Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Will We Ever Going To See a Quad Axel??

Quads were a few and a dime 5-10 yrs ago. Now, almost every male skater has it (even many of them still can't skate). Quad Toe is the obvious choice. And we are starting to see Quad Salchow and Quad Flip, even Quad Lutz. I wonder if I will ever get to see a Quad Axel in my life time.

vCash
    Takes too much effort for even a sp. 4 and a half rotations! Brezina has a huge 3a but like trying it may be too dangerous or it would just be << probably. Can someone be so powerful as to use a forward takeoff to do 4 1/2 times and land? Landing would need a strong blade and boot.

vCash
    I would think that if it is physiologically possible, we'll see it. But I don't know whether it's possible.

vCash
    this guy landed forward on an attempt :p
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_uc4O3DVE

it would need to be someone who gets crazy snap into their rotation... and nobody except for Konstantin Menshov is really coming to mind. but he's done 4+4 combos and stuff.

vCash
    Plushenko said 4A is possible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-6WJ6O0wB8 from 9:40 funny!!!
    Last edited by lala; 11-14-2012 at 08:00 AM.

vCash
    Long ago a triple axel was considered impossible because it has 3 and a half revolutions in the air. May be some day someone will land a quad axel. First I would like to see a quad flip, however.

vCash
    We never know the future ..... Figure skating is first and foremost a sport, and if athletes are allowed to push the boundary and be rewarded for taking risks, then we may see quad axels in competitions.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I seem to recall there was an article that said human is capable of doing quints.

vCash
    Ilia Kulik landed one off the ice, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it on the ice.

I remember watching Gachinski's SP at Euros last year and thinking, "Holy CRAP, that was so high, he had time for one more!". But I think whoever does try it is gonna need a triple Axel that's massively rock-solid, and tbh I don't know if there's anyone young enough with one solid enough to try.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    I have a vague memory of Yagudin saying he tried a few attempts in practice, but didn't get around on them (before the hip injury, of course).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    I have a vague memory of Yagudin saying he tried a few attempts in practice, but didn't get around on them (before the hip injury, of course).
    I remember reading somewhere that both Yagudin and Pluschenko attempted a few in practice.

I also remember reading that Viacheslav Zagarodniuk had played around with quad axels in a harness, and attempted some without.

vCash
    I think in order to see 4A you would need to see skaters start to land 4T at a younger age then it is currently - Gachinsky landed a 3A at twelve - so if skaters could master the other quads by their late teens - the way they do with triples today - then you could see someone trying to add a 4A to their repertorie.

vCash
    Plushenko said he never tried a 4A in one of his interviews. Some rumors spreaded by his fans said he did.

vCash
    I'm sure we will. The question is when?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Plushenko said he never tried a 4A in one of his interviews. Some rumors spreaded by his fans said he did.
    If you watch the clip up thread that someone posted to the small medal ceremony at Europeans 2012, Pluschenko seemed to suggest the person attempting them that he was referring to was himself....or i missed the joke that caused the laughter, but he then says "it's true" afterwards.
    Last edited by antmanb; 11-14-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    On the one hand, raising the technical bar is exciting for the sport.

But on the other, jump injuries can take out a skater like that. You only have to look at skaters from the 1970s and 1980s and that they had pro careers reaching 10 or 15 years. Dorothy Hamill is still skating and she retired from the amateur ranks in 1976.

The flip side is that Tara Lipinski barely skated two years before she had to give up touring entirely.

vCash
    Maybe it's a silly question, but isn't there a higher risk of injury to the body due to the higher strain - not just to land it but to train for it on a daily basis? Especially if that means you are going to start training all the other quads at a younger age? or does the number of rotations change little, i.e. training for a triple salco has about the same impact on the body as training a quad salco?

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    On the one hand, raising the technical bar is exciting for the sport.

But on the other, jump injuries can take out a skater like that. You only have to look at skaters from the 1970s and 1980s and that they had pro careers reaching 10 or 15 years. Dorothy Hamill is still skating and she retired from the amateur ranks in 1976.

The flip side is that Tara Lipinski barely skated two years before she had to give up touring entirely.
    Sorry, your post wasn't there when I started writing mine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    No, Plush said in an interview he never tried quintuple

vCash
    never mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    If you watch the clip up thread that something posted to the small medal ceremony at Europeans 2012, Pluschenko seemed to suggest the person attempting them that he was referring to was himself....or i missed the joke that caused the laughter, but he then says "it's true" afterwards.

Can you post what exactly he said? That does not really matter, I am just curious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast