Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

vCash
    I do agree that the season is better than last season (although I preferred the music last year). A lot (I mean, A LOT) more interaction amongst the cast. At the same time, it may also be due to expectations. I think last year, I was expecting a lot more from the show that I actually received (although I experienced the biggest surprise at just how wonderful Hayden Panettiere continues to be). This season, my expectations were greatly tempered and I can enjoy the show as is.

If there is a big hole in the show, it's Rayna. Her character is so passive (I mean, Rayna signs Juliette Barnes because Juliette sought *her* out).

Luke is slimy because the actor sucks. I will always hate him because of Smash.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I do agree that the season is better than last season (although I preferred the music last year). A lot (I mean, A LOT) more interaction amongst the cast. At the same time, it may also be due to expectations. I think last year, I was expecting a lot more from the show that I actually received (although I experienced the biggest surprise at just how wonderful Hayden Panettiere continues to be). This season, my expectations were greatly tempered and I can enjoy the show as is.

If there is a big hole in the show, it's Rayna. Her character is so passive (I mean, Rayna signs Juliette Barnes because Juliette sought *her* out).

Luke is slimy because the actor sucks. I will always hate him because of Smash.
    The music we have heard has been really great this year but few and far between. I agree Rayna has become a bit passive. But then everyone else had been handling everything for her. Being the boss is new. And I personally didn't get the impression she signed Juliette just because she sought her out. Rayna needs a big name for her new label. It's a win win (or lose lose depending on how it goes) for both of them. They both need each other.

As for the Luke thing. He was a tool in Smash. But I am not going to hold that against him. But have to admit there are shades of that character here and I think it's deliberate. So he is really doing a good job and actually doesn't suck. His character does, not the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    (I mean, Rayna signs Juliette Barnes because Juliette sought *her* out).
    It pretty much had to go the way it did. Juliette has been such a witch to Rayna all this time, and would have laughed at Rayna had she initiated the deal. Both women had to be at turning points to come to an agreement, such as it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    I don't pay much attention to Luke. What's slimy about him?
    His first comment to Rayna about his perception of Juliette's lack of talent bugged me.

The big thing to me was when Gunnar wrote Ball and Chain. Luke made the comment that he was taking a writer's credit on it. He backtracked when Rayna side eyed him. I know it's common in the industry - the singer changes one word in a song and they get $. But, that puts him at odds with someone like Rayna, who wouldn't do it.

This might just bad writing: When Rayna told Luke at the music festival that she was going to buy out her contract, he walked off after saying 'see you when I see you'. BUT, an episode later, they were all happy again.

Last week, Luke knew that the check to the studio bounced. Later in the episode, Rayna lost a band she was trying to sign because they'd heard about the check bouncing.

Off Luke, and on to the other annoying "L" character - Layla. Since she's the reason Juliette's tour fell apart, I don't have much sympathy for her having to go tour tiny places. And it's really a view of reality singing competition - what's hot this season is ignored next season when the newest star is coming out. Someone like Miranda Lambert is an anomaly - she finished 4th on Nashville Star and took her time getting her first CD out there. The 'winner' and the 2 other people in front of her on that show - disappeared without a trace. The subsequent winners, gone too. With so many reality shows out there, it's tough for even the 'winners' to stay in the public eye. They're disposable commodities to the labels. Carrie Underwood is a TOTAL exception to this rule, of course.

And now, on to Juliette. Heckles, I don't think Juliette has been a witch to Rayna this season at all. I think it all changed for Rayna when they 'cowrote Wrong Song and went on tour. Juliette wants to be Rayna. Maybe Juliette initially hated Rayna because Jolene was such a Rayna fan? What I love about the writing of these two is that Juliette went from sniping at Rayna being on 'her plane', to offering her plane to Rayna when Lamar had his heart attack. They went to each other's parents funerals. They're no longer rivals, but working from a place of mutual respect.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Speaking of plot twists - Really Will? You had the chance to dump Layla and instead you proposed?
    He's desperate. Desperate to have success. Desperate to not have his sexuality revealed. Desperate for a career that will make him feel like he means something. Desperate to have his ever-returning ex just exit the picture like he keeps saying he will. Desperate about men from his past stepping forward. This guy is in SUCH a bad place...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I started this show, then stopped watching, then caught a recent episode and was involved again. But I do tend to fast forward to the Juliette parts. Save Juliette, save the World!
    I also dropped out and re-joined to ogle Will Lexington's Levi's. Now I don't fast-forward at all.
    Last edited by PeterG; 03-16-2014 at 08:03 PM.

vCash

And now, on to Juliette. Heckles, I don't think Juliette has been a witch to Rayna this season at all. I think it all changed for Rayna when they 'cowrote Wrong Song and went on tour.
    I recall some cattiness post-Wrong Song, but I agree that Juliette mellowed toward Rayna. Juliette could have spilled the story about Maddie's paternity, but showed some unusual restraint there. She did, however, recently advise Maddie to continue to aggressively pursue her singing career even though she knew that Rayna and Teddy were trying to temper it, so that seemed underhanded.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    This might just bad writing: When Rayna told Luke at the music festival that she was going to buy out her contract, he walked off after saying 'see you when I see you'. BUT, an episode later, they were all happy again.
    Agree. I haven't looked it up to verify, but it's almost like different writers for different episodes aren't communicating with each other, and/or someone's not keeping an eye on the overall storylines and character development.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    He's desperate. Desperate to have success. Desperate to not have his sexuality revealed. Desperate for a career that will make him feel like he means something. Desperate to have his ever-returning ex just exit the picture like he keeps saying he will. Desperate about men from his past stepping forward. This guy is in SUCH a bad place...
    At the core of it, I don't think he's accepted his own sexuality, and that's why it makes sense that he asked Layla to marry him.

I really like that they've made this story about far more than simply a gay guy trying to hide his sexuality for career reasons, and I think Chris Carmack is doing a great job in delivering the complexity of the character, and bringing us into his story.

I recall some cattiness post-Wrong Song, but I agree that Juliette mellowed toward Rayna. Juliette could have spilled the story about Maddie's paternity, but showed some unusual restraint there. She did, however, recently advise Maddie to continue to aggressively pursue her singing career even though she knew that Rayna and Teddy were trying to temper it, so that seemed underhanded.
    I don't think it was unusual restraint. From the beginning she recognized that she was in a position to positively influence Maddie - something Juliette was sorely lacking as a youngster until perhaps her manager came along. She has always been sweet to the girls, even when she and Rayna weren't in the best place, and she's been responsible about it - the first thing she did after ensuring Maddie's safety when she ran off was call Rayna. I don't think encouraging her music was underhanded at all - it's not like she'd telling her to let her schoolwork slide or not listen to her parents or anything like that - she's just encouraging her to keep writing, playing and performing, likely in part because Juliette knows that's what got her through a very difficult childhood and teen years, and in many ways continues to be so important to her - not just her success, but her overall wellbeing.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Loved last night! Lots of music and performance, and I can't recall when I've ever found a story about parenting to be that interesting

Worried about Deacon punching the wall though - isn't his hand barely healed from the accident? And just as his career is doing well?

Glad lawyer girl is out - didn't really dislike her (until she made the choice to a) screw around on a perfectly good man and b) do it with Teddy), but she added little to the plot other than holding back potential storylines for Deacon with other women.

vCash
    Wow. Scarlett's mother makes Juliette's mother look like Mary Poppins.

I guess they decided they had to come up with some reason for Scarlett being such a mess. Not a very original reason, though. Now all three of our heroines have mommy issues!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

From the Bloc
    vCash
    This show just keeps getting better IMO - I really hope there are more people watching than just Wyliefan and me! I did hear that there's going to be some sort of tv special featuring Hayden, and that the boys of Nashville are going to be touring playing some smaller clubs, so that's good news - I do think they need to keep promoting the music.

As for Scarlett's mother, I think it makes some sense. There was a clear implication that she had a very rough childhood, and by extension that could mean it was just as bad for Deacon (not always, but could be), and could be the root of his own demons. I thought I caught that they used to sing together when they were young and write songs, so an escape for them then and still for Deacon now. Scarlett's poems make sense, and Liam bringing that raw emotion out through Black Roses, which now has so much more meaning. Scarlett was outstanding in that performance.

The other scene that was great was Deacon and Rayna at the end in the cabin. Deacon totally slapped her down, but then she totally put him in his place - at the same time, they know each other so very well, and if this show lasts (pleasepleaseplease) I don't think it's the end of them.

I didn't even mind Teddy this week, and the chanced to hear the younger Stella sing on her own for a bit was worth the whole hour in itself.

vCash
    This was the first week that I actually liked Luke. That shocked me more than Gunnar being supportive or Teddy continuing to be clueless and evil.

So, Scarlett's mother beat her, belittled her, and locked her in a stick cell? I guess Deacon was off touring with Rayna while Scarlett was growing up abused. We've seen Scarlett have a feisty side, too bad she can only stand up to mom by singing at her. It explained a lot about the character and it's the first time I've liked Clare's acting in a long time. It seems odd that Avery didn't know about the history with her mom.

Juliette - why did you let Charlie Wentworth kiss you in public? I have to wonder if that's coming back to bite her. You have to know there's press lurking. Yoda (Avery) continues to be the voice of sanity and wisdom this year.

Deacon. Great acting by Charles Esten in his scenes. He really cares about Maddie. That was so sweet to see. Not a fan though of the downward spiral of Teddy. He's always been a great dad, and he's off the rails lately. He can take lawyer lady and leave my screen.

to a 3 week break. IF the show comes back, they really need to follow the 'bunch of episodes/mini break/bunch of episodes' model. Yanking it off the air for a few weeks and then bringing it back could hurt the show.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    So, Scarlett's mother beat her, belittled her, and locked her in a stick cell? I guess Deacon was off touring with Rayna while Scarlett was growing up abused. We've seen Scarlett have a feisty side, too bad she can only stand up to mom by singing at her. It explained a lot about the character and it's the first time I've liked Clare's acting in a long time. It seems odd that Avery didn't know about the history with her mom.
    I think Avery did to a point, and realized it was a thing when she showed up. However I also think he thought she had found a way to deal with it - he referred to how she always spoke to her mother on the phone, and she replied "yes but we didn't really talk about anything" ie unresolved issues - issues that maybe she's really only facing now after Liam brought out her deeper emotions. The other thing is that Avery thinks he knows Scarlett from their time together, but they were younger and both have evolved a lot, so he doesn't know her as well as he thinks he does. Remember when Juliette thought she was on something and Avery brushed it off? Old Scarlett wouldn't have been on anything, but that was then, and this is now.

As for Deacon, he surely knows what kind of childhood his sister had, but might have no idea how she treated Scarlett. People can be very good at hiding these things. Plus Deacon has been on his own path - it's possible he thought his sister had somehow escaped the demons because she wasn't an alcoholic, but didn't realize that her demons manifested in a different way.

Juliette - why did you let Charlie Wentworth kiss you in public? I have to wonder if that's coming back to bite her. You have to know there's press lurking.
    Exactly - the middle of a crowded bar, two famous faces for all to see? I'm wondering if that was just bad writing.

to a 3 week break. IF the show comes back, they really need to follow the 'bunch of episodes/mini break/bunch of episodes' model. Yanking it off the air for a few weeks and then bringing it back could hurt the show.
    ITA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I guess they decided they had to come up with some reason for Scarlett being such a mess. Not a very original reason, though. Now all three of our heroines have mommy issues!
    I was glad we got that backstory, because to date I thought she was just flaky. I wish there had been hints of this before now.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I was glad we got that backstory, because to date I thought she was just flaky. I wish there had been hints of this before now.
    I'm not even sure they had this in mind. I only recall the mother being mentioned once - can't recall why, but Deacon said something like "your mother will kill me if I don't look out for you" in a fun way. And then there was the time some old bandmates came on too strong to Scarlett, and while she didn't like it, I don't recall her having the reaction of someone who has been physically abused in the past, but that might not mean anything. Deacon was protective of her at that moment, but he's the kind of guy that would likely react that way for any woman.

In all the dialogue with Avery, then Gunner - especially when he was having a hard time with his brother, then Zoey, then Liam, I don't remember anything about how she grew up or her parents.

vCash
    When she was recording that "Under Your Spell" song with Liam, she specifically mentioned the song was about her mom.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Ah, OK - but that was recent so perhaps they were only just then starting to lay the groundwork. And certainly Black Roses was a good song when she recorded it with Liam, but when she played it for her mother it became another thing entirely, and perhaps that was planned several eps in advance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    This show just keeps getting better IMO - I really hope there are more people watching than just Wyliefan and me! I did hear that there's going to be some sort of tv special featuring Hayden, and that the boys of Nashville are going to be touring playing some smaller clubs, so that's good news - I do think they need to keep promoting the music.

As for Scarlett's mother, I think it makes some sense. There was a clear implication that she had a very rough childhood, and by extension that could mean it was just as bad for Deacon (not always, but could be), and could be the root of his own demons. I thought I caught that they used to sing together when they were young and write songs, so an escape for them then and still for Deacon now. Scarlett's poems make sense, and Liam bringing that raw emotion out through Black Roses, which now has so much more meaning. Scarlett was outstanding in that performance.

The other scene that was great was Deacon and Rayna at the end in the cabin. Deacon totally slapped her down, but then she totally put him in his place - at the same time, they know each other so very well, and if this show lasts (pleasepleaseplease) I don't think it's the end of them.

I didn't even mind Teddy this week, and the chanced to hear the younger Stella sing on her own for a bit was worth the whole hour in itself.
    I agree with this whole post. Although I don't remember it ever indicated that Scarlett had a sketchy/difficult past. But I defer to you. The Mom/ Scarlett stuff went a little over the top for me last episode. But I think that was mostly the directing which I thought was over the top and heavy handed especially when Scarlett had a melt down. Sometimes the soapy stuff gets Days of our Lives bad soapy and this felt like one of those times. But Scarlett's songs have saved her for me these last two weeks.

That Deacon/ Rayna scene was so brilliant. Because they were both right. They both ****ed up. And made some bad choices. But I do think they were dong the best they could with their circumstances.

I have never hated Teddy. He also made some selfish poor choices, but he was always second fiddle to Rayna and worse Deacon. That can't be good. Especially when you are madly in love with someone who is madly in love with someone else. And his life is spiraling down a shit hole.(yes partly due to his own fault) It makes sense he would grasp onto the only thing he has left which is his daughter.

vCash
    The one thing I'll say for this show is that it keeps the female characters front and center. The constantly changing relationships are very soapy, but the career stuff is also important, albeit in a fantasy glamour business.

Just me
    vCash
    "Reasons to be optimistic for a third Nashville season"

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...nashville.html
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    "Reasons to be optimistic for a third Nashville season"

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...nashville.html
    Thanks for sharing The other thing is that while it's ratings challenged against some heavy hitters in its timeslot, its numbers go up dramatically every week in replays (ie many are pvring it). That's bad news for advertisers, but if they can continue to find other revenue streams (DVDs, CDs, now this special and tour - and that's just for starters) then it still might be worth it. I could also see a scenario where it gets moved to a cable station or even pay per view, such as House of Cards.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast