avery will all be on Hwy 65 by the end of the season...
    I totally agree with your reasoning. But Rayna knew quite a bit before Maddie went to Deacon. And I believe if I remember correctly she had an opportunity to tell him and she didn't take. I get she was protecting her family but she already knew that Maddie knew. and she and Deacon just got back together. I just want Rayna to admit some culpability in why Deacon felt so messed up and betrayed. I don't think Rayna is to blame for his alcoholism any more then I think they can't be together without him turning to booze.

vCash
    I totally agree with your reasoning. But Rayna knew quite a bit before Maddie went to Deacon. And I believe if I remember correctly she had an opportunity to tell him and she didn't take. I get she was protecting her family but she already knew that Maddie knew. and she and Deacon just got back together. I just want Rayna to admit some culpability in why Deacon felt so messed up and betrayed. I don't think Rayna is to blame for his alcoholism any more then I think they can't be together without him turning to booze.
    It's been 13 years...I would say Rayna had a LOT of opportunity to tell him! She chose not to. Remember Teddy told Lamar last season that he and Rayna would decide when to tell Maddie , if ever. He's always known he wasn't her biological father, and so has Rayna. But, having not told Deacon when she found out 13 years ago (I assume his sobriety was too questionable at the time), there was never going to be a good time to tell him after that. She would have already been lying for x number of years and he would have still reacted that way, because he was furious at her for keeping it from him.

Given how he reacted, I tend to think she made the right decision Yes, it sucks for him, but I think of it like an adoption. Teddy wanted to be Maddie's dad and could take care of her, and Deacon couldn't even take care of himself and was a mean and nasty drunk. I'd have done the same thing.

I feel far worse for Maddie, who may be precocious but who is still only 13 and confused and upset and angsty. I don't think she's seen Deacon's drunk and nasty side so really can't understand why her mother would do such a thing, or why her father would let her. Poor kid

vCash
    I get she was protecting her family but she already knew that Maddie knew. and she and Deacon just got back together. I just want Rayna to admit some culpability in why Deacon felt so messed up and betrayed.
    Rayna found out that Maddie knew when Deacon told her. I get why Deacon felt betrayed, but I also get why Rayna didn't tell him. Maddie is young and she was trying to protect her. You could debate all the things that Rayna could have done, but none of them is clearly right, which is part of what makes the show interesting.

It will be interesting to see if Maddie wants to develop a relationship with Deacon and what will happen then. And Scarlett may want to get to know her cousin.

vCash

Loved Juliette and Avery. Wasn't a fan of him last year. But i like their friendship. I hope they don't hit the sack too soon.
    Maybe Juliette will let this one simmer for 15 minutes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Rayna found out that Maddie knew when Deacon told her. I get why Deacon felt betrayed, but I also get why Rayna didn't tell him. Maddie is young and she was trying to protect her. You could debate all the things that Rayna could have done, but none of them is clearly right, which is part of what makes the show interesting.

It will be interesting to see if Maddie wants to develop a relationship with Deacon and what will happen then. And Scarlett may want to get to know her cousin.
    I guess I remembered it incorrectly. I just remember a moment when they were discussing honesty and she didn't reveal it. I thought that she found out somehow else that Maddie knew. I think Rayna definitely made the best decision in the past. All I am saying is that she has to understand that Deacon would be angry and feel betrayed. I guess I didn't get any of that from this last episode. His reaction is all his fault but I would have liked her to say something like, I get this was a shock and maybe it was wrong of me to do what i did but that doesn't give him the right... I am sure that will come later though. I also like that it is murky. People are flawed and do the best at the time even if that choice may bite them in the ass later.

Also want to say that those Lennon girls are pretty good actresses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Maybe Juliette will let this one simmer for 15 minutes.
    Doubtful. But I do think she has more chemistry with him then Scarlett.

vCash
    Also want to say that I like the idea of Rayna, producing more and writing more. Just not a fan of her singing voice. But I absolutely love Connie as an actress.

vCash
    Good episode, if predictable. I wasn't sure whether Juliette was gonna make out with the British guy or the married couple was going to invite her for a threesome. Whatever. I did think Avery was whiny as hell. He needs to get over himself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Good episode, if predictable. I wasn't sure whether Juliette was gonna make out with the British guy or the married couple was going to invite her for a threesome. Whatever. I did think Avery was whiny as hell. He needs to get over himself.
    ITA regarding Juliette. Until he and Juliette talked, I couldn't figure out why Avery was all

vCash
    In the first season, they only did one or two songs whose lyrics or situation connected to the storyline. And I really liked the duets. I know lots of people like country music, but I am not one of them. Every show is turning into a concert or a showcase for 3-4 songs. How many minutes of actual storyline are we getting every week?

vCash
    Well, I like country music, and I think most of the storylines have gotten silly, so I'd be happy if it were just a concert.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast