Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Of course, next season Gunnar's brother's girlfriend will suddenly appear and she will know that those lyrics were her "man's" so will use that against Gunnar. And then they will make out.
    I think you've nailed it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Bumping to praise last night's show. Kudos to the writers. They turned Matt the random upstairs neighbor into a real person with just a few minutes of dialogue.

And Hayden really deserves an award for her work here. She can go from bratty to heartbreaking in seconds. No more pink macaroni for Juliette.

Why was Jolene living alone? And roaming around with cash? And if she can get to Dante by just calling his disposable cell phone, then why didn't the crack security team think of it? But that scene where Dante got shot - hated it. It was over in seconds and felt like a high school play.

So, Rayna and Teddy kept a secret about Maddie for 12+ years and then leave their paternity test in an UNLOCKED box in the closet? Next week's scenes after that implodes look pretty awesome. And thank you writers for having Rayna tell Teddy off about that 'emotional affair crap and that Daphne was a product of love. He's been bitching at her all season about never being in the marriage.

Welcome back Lamar. He seemed to only come back to life once Rayna finally asked him for a favor.

I see Avery/Juliette/Scarlett as a triangle next season. And happy that Gunner got dumped on his faux outlaw ass.

vCash
    An UNLOCKED box in the closet that Maddie seems to know all about to boot. Seriously? I'm sorry but this show has gone seriously downhill from the first 3 episodes. The writing was better then, the music was better then, and so on.

I do agree that the scene with upstairs neighbor deserves praise though; that was the best part of the whole episode.

vCash
    Love the upstairs neighbour. Still hate Lamar. And how does Maddie even understand how to read a paternity test? I remember looking at one for some estate file I had, and it was all blah blah blah to me.

vCash
    Maybe it's more that the very fact that one exists means there was some question about her paternity. She doesn't need to know the answer -- just that there was a question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Maybe it's more that the very fact that one exists means there was some question about her paternity. She doesn't need to know the answer -- just that there was a question.
    Good point. I remember every time my parents were out I was looking through my mom's stuff for proof I was adopted. I just knew I was...despite the fact I look like both of my parents and sound like them both too. I took everything I found as a clue, including a card that translated said, "Congratulations on your new arrival." That wasn't a typical saying where I grew up so I thought it meant I had arrived by plane or something.

I suppose the excuse for the show could be that Rayna typically does have that locked up. However, she pulled it out in case she needed the information in court and had not had time to lock it back up yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Yeah, in the preview she was telling someone that she didn't think her dad was really her father. It said "negative" right where we could read it, so that's kind of self-explanatory. Why she was even looking through Rayna's papers which should have been locked up and put away somewhere in the first place was not explained though.

Loved it all anyway!!!!!!!!!! Although I still don't like Avery.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Agree that the lock box was weird. My immediate thought was why would the mother of two girls keep something so important on a low shelf in a closet full of glittery outfits? Kids snoop, and kids also love to try on mom's clothes, especially when they are glittery - it was a recipe for disaster. If it indeed was a temporary place for it - and it didn't look like it - then the writers should have made that clear. The other element I didn't like is Rayna telling Maddie that there was grown up stuff that she'd tell her about when she was old enough - I guess it's realistic, but if I was Maddie that would not have made me feel any better.

But, wow those girls can sing - too bad their scene with Deacon wasn't longer!

Also agree that the cowboy is now a real character, the whole trying to make people think you're something you're not/inner conflict theme worked really well with Gunner's demise. I was glad that some guys called Gunner out in the bar though, to show him that his inauthenticity is so clear.

Speaking of, I didn't like Scarlett's Opry debut. It was milky - good singing, decent song, but no different than 1000 other girls doing the same thing, and a far cry from what she did with Gunner. Their raw appeal was in how honest and innocent the songs were, and it just didn't translate to the produced, full band version of her on stage. It was closer to her Ring of Fire performance, and I didn't think that was particularly interesting either.

I feared that Deacon would be off the wagon in the season finale, and here we go. It will be an interesting turn of events though, because early in the season one had the impression that Rayna might have abandoned Deacon in his hour of need, then later we found that she had stuck with him through too many benders and several rehab stints, so she came out looking like the hero who had been wronged by Deacon. But now he finds out that she has kept one of the biggest possible secrets in the world from him, and the tables turn pretty fast.

As for Juliette, I totally agree that she is the break out star here. She can do more with a facial expression than others can do with pages of script. Jolene's attempt to help her daughter was so misguided too, poor thing - she made this big move to help her, but in the end she's done the worst thing for her - left her all alone.

And goodness they are really working to turn Avery around, no? I do think they had wanted him to have his own fanbase as one of the main cast and realized early/mid season that they weren't quite getting the "appealing bad boy" character right, and are now redeeming him in prep for whatever they plan for him next season. Plus, it's interesting that among our three men, the writers keep shifting who's the good guy and who's the trainwreck each ep.

Love Tandy and Lamar, but Teddy can go any time. When he said "because I'm the Mayor" I really wanted her to say "but I'm Rayna James" - BAM. Juliette would have

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Agree that the lock box was weird. My immediate thought was why would the mother of two girls keep something so important on a low shelf in a closet full of glittery outfits?
    pretty much the exact thing happened in my family. but instead of a box that may or may not usually be locked in a closet, the papers were in the cedar that was used as a coffee table in the living room. it didnt even have a lock. but we are a shady bunch.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    It will be an interesting turn of events though, because early in the season one had the impression that Rayna might have abandoned Deacon in his hour of need, then later we found that she had stuck with him through too many benders and several rehab stints, so she came out looking like the hero who had been wronged by Deacon. But now he finds out that she has kept one of the biggest possible secrets in the world from him, and the tables turn pretty fast.
    Eh, not really a fan of how this is looking like Deacon had no idea that the kid was his. Did all that Jack Daniels render him unable to do some simple arithmetic?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Eh, not really a fan of how this is looking like Deacon had no idea that the kid was his. Did all that Jack Daniels render him unable to do some simple arithmetic?
    Not exactly sure but I think he went to rehab and then Rayna married Teddy very soon after. I believe they were always off and on but I think Teddy and Rayna were dating because Deacon was back o the booze again. I can't remember but I think Teddy was pining for Rayna for a while and she couldn't choose between them until Deacon made her choose Teddy. In other words, Rayna was with both men at the same time. And depending what happened after rehab with Deacon, he might have disappeared for a while. Especially after finding out Rayna married Teddy while he was in rehab.

I know Teddy is not popular here and he was a jerk the last episode but I actually do think Rayna was having an on and off again emotional affair with Deacon while she was married to Teddy. And he rightly felt threatened and scared. Which was why I loved the scene between them at his office. Yes she loved Teddy as well but more because of what he represented which was someone safe and conservative and calm. I think she kind of used him a bit. I do like Rayna but I don't think she is blameless in the failure of her marriage. I also think the writers did somewhat of a 180 with Teddy to make him more of a villain then he was written in the first half of the season. Despite the embezzlement. But this plot is a bit of a mess with him, Lamar, Peggy and his now former right hand man/on and off again rival. I think this story is very Dallas like in its soapy elements and it could work but they need to be less scattered about it.

I like Tandy and think she could be given more to do. It would make more sense if Tandy and Teddy banded together because it would cause a whole, host of drama and complications for the family. And would be plausible in terms of soapy story telling because Lamar has seemed to abandon Tandy in favor of Rayna. I would prefer if they didn't go the Tandy sleeping with Deacon or Teddy route but I am almost certain they will nest season.

Juliette is great although I hated the last storyline although the pay-off with the death of her Mom almost made it worth it. And it shocked and surprised me.

Like the gay singing cowboy and hope to see more of that. He and Gunnar need to form a band and have the press find out about him being gay and then it being a whole dilemma for Gunnar.

I would absolutely loathe it if Avery and Scarlett got back together. I would prefer him with Juliette. And Scarlett alone for a while

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    It may have rendered him incapable of remembering the night of conception.

I kind of wish they had let Rayna and Deacon be together for a little longer before he found out.

Now, the next question is how the public will find out and the politics of it all. They never showed Teddy telling Peggy right? So she can't go to the tabloids. It probably will be a political opponent of Teddy's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    Not exactly sure but I think he went to rehab and then Rayna married Teddy very soon after. I believe they were always off and on but I think Teddy and Rayna were dating because Deacon was back o the booze again.
    Eh, drastically blurring dates is the M.O. of a deadbeat dad. "Well, I thought we broke up in 2003, not 2010." There's been some vagueness as to when Deacon and Rayna were together, but are these people having so much sex that Deacon didn't pause when he remembered that, say, he was with Rayna a couple of years ago, and noticed Rayna's kid was a bit over a year old?

From the Bloc
    vCash

vCash
    Am I supposed to believe that Rayna and/or Deacon will die? Okay.

Oh, how I love Peggy. And go Tandy! Get your daddy played by a bad actor!

Is the actress who plays Juliette's assistant pregnant? Anyways, love that character. And I'm glad the manager is back.

I am confused about this "smoking gun" stuff. Am I supposed to know what/whom this is referring to? Also, I didn't realize Juliette didn't know that her mom was protecting her until she had to be told step by step in the letter.

vCash
    I liked the quiet small scene with Rayna and Juliette bonding at mama's graveside. Hayden continued to kill in her scenes last night. So, Jolene wanted her to play the Bluebird? Or is that just Juliette rewriting history? Welcome back Bucky - hopefully he'll let Juliette grow and she'll stop snarking at him (nope, won't happen).

Maddie is moving in with Teddy? Well, considering Rayna's behavior last night, he's the better parent. Hope the other one went with them - have the feeling Rayna's gonna be at the ER for a while. Deacon sure can go on a bender.

Loved Tandy last night. But, she did try to kick Lamar out of his business, did she really think he was going to sit down and go 'sure, honey, do what you want'?

Scarlett honey - don't say 'yes' to Gunnar. You might sound better with him than you do with Avery (that duet was horrid), but he's not the right guy for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Am I supposed to believe that Rayna and/or Deacon will die? Okay.
    There's no way anyone is going to believe that either one of them will die. They are key characters and there's so much more to be done with them. Maybe Deacon will have a bad arm injury that makes it impossible for him to play guitar, or something like that.

There's also no way that I believe that Scarlett will say yes to Gunnar. She was never that into him, so it would be idiotic for them to have her say yes. I think there's going to be an Avery/Scarlett/Juliet love triangle. They might come up with other awkward position to place Scartlett in -- like being signed to Rayna's label, but being Deacon's niece and Maddie's cousin with all of them mad at each other.

I didn't get why Maddie wanted to move in with Teddy just because Rayna lied to her. Teddy lied, too.

Teddy and Peggy can both go to jail and Rayna can raise the baby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I didn't get why Maddie wanted to move in with Teddy just because Rayna lied to her. Teddy lied, too.
    Maddie is probably feeling that her relationship with Teddy has just been weakened, so she wants to strengthen that tie.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I am sad there isn't more discussion - I love this show, and thought the finale was excellent on so many fronts!

Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I liked the quiet small scene with Rayna and Juliette bonding at mama's graveside. Hayden continued to kill in her scenes last night. So, Jolene wanted her to play the Bluebird? Or is that just Juliette rewriting history?
    I don't think so. She said in the very first episode that her mama was a country fan (remember Juliette snarking at Rayna when they met for the first time), and from near the beginning she had been sneaking into the Bluebird, and there was the ep where she was hoping that Deacon was going to call her up when he was really introducing Rayna. She's wanted to be taken seriously as a legitimate country singer all along, and while Dante might have been the final straw, she was struggling with her manager on this point for some time.

Loved Tandy last night. But, she did try to kick Lamar out of his business, did she really think he was going to sit down and go 'sure, honey, do what you want'?
    I love Tandy too and hope they develop her character further next season. The business/politics stuff needs her to stay interesting, and I really want to see more of her relationship with Rayna.

Scarlett honey - don't say 'yes' to Gunnar. You might sound better with him than you do with Avery (that duet was horrid), but he's not the right guy for you.
    Disagree - I thought the duet was lovely! And much as there's a lot about her character that's just too cliche for me, I thought her performance at Deacon's was spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I think there's going to be an Avery/Scarlett/Juliet love triangle.
    I'm not so sure - I had the idea that they set the Avery/Juliette relationship on a very clear course when he turned down her advances when she was drunk. Juliette thinks she has no one, in part because she protects herself by driving people away, but at the funeral we saw the small and loyal group who actually does care for her, and I think she saw that too - in Rayna's words, in Bucky being there when it counted, in Avery being there for her. I'm hoping it's not leading to another failed relationship, but to one that is more than that. I'm hoping he rises as her eventual band leader and cowriter. If anything, I see him more with Emily.

I think it's natural for a 13 year old girl to blame her mother. Often girls at that age have a struggling relationship with their mothers - they were their bestie growing up, but as they start to mature they look at their mothers differently and wonder if that's what they will become. Conversely, with their dads, girls that age get to stay young - daddy's little girl - a state they may stay in forever. I think wanting to live with Teddy was about her wanting to go back to a time when things were less challenging - when she was younger. She might consider Teddy the victim too.

On other points, I thought that Charles Estan was fantastic last night. The scene where he took the drink was powerful both for acting and filming/editing, and his breakdown felt so real - right to the arguing in the car with Juliette's music over it.

And Hayden, there are no words - just brilliant. Shows like this don't usually get Emmys, do they? But hopefully she at least gets nominated - they should submit this episode for consideration.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    She might consider Teddy the victim too.
    yes, rayna put teddy in that position. he chose to accept what's her name as his kid and lied to protect her not to cover up her mess like rayna . i wouldnt feel the same way about them if i were her.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast