Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    vCash
    10+ surgeries, 4th Olympics, 2 Gold & 2 Silver, helps Russia win 1st Team Event, and some people just want to bitch? Pardon my language, but GET THE HELL OUT!!!

This man has some 50-70 years or so to go and I'm sure would not like to spend them in a wheel chair!

Nice to see Michelle not going with this BS and empathizing with what he is going through.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabooke View Post
    10+ surgeries, 4th Olympics, 2 Gold & 2 Silver, helps Russia win 1st Team Event, and some people just want to bitch? Pardon my language, but GET THE HELL OUT!!!

This man has some 50-70 years or so and I'm sure would not like to spend them in a wheel chair!

Nice to see Michelle not going with this BS and empathizing with what he is going through.
    This deserves applause!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    This deserves applause!!!!!!
    It's just nonsense!

This man has given literally blood, sweat, and tears to be here! If at all possible he would have been out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Wow!
    I don't think this is good for Plushy in the western people eyes..
    Well NBC has shown Putin hugging plushenko and he seems to be fine. Much better than 2010 except by Brennan and armour.

Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    Hilarious!

vCash

This man has some 50-70 years or so to go and I'm sure would not like to spend them in a wheel chair!

Right on ! After what we saw in that long program there's no doubt he could have medal(even win) if he had a HEALTHIER BACK.

vCash
    It's just nonsense!

This man has given literally blood, sweat, and tears to be here! If at all possible he would have been out there.
    You are right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crs View Post
    Right on ! After what we saw in that long program there's no doubt he could have medal(even win) if he had a HEALTHIER BACK.
    It reminds me of Michelle and what happened in the competition in Torino.

Oh well, just as Michelle said, his legacy cannot be disputed and he goes down as one of the greatest ever!

vCash
    So true. His haters CAN'T TOUCH THAT LOL!

vCash
    I think after that horrific men's long program, people have a new found appreciation for Plushenko's consistency at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Then Nancy Armour's article post-withdrawal is wrong - she explicitly stated that Plushy had the option of withdrawing after the team event and been replaced if he had chosen to. I just assumed that Kovtun was the next best choice because he had won Russian Nats and Plushy had been controversially selected for the Olys over him (also more or less stated in the article). I did not follow Euros and didn't know Kovtun had another chance there and/or that Voronov did well, so thanks for the enlightenment.

I don't mean to disparage Plushy because he truly is one of the GOAT and he deserves all the accolades and tributes that are being heaped on him right now, but if he could have withdrawn after the team event and been replaced I really wish he would have because he stated he had felt pain even on the last 2 jumps in the TE. Another Russian man would have deserved to shine and do really well.
    It was not really arbitrarily left up to the skater or their fed do decide if he can withdraw after the TE. Had it been an injury that occurred during the TE or right after it, or had he gotten sick the night of the TE finish, Russia could have substituted him. For a chornic injury like that, it would have looked like he and his fed had cheated. Then people would have been talking about the scandal in Sochi- may be. They couldn't afford to do that. Plush must have thought- like any elite athlete would- that he could compete despite the injury. The deadline for withdrawal was very early - Wed. after the TE, by 10 AM. That's not a lot of time to think, so it was natural for him to think he could handle two more days of pain. In a way it was his bad luck that there was not much of a break after the TE, for the men. Pairs faced it too, but as we all know, pairs can skate into their mid thirties. Mens discipline is the toughest on the body. I am really sorry that Plushy could not skate in the individual competition. It seemed almost nobody was able to handle the Olympic pressure, except D10. Plushenko would have, and could have medalled there. In any case, 4 Olympic medals- 2 Gold & 2 Silver, 3 world championships, and a stellar career from age 15 to age 31 makes him a legend. We may never see another skater with that kind of drive and determination again- certainly not in my lifetime.

vCash
    Plushenko was in a class by himself in the team event. He reminded me what male free skating is supposed to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge2ice View Post
    ZHENYA...I've been a fan since he won his first World medal in 1998. I can't believe his competitive career lasted so long...and yet I can't believe it's over now. Truly the end of an era. My heart breaks. Thank you, Zhenya, for all the wonderful moments you've given us.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    I'm sorry he wasn't able to skate in the individual event, but I hope he has no regrets. He's an amazing skater who has had an amazing career, most skaters would kill for a career just half as successful as his. The longevity of Plushenko's career is astonishing, especially when you consider that whenever he competed he was always amongst the very top skaters in the world.

Anyway, hope he takes care of himself, is able to enjoy spending time with his family and is able to fully enjoy the next stage of his career/life

Plushy's career is almost unprecedented. We have to go all the way back to Gillis Grastrom (sp?) to see 4 Olympic medals, and none in the free skating era.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I think that nothing he would do in the singles could compare to how awesome that whole team experience was. He skated above and beyond what many thought he could, his teammates were amazing, the arena was euphoric, Putin was on hand to congratulate them... what a high to go out on.

I won't remember him withdrawing in the individual event, but i will remember how he and everyone else skated in the team event on their way to Gold.
    What a great career.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I've never been the world's biggest Plushenko fan, but frankly, that's absurd. He has never been the kind of skater who just "didn't want to skate." I think if there was the slightest chance that he could have competed, he would have.
    He is such a competitor to have gone through 12 surgeries, numerous rehabs and pain injections, that anyone that says he did not want to compete does not know what he/she is talking about.

Thanks for this link.

vCash
    I was at ONTD during the free skate and everyone was like just cancel this event and give all the medals to Plushy loll.

vCash
    I read you.. I'm crying...Plushenko gave me so much emotions..And I like the American people already like him..

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/evge...ochi-olympics/
    Five athletes we've fallen in love with at the Sochi Olympics

This is the most heartbreaking moment of the Olympics
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/evge...igure-skating/

vCash
    Plushenko was the best skater of his era
    http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...er-of-his-era/ very nice article...

vCash
    read! most of the comments are american http://www.facebook.com/Plushenko?fref=ts

vCash
    I felt for Plushenko. Sure, for a while I was "over" him or more the constant talk of him coming back year after year. BUT. . . when he skated in the team event I found myself watching him and once again appreciating him. As a skating fan, I give him his due. A legend. It sucks he had to withdraw, but it was smart and we see so many athletes push too far at the Olympics and cost them their careers. Plushenko deserves credit for listening to his body and not risking it. He left with his dignity and pride. And to any that say "Well, he chickened out. He knew he couldn't win!", I call a big stinking pile of BS for a few reasons
    1) This is Evgeny Plushenko. When has he EVER been afraid of competition? He likes it. This is the Olympics. He knows how it works. He doesn't fear anyone
    2) Why would he disappoint his fans in his home country? He loves Russia, and that's not his style. At. all.
    3) How do you know he wouldn't win? If he scored around what he did in the team, he'd be in third and six points off second, ten off the lead. He could well have won.

I also don't think he did this to hurt Kovtun, it was just bad timing. The day after the team final was the last day to call an alternate and Plushenko must have thought he'd be OK. When he realized he wasn't it was too late. Does it suck for Kovtun? Yes. Is it Plushenko's fault? No. It's just really unfortunate. That's all

Rest and take care, Evgeny!

vCash
    read! most of the comments are american http://www.facebook.com/Plushenko?fref=ts
    Nice! Thanks for posting this. I really missed him during the mens LP competition today. It seemed none of the top skaters (in the last flight) could handle the pressure. Plushenko could have. It just made me appreciate him even more. I hope he will skate in shows and I hope he will come to the USA to perform.

vCash
    Such a shame Plushy hurt himself - he would have wiped the floor with all those crap performances in the men's FS. We thought it would have been an impossibility for him to win what with all the young talent challenging him; as it turns out he had nothing to worry about.

It really makes one appreciate what a competitor Plushy was - even at as young an age as Chan and Hanyu are now, he was delivering performances with such fight, such stand in them.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I'll just put it this way, if healthy, Plyushchenko never would have just taken the platter when the gold medal was teed up for him to win, and I say this as someone who is a fan of both Chan and Hanyu. Zhenya handles pressure and fights better than anyone though!

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast