Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing Attire

vCash

Testing Attire

I am doing my first figure skating tests on Nov. 26. I am doing the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango. I was wondering what everyone wore for their first adult test. I am just wondering if you splurged and bought your first dress or wore a nice shirt with pants? I am going to test an interpretive at the end of the year and thought I would wait to get a dress for that.

vCash
    If you are testing dance, the rules require ladies to wear a skirt/dress (just like in dance competition). You may wear pants for testing MIF or FS. Generally when testing, you will want to wear something that is comfortable for you. You can even wear a warm-up jacket and gloves. You don't need stones or sparkles, something generic-looking that is comfortable and fits you well is a good choice.

Oh, wait, now I see that you are in Canada, so your rules may be different than those in the U.S. Check with your coach about attire requirements. I would recommend wearing a skirt or dress, even if it is not required, b/c many judges have a traditional mindset and prefer to see a female skater in a skirt. See what your coach says.

For my first test (USFS Pre-Bronze MIF and FS), I wore a plain, long-sleeved, velvet dress, and a wrap sweater and gloves. I think for the FS test (after I passed the MIF), I took the jacket and gloves off, not sure. The first FS test is a series of elements done separately w/o music, so I wasn't skating a program, but I think my coach wanted me to look program-like. And the test is over pretty quickly so I didn't have time to get too cold, lol.

Good luck on your tests!

vCash
    Debbie brought up a good point about different requirements and regulations in Canada, but for my MITF tests in the US I wear a black skirt and then bring along two tops -one that's sleeveless and one that has long sleeves and both match a fitted velvet jacket. I wear either one depending on how cold the rink gets, since the last thing I need is to add shivering to my already wobbly legs . For a program or a dance test with music, it might help 'set the mood' if you were to wear a dress, so just double check with your coach or other skaters who've already tested at your rink. In my case, the only competition dress I have is sleeveless and that means I have to cover up my tattoo which is too much trouble for a MITF test.

Fingers crossed and good luck on your tests!
    Last edited by ioana; 11-12-2012 at 03:30 PM.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    While I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules, it's best to do what the judges "like" and that usually consists of looking like you are taking it seriously. Wear a dress and look neatly groomed. A jacket and gloves are ok for MIF but take off the jacket for freeskate. Gloves are ok for freeskate if you must.

I have heard of people wearing black practice leggings/attire and passing their tests but with the subjectivity of our sport it's best to play it safe with a dress. You never know what little thing could cause a judge to be on the fence about passing your test. My pre-bronze test was in practice attire but for every other one I've worn a dress.

vCash
    Whatever you do wear--and if you don't have a dress or skirt, you may be able to borrow from someone at your rink--I strongly recommend "road testing" it a few days prior to the test. If a seam is going to pop or a wedgie is going to form, it's best to know these things ahead of time so you can adjust accordingly Good luck and have fun!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    What you look like counts a lot more in interpretive (i.e. your dress/outfit should reflect the theme of what your program is about). So if you are going to splurge on something to wear for a skating test, I would save it for the interpretive test.

I've seen lots of people test and pass Preliminary dances in the same outfits they practice in, so I don't think it's as big a deal to dress up for those. However, LilJen has great advice about testing your outfit beforehand. Also, make sure that you look neat and put-together, e.g. no runs/holes in tights, no holes in your gloves, no messy hair.
    Last edited by overedge; 11-13-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    When I first started back, I wore a black pull on skirt and a black sweater. You could also do a body suit, wrap skirt and sweater. Neither of those options cost too much.

vCash
    From a judging point of view, keep it simple, comfortable and warm. You will be nervous enough without worrying about being too cold. I don't mind skaters doing their tests in gloves and jackets, particularly patterns or lower level dances.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    agree with all the above. A leo and wrap skirt are fine. Fitted jacket or sweater is best, one of my students was asked to remove a too large jacket so the judges could see her body. Good luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    If you are testing dance, the rules require ladies to wear a skirt/dress (just like in dance competition). You may wear pants for testing MIF or FS.
    Do you know what part of the USFS testing rulebook says this? I just searched it for "attire", "costume", and "skirt" and nothing came up. I have never heard a restriction on attire for tests.

I know that this doesn't apply to the original poster, but I am curious for myself.

vCash
    For my first dance tests, I wore a leotard with a wrap skirt, in black. Very simple, fairly inexpensive. My coach told me not to wear pants, as many judges are conservative on such things.

The only time I wore pants was when I was seven months pregnant, and before the test, I went up to the judges with my coach and we explained why I was in pants.

I didn't buy my first dress until I was past the initial dances.

For the warm-ups, I wear a fitted skating jacket. Some other skaters wear fitted sweaters. We take them off for the test itself, except in one rink, which is outdoors, and in January if you take off your jacket, you'd freeze to death.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    you tested 7 months pregnant!!??!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    you tested 7 months pregnant!!??!!!!!!!!!
    I thought the same thing.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Yup. One of the judges wrote that Garr (and baby) both passed the test, so my daughter actually passed her first skating test quite young.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Yup. One of the judges wrote that Garr (and baby) both passed the test, so my daughter actually passed her first skating test quite young.
    That's adorable!

Thank you everyone for your replies! The leotard and wrap will be great.

vCash
    I understand that is it ok to test all the compulsory dances in a nice leo and wrap (or even a pull on skirt/dress that is not even made for skating but fits the bill). Black is nice but they have different colors and materials now if you want to change it up. They come in long sleeves and turtle neck styles if you get cold.

vCash
    I passed both the Dutch Waltz & Canasta Tango

vCash
    Congratulations!!!!
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Sorry, I'm a little late on responding to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Do you know what part of the USFS testing rulebook says this? I just searched it for "attire", "costume", and "skirt" and nothing came up. I have never heard a restriction on attire for tests.
    You're right, there is nothing about attire in the tests book. But under Competition Rules for dance, it does specifically say that ladies must wear a skirt. Generally, judges expect that skaters will follow the same standards for testing as they would for comp (unless you're 7 months pregnant like Garr ), so it's probably best to wear a skirt or dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Sarah View Post
    Congratulations!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Sarah View Post
    Congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast