Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Rayna's definitely a redhead
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Having been in a church choir half my life, I call shenanigans. They did NOT pull that together in the space of a morning. Nashville must truly be a magical town.

Peggy's such a wet mess. Bet you anything you like she offs herself before the end of the episode. (That's not a spoiler -- I have no idea what's going to happen to her. That's just me speculating.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Loved the episode (as always), but I guess there's no such thing as cliffhangers on TV anymore. All the questions raised by the last segment of the episode were answered in the teaser for the second half of the season. I won't spoil it for those who haven't watched/finished watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ross_hy View Post
    Loved the episode (as always), but I guess there's no such thing as cliffhangers on TV anymore. All the questions raised by the last segment of the episode were answered in the teaser for the second half of the season. I won't spoil it for those who haven't watched/finished watching.

Spoiler

It's funny, after all the really good public performances that Scarlett's given, that everyone's going ape over her drunk butchering of "Ring of Fire"! I loved the way she sang that song near the beginning tonight -- it wasn't the same later when Gunnar sang it without her. But though I love her voice, I am finally getting a little tired of her wide-eyed deer-in-the-headlights approach to life. Brilliant lyricist or not, I'm starting to think the girl doesn't have the brains God gave applesauce.

Oh, and the football player's mother was TOTALLY my dad's mother. In the flesh. I swear, my mom and I both said, "Mary!!!" at the same moment. That is exactly how she treated my mom.

Spoiler

Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Great episode tonight and YAY for a scene with Deacon and Rayna together! I swear I ship them so hard and it drives me crazy because I know nothing is going to happen right now or the show would probably be over, LOL
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Rayna's definitely a redhead
    Yup, agreed.

So co-touring is gonna happen after all, shocking.

Did not know the actor playing Gunnar is from the UK, I think? He's in the Samsung phone commercial that has been playing first during commercial breaks for those that record and skip them.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    But though I love her voice, I am finally getting a little tired of her wide-eyed deer-in-the-headlights approach to life. Brilliant lyricist or not, I'm starting to think the girl doesn't have the brains God gave applesauce.
    Yes, I had the same thought. I can only take so much innocence

Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    Did not know the actor playing Gunnar is from the UK, I think? He's in the Samsung phone commercial that has been playing first during commercial breaks for those that record and skip them.
    And the actress who plays Scarlett is Australian

Love the way they've created Rayna, and the way Connie Britton is playing her. So, so real. When Teddy was finally telling her the truth, I said to hubby that what's really going to get her now is that her father and sister knew about it the whole time - and sure enough, she storms into her sister's office in the next scene. I'm really hoping that later in the season or in future they have a really good story planned for Tandy.

This two year tour of Deacon's obviously can't happen - am I the only one that thought something was up at the end when the lead singer came back to his chair? Methinks he's maybe not perfectly sober.

And my goodness I'm loving Juliette! The painted her so bitchy in the first ep, and I felt so bad for her this whole ep - curses to the network for telegraphing exactly what was going to happen so I couldn't enjoy Juliette's happiness.

As for the proposal, totally wrong thing to do. Not for the rushing into marriage thing, but because of all men, this guy would have wanted to get down on one knee and do the traditional thing, with his parents virtually standing right behind him. This is going to throw him - he sticks to his values and beliefs, and he's not going to be swayed. Even if in a fit of love he takes her jet to Vegas and they get married, it won't last. And of course it can't because that wouldn't make good tv for us

Really like the friendship between Juliette and Deacon too. I guess they are positioning him as that great guy who is every girl's best friend, but every girl ends up with someone else and then comes running back to him when it goes wrong.

As for the co-tour, you can see the set up - Rayna needs to get away from Teddy and her family and get back to where she's most comfortable, not to mention finding her new voice with her new sound. Juliette's heart is about to break, and she'll go back out on tour with a vengeance. And I can't wait!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    Great episode tonight and YAY for a scene with Deacon and Rayna together! I swear I ship them so hard and it drives me crazy because I know nothing is going to happen right now or the show would probably be over, LOL
    Loved the episode too. However, this is the first time that I could not hear some of the dialogue over the background music. Not even in the bars or wherever, just the standard dramatic background theme. Anybody else?

vCash
    Soundtrack is out today. I'm torn over whether to get it, or just get the songs I want off iTunes. I did want it at first, but the song selection seems to have been done by a deaf monkey. No "Fade into You," and no "Already Gone," but instead we get those little girls singing "Telescope." Call me a prude, but I cannot get used to adorable little moppets singing about how you left your secrets in their bed. It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Interestingly, on the Target deluxe edition, they have that high-pitched version of "Ring of Fire" that Scarlett did, but they're calling it "Love's Ring of Fire." Wonder if the Johnny Cash estate revolted or something!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    It's showing as out of stock on amazon.ca - here's hoping my order got through!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    ...No "Fade into You," and no "Already Gone," but instead we get those little girls singing "Telescope."
    Inclusion of that song is one of the reasons I'm considering buying my first tv show soundtrack. Those girls' voices are fantastic!

Perhaps RoF's title is changed because they veered too far from the original melody. I didn't hate Scarlett's version as much as many on the internet seem to, but I also don't think it's super duper amazeballs. Nor did she sound drunk and liberated as the storyline made it out to be (overcoming her fears of singing onstage etc, blah blah). And I kinda wish they'd taken more time for Gunnar to realize what we all knew from day 1 - that he luuuuuurves Scarlett. I liked his record label babe
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Inclusion of that song is one of the reasons I'm considering buying my first tv show soundtrack. Those girls' voices are fantastic!
    They really are. I just wish they were singing something else.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    So I panicked that my order through amazon.ca might be delayed, and dispatched hubby to pick up a copy on his lunch hour. He scored - and says there are *four* bonus tracks! Can't wait!!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I gotta get the soundtrack this week but I may not be able to until Thursday night. Please let us know here how you liked it if any of you guys get to listen to it this week!!

BTW-I got a tweet from Chip (er, Charles ) Estin not too long ago when he was trying to figure out a name for his fans. He liked my suggestion, The Chippettes, and told me so in a tweet. He seems like a really nice and genuine guy. I was so tickled to hear from him although he also said he'd probably need something else for the guys! I think Chippers was one suggestion I saw but I can't remember which one he liked best. There were a lot flying around for a while, LOL
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Chipmunks, of course!

I did end up getting the CD when I was out tonight, and I like it a lot so far. Listened to about half the songs.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Loving the CD!! Favourites so far are Wrong Song, Juliette's version of Telescope, and Rayna and Deacon's No One Will Ever Love You. They've messed with the latter a bit - it's more produced than the raw version on the show - but I like it. Thought it would be Scarlett and Gunner's duets that would be my faves because they are so beautiful on the show, but with adding musicians and mixing I think they've lost some of their sweet appeal - but still love them! Surprised they open the CD with Rayna's Buried Under, probably her weakest performance IMO, while Changing Ground is a bonus track and should likely have been part of the main mix.

And here's a good sign: the CD is labeled Season 1, Volume 1, so maybe we can look forward to another CD at the end of this season

Yes yes I realize I could be downloading all this (although the price of the CD was probably less that the sum of all the songs), but I'm old school and still like to put on a CD. I'll choose my favourites to add to my iPod for mixes.

vCash
    Finally watched all the episodes that had been laying dormant in my PVR. Quick thoughts:

1. I didn't decipher one lyric from Rayna and Juliette's duet (the sound mixing was quite awful), but I loved seeing those two working together.

2. The shot of Juliette being mauled by the zoo animal *was* adorable. Tim Tebow (or whatever his actual name is) is also adorable but what in the world is with his tattoos? They are freakin' hoooge! I'm surprised an actor (an unestablished one at that) would put something so permanent on his body. Does he not want to do any period pieces that may involve his character rolling up his sleeves every once in a while?

I hope Tim Tebow doesn't lose his flower just before Juliette breaks his heart, but of course he will.

3. Rayna's father is still the worst actor in existence. Maybe history. Would those photos do any damages at all? As someone who likes celeb gossip, I would need something a lot more graphic. These were extremely tame. Nashville is a major city--would its residents really care about something like an affair? I love Kimberly Williams-Paisley. I hope she's still alive and we see her husband...played by David Conrad!!!

4. I still don't know why Juliette hates Rayna so. much. Rayna doesn't like Juliette either but it never seems all that personal.

5. If I were that manager/cougar, I would be all over Avery's bandmate instead. Avery is gross who needs to bathe.

Anyways, I'm back for the rest of the season at least. I like Rayna's new producer. I like the group of guys Deacon will be playing with. I like Tim Tebow's family. They're expanding the universe in a pleasing manner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post

4. I still don't know why Juliette hates Rayna so. much. Rayna doesn't like Juliette either but it never seems all that personal.
    A couple of reasons. Number one, remember she heard Rayna say she sang like a feral cat. Number two, Deacon chose Rayna over her to sing with him at the Blue Bird -- we saw how much that rankled. She was still sore over it a couple of episodes later, IIRC. And I think she knows Deacon still has a thing for Rayna, and that rankles a little too.

But I think it's mostly that Rayna gets the respect that Juliette wants. Today's country music scene is basically one long war over who's "authentic" and who's sold out. And often the line between the two is blurrier than anyone wants to admit. Juliette admires the classic country singers -- she was raised on Kitty Wells and Patsy Cline, she has Tammy Wynette's guitar, etc. -- and she does have talent, but so far she's mostly gone for a more modern sound, and that means the old-timers like Rayna have zero respect for her. And for someone like Juliette who does have roots in traditional country and really craves the respect of her peers, that hurts. (And it's also kind of hypocritical of Rayna, because as I recall someone pointing out to her at one point, Rayna too was once a newcomer with a new sound.)

Having been a country fan for a while, I'm finding the whole thing very realistic.

So anyway, I think Juliette started out just flaunting her youth and popularity around Rayna because that's what she does, but it turned into something much deeper.

vCash
    I guess my confusion lies in the fact that Juliette was so hostile to Rayna right from the start--before Rayna made those comments to the producer and before she saw the connection between Rayna and Deacon at the Blue Bird.

That first meeting between Juliette/Rayna was in contrast to how Juliette was in such awe when she first saw Deacon. And then we Juliette weeping when she first saw Deacon singing.

I thought there must be a personal backstory (i.e. Rayna screwed Juliette's mom behind her back to become this mega successful singer while Juliette's mom hits the bottle). I guess now it's just one of those things that can happen in pilots--heightening the emotions to a larger than necessary degree.
    Last edited by manhn; 12-31-2012 at 04:36 AM.

vCash
    Well, also, one has to take into account that Deacon is a man and Rayna is not. The way that Juliette does business, one always has to take those things into account with her. Rayna is competition, in more ways than one; Deacon is someone she can seduce and try to twist around her little finger.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast