Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    I hope it wasn't that super-expensive guitar that Juliette gave him.

Didn't Deacon drink last week, though? I kind of thought he did, but I'm not sure . . .
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Is it weird that I'm starting to like Juliette better than Rayna?

vCash
    I am too. Hayden is doing incredible things with that role. Despite all Juliette's brattiness, you can't help but feel for her!

Plus there was the matter of everyone on the tour more or less ganging up on her. I know, she brought most of it on herself, but she's way younger than most of them. You'd think at least a few of them could show a little maturity and take the high road.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Wyliefan - I thought that too about no 'high road'. The giggling with Rayna and Liam on Juliette's plane about the mother's court date was pretty noxious. We saw Rayna tell her manager 'she's good' regarding Juliette, but I guess after Juliette's inital crap when they met and then the comments/actions since, that Rayna's not going to be nice.

My favorite scene was Juliette ignoring Avery's trying to hit on her and walking away. Guess he thought their inital meeting meant something, but Juliette was just in 'flirt mode' that night.

Or it might have been Juliette and her mom at the end. That was amazing.

I'm just wondering who's now playing guitar for Rayna - obviously Liam's gone the way of the other fired guys (shame, I was starting to like him). Did Juliette dump her lead guitarist for Deacon? And Rayna's out there with another open spot! And Deacon and his sunglasses getting onto the plane and dissing Teddy on the way past? LOVED! I've been waiting for him to not be a lap dog.

Teddy bugs me. He's still keeping the other woman hanging (last week's hotel scene), but doing the "I'm a great guy that you're ignoring" with Rayna, who had his scandals tossed in her lap. Does he think she hooks up with every guy? Protest a bit too much?

So, Avery's got a hit and no one to share it with? Hope that car keeps him warm at night. What's the ex-band's name now? Avery's Rejects?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I'm just wondering who's now playing guitar for Rayna - obviously Liam's gone the way of the other fired guys (shame, I was starting to like him). Did Juliette dump her lead guitarist for Deacon? And Rayna's out there with another open spot!
    The plot holes are starting to bug.

This week we open with Rayna and Juliette singing at a concert, somewhere. Tokyo? Cleveland? A week ago they suddenly decided to go on a four-month tour. They booked the arenas, paid for ads, booked the plane and sold tickets that quickly?

Creative license and all that, but they could fill in these holes and still keep the story moving at a decent clip.
    Last edited by heckles; 01-25-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    The plot holes are starting to bug.

Where are they touring? This week we open with the women singing at a concert, somewhere. Tokyo? Last week they suddenly decided to go on a four-month tour. That doesn't happen.

Creative license and all that, but sheesh.
    They were in Dallas. Rayna said, "Thank you Dallas" after the song ended when she and Juliette were on stage.

More time is passing that just what we're seeing on the screen (ex. Deacon had been touring with the Rebel Kings for a while when he left them last week) so you should probably just suspend any disbelief and go with the flow. Rarely does a show pull the whole "24" thing where time frames match up exactly anymore.

Hehe, forgot how much I loved the scene where Avery saw his ex-girlfriend and Gunner rocking out with his old band!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    They were in Dallas. Rayna said, "Thank you Dallas" after the song ended when she and Juliette were on stage.

More time is passing that just what we're seeing on the screen (ex. Deacon had been touring with the Rebel Kings for a while when he left them last week) so you should probably just suspend any disbelief and go with the flow. Rarely does a show pull the whole "24" thing where time frames match up exactly anymore.
    Rayna shouted, "Thank you (garbled)" and it was hard to tell. You're right, I just replayed it and it does sound like Dallas. An episode or two ago, both Rayna and Juliette were still debating whether to go on a four-month tour "this Sunday", which implied less than a week's planning. It seemed that the idea for the tour wasn't even conceptualized until after their Opry performance together. I think the storyline would have been more plausible if the women were booked at the last minute as the opening act for another band whose opening act fell through; that way there would still be the performance scenes and backstage drama, both of which are done really well.

vCash
    Wyliefan - I thought that too about no 'high road'. The giggling with Rayna and Liam on Juliette's plane about the mother's court date was pretty noxious. We saw Rayna tell her manager 'she's good' regarding Juliette, but I guess after Juliette's inital crap when they met and then the comments/actions since, that Rayna's not going to be nice.
    Yes but Juliette is quite a lot younger than Rayna, and Rayna may have a rotten father but something tells me Juliette got dealt a far worse hand.

I must say I thought better of Rayna and Teddy when I learned Teddy knew all along that Maddy wasn't his daughter.
    Last edited by bek; 01-25-2013 at 03:51 AM.

vCash
    . Please delete

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Yes but Juliette is quite a lot younger than Rayna, and Rayna may have a rotten father but something tells me Juliette got dealt a far worse hand.

I must say I thought better of Rayna and Teddy when I learned Teddy knew all along that Maddy wasn't his daughter.
    Yeah, Teddy has been an awesome father to both girls, and never once showed a preference. So he's got that going for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Has the bio-father's identity been mentioned by any of the characters? I assume it's Deacon.

This show is an hour-long country song, ain't it?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Rayna shouted, "Thank you (garbled)" and it was hard to tell. You're right, I just replayed it and it does sound like Dallas. An episode or two ago, both Rayna and Juliette were still debating whether to go on a four-month tour "this Sunday", which implied less than a week's planning. It seemed that the idea for the tour wasn't even conceptualized until after their Opry performance together. I think the storyline would have been more plausible if the women were booked at the last minute as the opening act for another band whose opening act fell through; that way there would still be the performance scenes and backstage drama, both of which are done really well.
    Wouldn't have been realistic for them to open for anyone - they are both superstars. As for starting "on Sunday" they mentioned last week that they had played a series of smaller venues to warm up, during which time the larger venues could have been arranged. Remember also that both Rayna and Juliette had tours planned that got cancelled (Rayna's failing record and Juliette's shoplifting), so they might have been able to get some of those dates back. And no trouble booking the plane - it's Juliette's.

Other thoughts: Rayna went up big time in my books when we found out that she had put Deacon in rehab 5 times. Before that, I had the impression that he only went once, and she abandoned him then. Also interesting that we once again saw Rayna quit/run at the first sign of trouble, but at the same time seems to have decided (for now) to stick with her marriage and her record label. The conversation with Calista at her house was interesting in that it was really two conversations. (side note - can you believe that Ming Na Wen is 50??)

SOOO disappointed that they took the jerk road with Liam! There was so much more opportunity with that character. Same as with KWP - turning a potentially awesomely interesting character into a one-dimensional nothing. Curses to short term contracts and story arcs!

I guess I'm the only fan rooting for Avery. I felt bad for him, finally getting somewhere after all his hard work and no one to share it with. Kinda like Juliette in a way, no?

Which brings me to Juliette - LOVE this character and all her flaws. The scenes with her mom were A+ - I almost shed a single tear! And big big props to Hayden Paniwhatever - she can do more with her facial expressions than most can do with their words and actions.

And I love love love that she and Deacon are teaming up - I love their friendship, and am really hoping we get to see Undermine performed on stage!

Sadly no scenes from next week for me - cable was gacking, even the western feed that I pvred overnight was a mess, so I ended up getting On Demand, sadly with no previews. If anyone cares to share, please do

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Wouldn't have been realistic for them to open for anyone - they are both superstars.
    That's another part I don't get. Some dialog implies that both women are A-list country stars. Other scenes imply that Rayna is a has-been, and Juliette is still up-and-coming. There are also references to Rayna being a country legend, but it appears that she's only in her early 40s. Reba McIntyre is a legend in her late 50s, but Faith Hill, in her mid-40s, isn't yet. Something that country has over other genres is that both the male and female stars are loved well into old age. People still love Loretta Lynn at what, 80?

Which brings me to Juliette - LOVE this character and all her flaws.
    What's so good about Juliette's character is that just when she starts appearing to be completely unlikable, something from her background shows why she's had to be so tough. Maybe some of her poor treatment of Rayna is misplaced anger about her mother?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Not that this necessarily matches the characters, but the actresses playing Rayna and Juliette were born in 1967 (so 46 this year) and 1989 (24). They do seem to be casting people at their own ages though, and the 22 year age difference makes sense to the story. Reba McEntire was born in 1955, and I'd say she was a legend by the late 80s - in her early 30s -when she was winning every award in sight and selling out concert tours year after year. OK maybe not legend, but definitely superstar Ditto Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood - not legends, but definitely superstars. I think Juliette is supposed to be on their level - no longer up and coming, definitely arrived. As you noted, in country once you've arrived you tend to stay.

As for Juliette and Rayna's relationship, I thought it was interesting that when speaking privately, her mother said that Juliette had admired Rayna since she was a little girl. I think Juliette's animosity toward Rayna is not so much the person but what she represents - Juliette has the money, fame and toys, but not the acceptance as a musician and songwriter and member of the community she craves. As her mother also pointed out, Rayna grew up privileged (and Wyatt has said he financed her early career), so it could be that once she entered the business, Juliette became more aware of that, and resentful or jealous, and annoyed that she's having to do it the hard way and not getting credit for it.

I think we are also seeing that while Juliette is a diva when it comes to her stardom, she's a total professional when it comes to her job - and this early experience on tour is suggesting that Rayna is also a diva on the job (ie hogging stage time in the duet, taking more credit for their song, letting people think it's all her). The fun thing about Rayna is that it doesn't seem to be an effort or conscious decision to be a diva, or come from a sense a privilege or greed - it's just something that's always been, and she inhabits it naturally.

vCash
    That's another part I don't get. Some dialog implies that both women are A-list country stars. Other scenes imply that Rayna is a has-been, and Juliette is still up-and-coming. There are also references to Rayna being a country legend, but it appears that she's only in her early 40s. Reba McIntyre is a legend in her late 50s, but Faith Hill, in her mid-40s, isn't yet. Something that country has over other genres is that both the male and female stars are loved well into old age. People still love Loretta Lynn at what, 80?
    Yeah, they're loved, but they find it increasingly difficult to get airplay. George Strait and Reba are both still adored, but radio is less and less inclined to play their songs; Reba's last two singles couldn't make it above #40. Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn are adored, but they couldn't get arrested at any given country station. It sucks, and I'm pretty sure it's not what the fans want, but I'm not so sure that radio cares what the fans want anymore.

And even Faith is really struggling to get airplay after several years off. (Not that I mind THAT. Not a big Faith fan here. )

I think the show's depiction -- that one can be the Queen of Country Music and have tons of fans and still be struggling -- is really pretty accurate.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Wyliefan, I think you've commented on this before so I'll ask - how important is radio play? I know it's more important for country than other genres, but how important? Country stars also churn out more albums than most other acts - often one per year - plus they do a ton of touring, more often than most. Albums and concerts bring in the money - is radio that important to support that effort?

They other thing about country stars is that they tend to show up at everything - lots of awards shows inc performances at those shows - which has to be significant in relation to radio, no? Personally I don't listen to much current radio, but I have bought CDs and even one DVD (Kenny Chesney in 3D ) thanks to getting to know the stars on awards shows.

As for the older stars, they tend to branch out at some point - Reba did a little movie acting years ago, but then went on to be a successful tv actress; some stars are now judging tv talent programming; and isn't Faith Hill schilling a cookbook? (OK that's likely not lucrative, and we don't know if it's just merchandising her brand of if it's something she loves and now has time to do.)

In recent years, I can think of two stars - mentioned by you above - who have also done interesting projects. Loretta Lynn did a CD with Jack White that is FANTASTIC, and Reba did a duets CD. She's done lots of duets in the past as does everyone else, but the best track on that CD is the one with Justin Timberlake, in which he kinda Jack Whites her - it's not so much a duet as Justin presenting Reba in a new way. Maybe not the best move financially, but artistically I hope it was something she wanted to do. Plus Reba is now busy with her protege/future stepdaughter in law

As you might guess, it's those two projects that had me excited about Liam and Rayna and where that could go - but sadly I guess his contract/story arc is over

vCash
    That's a really good question, Jenny, and I wish I were better equipped to answer it. There are people at the Pulse Country board who could answer it in exhaustive detail, but I'm not nearly as knowledgable as most of them. The impression I get, though, is that radio play really helps drive everything else -- tours, albums, awards, etc.

I know what you mean about the Jack/Loretta collaboration making the Rayna/Liam collaboration all the more interesting! It is kind of a shame that they went in that direction with it.

vCash
    Not that this necessarily matches the characters, but the actresses playing Rayna and Juliette were born in 1967 (so 46 this year) and 1989 (24). They do seem to be casting people at their own ages though, and the 22 year age difference makes sense to the story.
    It seems the character is a few years younger but I would still consider 46 is a little too young in country music for "legend" status. Martina McBride is 46 but still doesn't have that "legend" feel to me yet.

I think Juliette is supposed to be on their level - no longer up and coming, definitely arrived.
    I seem to recall in the first episode, Juliette's manager was walking her to Rayna's dressing room at the Opry and said something along the lines that because Juliette was still on her way up, she needed to meet those who had already arrived. Country stars gush about knowing they'd "arrived" when they played the Opry, but there are a lot of performers there who are still new. Juliette was intentionally catty when she first ignored Rayna for Deacon, and then told Rayna that her mother had listened to her music while pregnant with Juliette. I was hoping by now that the two would have made nice, especially after they wrote the song together, but I assume that's going to be delayed by this storyline about Juliette hiring Deacon. I'm guessing Juliette and Deacon will flaunt a romantic relationship just to tick off Rayna.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    what a great episode this week! the only part that was a bit heavy handed was when Liam was talking about Rayna sticking with something old and stale - and the camera pans to Teddy several times - OMG JUST LIKE HER MARRIAGE!! - and then Liam even says "just like your marriage", for anyone who couldn't figure it out! Overkill, and a dead giveaway that Rayna would not leave her marriage OR her label.

OTOH, the evolution of Juliette getting dumped on by just about everyone, and her relationship with her mom, to the final plane scene, were all handled beautifully. Loved how Juliette and Deacon were even sitting in the seats at the end where Rayna and Liam were in the opening. Well played!

Happy to see Deb/Jing-Mei from ER!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    what a great episode this week! the only part that was a bit heavy handed was when Liam was talking about Rayna sticking with something old and stale - and the camera pans to Teddy several times - OMG JUST LIKE HER MARRIAGE!! - and then Liam even says "just like your marriage", for anyone who couldn't figure it out! Overkill, and a dead giveaway that Rayna would not leave her marriage OR her label.
    Yeah that bugged me - there was no foreshadowing in previous episodes, Liam just suddenly became a jerk. At least with the Rebel Kings dude, there was something slimey about him from the get go, and there was an early scene with him around the pool with what apparently were transient girls on his arm (I only noticed because he came back to the group kinda suspiciously so I wondered if despite his claim of sobriety he was actually drinking or doing drugs).

I'm just wondering who's now playing guitar for Rayna - obviously Liam's gone the way of the other fired guys (shame, I was starting to like him). Did Juliette dump her lead guitarist for Deacon?
    Meant to address this before - in the first ep when Juliette first approached Deacon she said her guitar player's wife was about to have a baby and he wanted time off. One might assume he was waiting for her to find a replacement, or he had already left and she had a temporary guy.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast