Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    What a dog's breakfast Dexter ended up being. Bad storyline and acting. I felt no sympathy or empathy for any of the characters so didn't care what happened to them. I thought the last season started off promising, but then it was almost as if the producers and writers gave up and just tried to find a convenient way of ending.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    What a truly disgusting season and an even more disgusting finale. AWFUL. Those writers had to have done this on purpose. Are they mad at the fans or mad at their bosses? That ending was just....bad. Not even any background music. I wont even go into all the awfulness. It was just AWFUL!!!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Definitely one of the worst series finales ever. Nonsensical, depressing, and amateurish. F-minus.

Ms Lurker if you're nasty
    vCash
    I may be the only one, but I liked the finale.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurking Skater View Post
    I may be the only one, but I liked the finale.
    And we forgive you whilst the rest of us are in therapy.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

INTJ
    vCash
    I felt like there were too many storylines this past season. Vogel, Hannah, Deb's self destruction... It was just too much. The finale followed suit. I don't buy for a second that Dex would leave Harrison either.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    I thought the season was wonderful and I was good with the finale until the last 5 minutes. Being that Deb was gone and Dexter had basically cured himself of needing to kill, why not let him join Hannah and Harrison? The loss of Deb injects enough sadness into the story and makes it so that after all of it, Dexter doesn't walk away like Bella from Twilight, who gained every single thing she wanted and lost absolutely nothing in the process (flat out horrible storytelling BTW).

With Deb gone, there was nothing tying him back to Miami which would have allowed him to literally start over in another country with his son and Hannah. I don't like the fact that after all of that they made Dexter basically give up. What bothers me most is Harrison...I think it's very out of character for Dexter to just leave Harrison like that. When he rode out into the storm, I figured the next shot would be of him having miraculously survived the storm which would be like some kind of divine sign letting him know that he could start over.

The last damn thing I expected was to see lumberjack Dexter! So does he still kill people? Without Harrison or Hannah in his life, without that love, I can only assume he goes back to being the monster...despite the fact they indicated he was finally free from his "dark passenger" when he passed on killing Saxon.

I didn't like it. I was really disappointed and I thought they should have done better than that. They left a lot of loose ends. I expected better...

vCash
    The last season started off okay and I thought there was real potential, but the last four episodes were woeful. Even as a fan of the show and sticking with it, it really started losing me because the writing and plot were so bad. I only stuck with it because I wanted to see what happened at the end.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    The show always challenged the commonly accepted definitions of good and evil. But the finale seemed to dole out punishment to all of the evil-doers except, oddly, Hannah McKay. Dexter leaving Harrison with Hannah, a wanted fugitive serial killer herself, is the craziest part.

I'm still angry about the finale four days later (and I rarely get this worked up about TV shows). Lurking Skater, help me see this differently -- what did you like about it?

Ms Lurker if you're nasty
    vCash
    I think that I interpreted a lot of things differently than most. First off, Dexter was the only character that I really cared about how things ended for him. I didn't think he should get caught and pay for what he did. The whole point of the code was basically to rationalize his behavior, make some justification of his urge to kill, and keep him out of jail. To me, up until the finale, riding off in the sunset with Harrison and Hannah was the was that was going to happen. I like the imagery of him riding off into the hurricane because that probably represented his inner turmoil in a more visual way. Everyone may thin I'm crazy , but I loved the final scene.

I think Dex can survive a hurricane for 2 reasons. First, he's been getting out of seemingly impossible situations for 8 years and second we have to constantly suspend reality and disbelief with this show. Just in the last few episodes, Hannah is a fugitive that doesn't have to alter her appearance at all, Dex can wheel Deb's body out of a hospital with no problem and a US Marshall can set free a wanted criminal who's face is all over the place. Why not drive a boat into a hurricane and survive? There's a lot of sloppy writing, WTF moments, whatever you want to call them. I think Dexter's line in the pilot about Doakes being the only one is a building full of cops that was suspicious of Dexter sums up the series. I loved Dexter as a character, so I chose to look past all the dumb crap. As far as logger Dex, I never bought that he changed. He may have convinced himself that he did, but Deb's death made him realize that a zebra can't change his stripes. I thin he intended to go to Argentina and that's why he sent Harrison with Hannah, but too much changed for him and he has enough humanity to see that it was better to "kill" Dexter and assume a new persona and go on with Harry's code, a new code, or no code at all. If Showtime want's a spinoff and Michael C Hall is up for it, that is a spinoff I would watch.

As for everyone else, Hannah was someone that Dexter could be himself around, she accepted him or who he was and still loved him and that's why I think Dexter was so infatuated with her. She was different that Lumen or Lila was and was a character that the writers could use to make Dexter think he was "cured". I tolerated her for that reason. I hated Deb for the majority of the series and only grew to tolerate her, so I was fine with her ending. She was ultimately Dexter's victim, so I though is was rather symbolic that she ended up like the rest of his victims. She can still get her hero's memorial, Batista and Quinn will see to that and the fact that the turned a blind eye to Dex's blatant killing of Oliver all goes back to their feeling for Deb. The fact that Quinn survived the series is a miracle, he should have been gone after one season. I'm glad Batista got to have awesome moments in the finale. I liked him, Masuka and Jamie. Masuka's daughter storyline was just to give him more dimension that pervy foresics guy and give some side story, the same with Sargent what's-her-name giving Quinn a side story.

I think seasons 1-4 were awesome and 5-8 had a lot of WTF moments and maybe that's when the original showrunner left. To me, Dexter as a character was brilliant and the series as a whole got off track. If we try to make sense of everything, we'll go crazy.

If any of that made you stop beating you head against a wall so hard or made your anger slightly diminish, then I'm glad I could help. And sorry for all the typos and bizarre words that may have popped up, this isn't getting proofread tonight.

vCash
    I have to say I quite liked the ending too. For me these final two seasons have been the weakest of all of them. The plotlines have been really erratic and changeable...Deb in a downward spiral for about 3 seconds, then back to normal and rejoining the police??

I never bought into the idea that a character like Dexter could ever change. We're expected to believe that despite following Harry's code so carefully, for his entire life he's had to fake emotions because he doesn't feel them, and never has - we spent the majority of the entire series being shown this, and his internal dialogue was all about passing for normal and then it's like the writer's thought we'd either forgotten or were expected to believe that he'd completely changed overnight? How? We listened to Dexter telling us exactly how he faked emotions and describing when he got it wrong, how he built himself up to fake it....even when we get the flashbakcs to Harrison's birth in the final episode, you're reminded of exactly how much work it took for Dexter to fake it all the way through that period of his life and yet we're expected to believe that he'd given up his murdering ways and would ride off into the sunset with his son and girlfriend and live happily ever after? That ending would certianly have made be insasnely angry.

I loved the final scene because to me it simply said - that's Dexter, he's a killer and feels no emotion. It ends where it began. To my mind he's gone back to his usual killing ways, but isn't tying himself in knots trying to fake his way in "normal" everyday life by having relationships with anyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123