Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 1003
  1. #821
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Then Nancy Armour's article post-withdrawal is wrong - she explicitly stated that Plushy had the option of withdrawing after the team event and been replaced if he had chosen to. I just assumed that Kovtun was the next best choice because he had won Russian Nats and Plushy had been controversially selected for the Olys over him (also more or less stated in the article). I did not follow Euros and didn't know Kovtun had another chance there and/or that Voronov did well, so thanks for the enlightenment.

    I don't mean to disparage Plushy because he truly is one of the GOAT and he deserves all the accolades and tributes that are being heaped on him right now, but if he could have withdrawn after the team event and been replaced I really wish he would have because he stated he had felt pain even on the last 2 jumps in the TE. Another Russian man would have deserved to shine and do really well.

  2. #822
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,807
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Then Nancy Armour's article post-withdrawal is wrong - she explicitly stated that Plushy had the option of withdrawing after the team event and been replaced if he had chosen to
    It's a very complicated issue. The rules for the team event stated that the skaters participating in the TE had to come from the same pool of those entered in the regular event. Thus, if a country had only one entrant, that skater would be required to do both SP and LP for the TE, plus the individual event. However, as in any Olympics, an injured skater could withdraw and be replaced by the alternate. The deadline to withdraw/be replaced was after the TE event (a day or two later).

    When Plushenko finished second at Nationals, he told the press he would like to do the TE alone and have a young skater take the individual spot. Immediately there were articles about Russia exploiting the loophole of using the alternate and how it was an abuse of the rules. The federation clarified that Plush was not aware of this rule (that the one skater had to do both TE and the individual) and that if he had the spot he would have to do both events.

    Kovtun went on to finish 5th at Euros (Voronov silver, Menshov bronze) and Plush did well enough in his test skate to get the spot.

    Technically, he could have withdrawn after the TE, but it would be within the discretion of the committee (IOC or ISU, not sure) whether to accept his reason and allow the alternate to skate. If they determined that he came to Sochi injured and never intended to do the individual, they could have declined to allow the alternate in. Some even speculated that Plush would have to make a big show in the TE and "pretend" to injure himself on the Olympic ice in order to withdraw before the deadline and be replaced. However, he ended up keeping his word and continued to skate in practices past the deadline and ended up being too injured to skate anyway.

  3. #823
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks a lot for the clarifications, Cherub721 - I learned a lot I never knew before.

    In that light, I guess it makes a lot better sense as to why Plushy didn't withdraw.

  4. #824
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    582
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just saw the NBC piece on him and they're really going with the tragic old hero angle. Such a change from last time. lol.

  5. #825
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the explanation Cherub.

  6. #826
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    510
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Some links to articles about Plushenko in the portuguese media.
    http://www.record.xl.pt/Modalidades/...tent_id=867949
    From newspapper DN: http://www.dn.pt/desporto/outrasmoda...3685656&page=1
    From newspapper "A Bola": http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=459874
    Last edited by DaiKozOda; 02-14-2014 at 04:04 AM.

  7. #827
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    59
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sorry but I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this. I think he didn't want to skate and so he used his back pain as a way out.

  8. #828

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've never been the world's biggest Plushenko fan, but frankly, that's absurd. He has never been the kind of skater who just "didn't want to skate." I think if there was the slightest chance that he could have competed, he would have.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  9. #829
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozy View Post
    Sorry but I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this. I think he didn't want to skate and so he used his back pain as a way out.
    Can you say one reason why he doesn't want to skate???
    Last edited by lala; 02-14-2014 at 08:56 AM.

  10. #830
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  11. #831

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,297
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozy View Post
    Sorry but I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this. I think he didn't want to skate and so he used his back pain as a way out.
    I think he always wants to skate! In 2006 the beat the world champion and then in 2010 beat the wc in the sp and then 2014 beat wc in the team sp!

  12. #832
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,807
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Turned on the TV this morning and there was Plushy on the today show! "Hello America" he says.

    He was asked what happened and said first of all, he wants to say he had a pretty good career with two golds and two silvers. He said the most important thing was he won a gold with the team, but he really wanted to skate for the audience/fans. Said he has an "army of fans" around the world. He was happy he did triple axels and quadruples in the team event, his skating was pretty good, and said he beat Patrick Chan, a very good skater, in the SP and that was very important to him.

    When he did the triple axel in the warmup he felt something click in his back; he has four screws and a plastic disk in there, 12 surgeries overall. He just couldn't skate. He said he wanted to change figure skating a bit, that he is 31, and back in the day 20-21 year old guys would retire and skate in exhibitions. He wanted to show he could still skate.

    Then he said he wanted to thank Michelle Kwan because she has been very supportive of him in Sochi and Evan Lysacek for his support on twitter (made texting motions with his hands).... then they kinda cut him off because I don't think they expected him to be so chatty. He was kind of ignoring her questions and just making a speech. He seemed in good spirits.

    Thanks for that video, lala.

  13. #833
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Turned on the TV this morning and there was Plushy on the today show! "Hello America" he says.

    He was asked what happened and said first of all, he wants to say he had a pretty good career with two golds and two silvers. He said the most important thing was he won a gold with the team, but he really wanted to skate for the audience/fans. Said he has an "army of fans" around the world. He was happy he did triple axels and quadruples in the team event, his skating was pretty good, and said he beat Patrick Chan, a very good skater, in the SP and that was very important to him.

    When he did the triple axel in the warmup he felt something click in his back; he has four screws and a plastic disk in there, 12 surgeries overall. He just couldn't skate. He said he wanted to change figure skating a bit, that he is 31, and back in the day 20-21 year old guys would retire and skate in exhibitions. He wanted to show he could still skate.

    Then he said he wanted to thank Michelle Kwan because she has been very supportive of him in Sochi and Evan Lysacek for his support on twitter (made texting motions with his hands).... then they kinda cut him off because I don't think they expected him to be so chatty. He was kind of ignoring her questions and just making a speech. He seemed in good spirits.

    Thanks for that video, lala.


    Have you a video on Today morning show?

  14. #834
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    fficial statement of Russian skating federation... google translator:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...y-vinovatyj%2F

    Wrongfully Accused?

    Olympic competition in men's figure skating at the Olympic Games in Sochi will be today without the participation of the Russians. Now two-time Olympic champion Yevgeny Plushenko, who won gold at this Olympics in the team competition and could not continue the fight in the standings.
    In the short program, Plushenko individual competitions went 7th starting number. Together with the other skaters he went to workout. Spectators gathered mostly look at him, went into ecstatic cries of "Russia!". But by the end of the warm-up skater drove to a side where there were coaches and doctor of the Russian team, and from there went to the judges. In what was happening at this moment on the ice, did not want to believe. The room fell silent. And in that silence Plushenko left the ice. Shocked viewers, as is customary in such cases, he did not even applauded.
    In the locker room Plushenko went along with the doctor, without giving any comments to reporters. A minute later came the press athlete coach Alexei Mishin. A few minutes in Russian and English explained that back problems, which gave itself felt towards the end of any rental program during the team competition, not allow his wife to continue playing in Sochi.
    Plushenko is repeated himself, appearing later in the mixed zone. On the issue of completion amateur career did not give a definite answer and officially that he is leaving the amateur sports not announced.
    "As you know, the story does not tolerate the subjunctive mood. If yes how to make it known, so there is no point in discussing. We must rely on the facts. And the facts are: Plushenko helped our team win gold in the team competition. It's a fact, "- commented Tamara Moskvina famous. According to the coach, we can only guess, as would have behaved in place our Plushenko any other athlete who'd played in the Olympics. What Plushenko during the years of his boxing career has learned to cope with any pressure, and in this sense it can be called a genius athlete confirmed and choreographer Maxim Kovtun U.S. champion in ice dancing Pyotr Chernyshev.
    Olympic Games, the more domestic, is not only a celebration, but also crazy stress for athletes. No wonder they say that the Olympics will win the one with the strongest nerves. In this sense, Plushenko coped with. Asked the team winning rhythm, and together with other athletes won a gold medal - until one of the two Russian team gold at this Olympics.
    "We should not forget that the relatively recently underwent major Eugene spinal surgery. No guarantee that he will be able to pursue a career, no one gave the athlete. He remained in fact one of the few chances and a great desire to perform in Sochi. Plushenko desire was so great that he was able to recover, and made ​​the program skated in the team competition at the Olympic Games, to support the guys. And not just support, but his example showed how to do it. In the short program team tournament Zhenya was second, won the long program. He gave all the power team competitions. And if not for the circumstances, it would have continued and in personal appearances.
    In big sports injuries are not uncommon. And because of this, when an athlete is removed from the competition, then going on to include health, so do not really understand why what happened with Plushenko has caused such a stir. The team won the gold medal Eugene. Do skaters at this Olympics has three medals. A job that federation and team set ourselves we even exceeded. But there are two other kinds - ice dancing and the female figure skating. Let's focus on this "- said the president FFKKR Alexander Gorshkov.
    Replace Plushenko after the team competition by a substitute that was envisaged regulations ISU was not possible. The reason for the replacement was to serve "fresh" injury received during the competition at the Olympics, but not the consequences of old. But by virtue of permanently emerging team tournament after severe back pain to continue personal competition Plushenko could not.
    "During the operation in Israel Wife rigidly fixed two vertebrae, resulting in the adjacent vertebrae are experiencing heavy load. This leads to a change in the vertebral joints and their greater mobility. Because hyperextension capsules of these joints may occur severe back pain that happened yesterday before the short program.
    Ride in this state athlete could not.
    Yesterday evening, Plushenko was examined in our medical center. He underwent anesthetic blockade. Today it looked neurosurgeon. Improved condition of the athlete. Further recommendations of experts: a consultation with the attending physician in Israel who operated Plushenko to develop appropriate course of treatment, "- said the team doctor Jaroslav Bugaev.
    Situations Plushenko many now want to do a PR. And some politicians and the media have even more to attract the audience. Some of our leaders have agreed to in order to limit the period of performance of athletes in two Olympic Games. However, it is worth recalling that the great Irina Rodnina performed at three Olympics and won three Olympic gold medals.
    Plushenko for the Games in Sochi was the fourth in a row. And he brought four of our team medals. Both wanted and promised Plushenko out of this great sport undefeated, becoming now a two-time Olympic champion. And to not say the word - to win gold in Sochi - he kept.
    Olga Ermolina, Sochi


    Evan http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/02/12/67585378
    ....
    Lysacek put on his commentator's hat, analyzing Plushenko's chances. He defeated the Russian by 1.31 points for Olympic gold in Vancouver.

    "His weakness has always kind of been in the components, the [lack of] complexity of his programs," he said. "The short program usually sheds less of a spotlight on that than the free skate does, so the free skate will be very telling."

    As we all know now, Plushenko won the team men's free skate, despite doubling several planned triple jumps and seemingly improvising much of his choreography.

    Four years after Vancouver, is it possible Plushenko could contend for an individual medal?

    "I wouldn't count him out," Lysacek said. "I think he is definitely still a major player. He is as tough as any athlete in any sport, to go out and do that on home turf. When the Russian pair team skated, people were very loud and rowdy. When Plushenko skated, the crowd was like sort of silent and, in a way, nervous for him. It was cool to see that."
    ....

    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s...157752072.html google translating

    Evan Lysacek : "For me, an ideal skater Plushenko "

    Tags Sochi 2014 Russian team male skating Evan Lysacek Evgeni Plushenko

    Olympic champion Vancouver 2010 figure skating Evan Lysacek shared expectations of the performance of Evgeni Plushenko in Sochi.

    - What does the champion of the last Olympics in the men's hands, pre-launch a program ?

    - Team competitions gave some idea of the results that can be expected in the form of individual programs . Plushenko brilliantly acted for the Russian team , so he is definitely one of the main candidates for the prize . But let's not forget what he has strong competitors : the triple world champion Canadian Patrick Chan , Japanese Yuzuru Hanyu , who incredibly progressing lately.

    He's still quite young, but already the winner of the Grand Prix. His compatriot Daisuke Takahashi is also very good. The winner will be the one who will be able to avoid mistakes , and, of course , much will depend on the complexity of the program. For example, in a Team Plushenko skated his program almost flawlessly and earned high scores.

    - Were you surprised Plushenko form in the team tournament ?

    - Yes, he's in great shape ! He is the only representative of Russia in men and it great responsibility . Your country expects him to medal, and it can not push psychologically. Many doubted whether he was ready to perform at the highest level. But he was able to prove that his ability to withstand this stress. He is very experienced and psychologically stable . This can be a decisive factor in men's competitions , which involved a lot of newcomers .

    For many years I know Plushenko , together we participated in a tour in the United States . He joined him after a win at the Olympics in Turin. We often see each other at competitions . On Plushenko I'd rather be equal , because he was older than me. For me, it is an ideal skater . I remember watching his performance in Salt Lake City. In Turin I have personally participated in the competition , but then I did not fight with him for a gold medal, and came in fourth place - Lysacek said .
    Last edited by lala; 02-14-2014 at 04:51 PM.

  15. #835
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    582
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  16. #836
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    Wow!
    I don't think this is good for Plushy in the western people eyes..

  17. #837
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    582
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Eh I think he's actually getting more heat from his home country this time. The NBC coverage of him in the US was extremely sympathetic and tear-jerking last night, so the public is pretty much on his side this time.

  18. #838
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The people love him even in these days..a sharp increase in the number of his followers of Twitter and Facebook in two days..

    https://www.facebook.com/Plushenko?fref=ts Look at the messages

    Twitter account: https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko

    and many viewers of his video on Youtube!!

    i already showed it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tswOmw6vqhI but more than 1, 8 millions viewers in 3 days..

    I like more this video, but this isn't so popular as the new one.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrR_Rpyh5uE fantastic!!


    beautiful http://fiorerouge.wordpress.com/2014...my-plush-post/
    Last edited by lala; 02-14-2014 at 05:44 PM.

  19. #839
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Russia has worse politician than Putin http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20140214/724763342.html

    Zhirinovsky is an ultranationalist , antisemite politician..

    I'm watching the comp..Plushy could win a medal
    Last edited by lala; 02-14-2014 at 07:17 PM.

  20. #840
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    582
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •