Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SUN View Post
    AFAIK, they are not, but people say the relations are like a bother and a sister. Also the story is that when Yuri was disqualified he was taken for the military service (which is compulsory in Russia). He was at some military unit in a remote area in Siberia. Vera was skating alone but every two weeks she travelled to the area where Yuri was doing his national service to visit him and to support him because Yuri felt really guilty and at cetrain moments he was at the breaking point. So Vera did everything to help him to overcome this mental crisis.
    They're not a couple ? really ? I remember an interview a few years ago that they were dating
    they seem to have real close bond or maybe indeed she only feels he is his big brother only ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    I don`t get it..why don`t American/Canadian pairs work with him in Chicago?
    Maybe because they wouldn't appreciate if he started relationship with the female part of the pair? (Totmianina, Mukhortova...) In some countries it can be a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Maybe because they wouldn't appreciate if he started relationship with the female part of the pair? (Totmianina, Mukhortova...) In some countries it can be a problem.
    now that you mentioned it, if its indeed true he offered Bazarova to skate in his group, he has a love-hate relationship with her
    one of the reasons he dislikes Bazarova is because she turned him down/offer

vCash
    He didn't say anything that most people weren't thinking already. It's nice to see someone be honest. I would love to see him coach better teams like S/K and Russian jrs.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    I don`t get it..why don`t American/Canadian pairs work with him in Chicago?
    They'd rather work with Sappenfield?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    They're not a couple ? really ? I remember an interview a few years ago that they were dating
    they seem to have real close bond or maybe indeed she only feels he is his big brother only ?
    if they are a couple and the best they can relate to each other on the ice is what we've seen then...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SUN View Post
    Two stories I heard about Bazarova - Vasiliev situation.

1. At the very beginning of Yuri' s disqualification for 2 years many thought that that was the end of the pair Bazarova-
    Larionov. So, Vasiliev who had influence in the RUS Federation at that time said he needed Bazarova (supposedly for Blanchard but not sure). Piseev called Bazarova and told her to pack and to be in St.Petersburg in Vasiliev's group in 2 days. Even the coach of Bazarova-Larionov told Vera to go because as she said if she does not follow Piseev's instructions, she by that will put the end of her skating future.
    Despite all this pressure Vera who was 13 or 14 years old at that time said the following: Yuri was my first parner and was patient with me when I started skating pairs from zero level with him ( he was already a pair skater with different partners before). I shall not betray my partner and shall wait for him, no matter what my future will be. This was the position of 13-14 years old girl.

2. Two years ago there was a huge pressure to take the pair Bazarova-Larionov from their current coach who has no political influence and to give them to Vasiliev who had the interest in the pair. The pair refused.

So, I am not surpirised that Vasiliev does not like them after they refused him 2 times. But I admire Vera's life position. May be she is tiny physically but she is sure strong in her mind to sya NO to Piseev and to stick to her life principles.
    ...And now it all makes sense!!

Wow, this is giving me a certain awed respect for Vera, what a girl! Standing up to Piseev and renowned coaches. She was right to do it as things turned out good for them.

Love how many things become clear when reading this forum. The stage is lit from backstage, and it ain't over till the fat lady sings
    Touching the void.

vCash
    You never know how they could do with Vasiliev though. They might have won medals at worlds already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primorskaya View Post
    ...And now it all makes sense!!

Wow, this is giving me a certain awed respect for Vera, what a girl! Standing up to Piseev and renowned coaches. She was right to do it as things turned out good for them.

Love how many things become clear when reading this forum. The stage is lit from backstage, and it ain't over till the fat lady sings

vCash
    Thanks for the great interview Vaitsekhovskaya! I've always loved Oleg, he is so handsome

I agree that he has said what a lot of people think. I thought that maybe he was taking a breather because he hasn't been coaching anyone in the higher ranks lately. Any pairs team would benefit from his experience....ok well Murkhortova/Trankov were just too mismatched to begin with so that team doesn't count....but man he could take more teams to a gold medal in the future.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    I think the problem lies in the focus of the sport currently. It seems there are too many skaters and coaches that are putting all their eggs in the quad and triple+triple baskets or more difficult side by side triple jumps and throw triple jumps while ignoring the skating skills and presentation baskets. I can think of nothing more that makes me want to turn the channel than seeing a skater struggle to land a quad or triple+triple or throw triple because he or she doesn't have the speed or flow across the ice either individually or from the help of their partner to even attempt such maneuvers. Then, the agony of seeing said skaters attempt to interpret music that is beyond their understanding or sophistication level and they are already behind the music anyway because they are so damn slow. UGH, where's the remote?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I think the problem lies in the focus of the sport currently. It seems there are too many skaters and coaches that are putting all their eggs in the quad and triple+triple baskets or more difficult side by side triple jumps and throw triple jumps while ignoring the skating skills and presentation baskets. I can think of nothing more that makes me want to turn the channel than seeing a skater struggle to land a quad or triple+triple or throw triple because he or she doesn't have the speed or flow across the ice either individually or from the help of their partner to even attempt such maneuvers. Then, the agony of seeing said skaters attempt to interpret music that is beyond their understanding or sophistication level and they are already behind the music anyway because they are so damn slow. UGH, where's the remote?
    Actually, I think that there is a lot of emphasis on skating skills and transitions in training and in program construction. The problem is, not everyone knows how to combine transitions and the display of strong skating skills with good interpretation and well-executed elements and programs.

I'm still amused that he thinks the problem with S/S is that there programs are repetitive. I can't imagine how someone with any understanding of skating can say that with a straight face.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'm still amused that he thinks the problem with S/S is that there programs are repetitive. I can't imagine how someone with any understanding of skating can say that with a straight face.
    I understand it if he's talking about this year only. Both programs have similar costumes and no really unique moves so they're not easy to distinguish, the way that Angels & Demons/Pina or Korobushko/Pink Panther were. The choreo in Bolero is not stellar and contains many of their old moves. It still has more transitions than most other programs, but for someone familiar with S&S, it's repetitive.

If he means they are repetitive generally in their career, then yeah, that's insane.

vCash
    [QUOTE=
    OV: What's there to be interesting if people without 2 jumps, 2 throw jumps and a so-so lift get 130 points and a season best? There is something wrong with that. I understand the audience that left the rinks after the CoP was introduced. They stopped understanding figure skating altogether.
    [/QUOTE]

I think anyone who watched the Ladies NHK final understands exactly what he is saying here. Instead of focusing on what ladies he has "dated", we should be focusing on saving figure skating from the judges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12