Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    vCash
    thank you both for all info. Iona thanks so much for vid. Love your posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    The YP pattern is difficult, as many skaters have mentioned in interviews. The choctaw with the leg-crossing that T&S kept practising at the CoR gala is especially tricky, I think.

Here's Meryl and Charlie's SD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVkUazHThbY
    I´m going to say something controversial but having watched that SD a few times now I think it's beatable. It left a much bigger impression on me at SA and I still think the concept of the dance is brilliant but I'm not seeing any improvement from SA. Maybe my expectations were too high but I expected with the weeks in between SA and NHK and working with Alex Wong for a lot of improvement in their lines and interpretation. Will be interesting to see all the teams side by side at the GPF (shame W&P won't make it as I think they belong there )

vCash
    ITA that Weaver and Poje should be at the GPF instead of a team like I&K who have craptacular programs this season. I can hope that a couple or 2 drop out so W&P can go but I seriously doubt it. Maybe this will light their fire so that the technical comes up on their skating in time for me to see them in London.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Twilight1, Thanks for restating the YP key points.

This video of V&M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC626upyaBA

is labelled with the step numbers, for anyone trying to figure out the key points
    (I find the YP very tricky to watch myself and actually whether anyone has hit a key point or not. I would have to run it by Sloooooo, and even then I wouldn't trust my calls. I can do the Blues, Rhumba, or the Golden with no trouble, but the YP is too fast for me so far.)

YEAH!
    vCash
    Maxim Staviyski mentioned V&M in his latest interview

The dance [I&K's FD] is well choreographed, they do everything they should, but it's just not my style. I just don't like it as much as, say, Virtue/Moir's `Carmen'. Or the last year or the 2 years ago Pechalat/Bourzat's programmes. Or Menshov's programmes.

To sum it up - it's a good young pair. They should work really hard and pay attention to their elements execution. As for their current level - I think it's uncomparable to the Canadians. I think they are in a different leagues. Virtue/Moir lost a bit in their technical ability after leaving Spilband, but as far as the skating and the choreography goes I think they are miles ahead of everyone. There isn't a single pair that could currently compete with them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I´m going to say something controversial but having watched that SD a few times now I think it's beatable. It left a much bigger impression on me at SA and I still think the concept of the dance is brilliant but I'm not seeing any improvement from SA. Maybe my expectations were too high but I expected with the weeks in between SA and NHK and working with Alex Wong for a lot of improvement in their lines and interpretation.
    i see some improvements in the way Meryl Davis moves, she seems more graceful. yes, it's everything well put and they hit the beats with precision. music is not my cup of tea and emotionally it doesn't speak to me, but i guess with this program is about the Shpilband-esque technical beauty I mentioned some time ago. for the most part this looks like a technical program.
    of course, being the romantic type I prefer And the waltz goes on

vCash
    Gongrats to all! This was amazing! Why they didnt get WR? The best team off all times. At last there hard work paid off and judges notice this. Whe other team didnt nothing and stay on one place over the years. I hope V-M will be out of the podium - they didnt let best couple of the Universary to get all attention. I never saw suhc an amazing couple, skating, dancing.
    One more time- congrats and have great party! I will post in this thread the best quality video of D-W FD

vCash

Re: Virtue and Moir #22 - To Russia with love

Lol. They didn't stay in character this time.

Also, I'm fine with the score. The sooner this peaks, the better.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjpxT...ature=youtu.be

I must re-watch this 1000 times. Let get 100 000 viewing for best team ever

vCash

What happened to not caring about the scores?

Am I the only one completely okay about this? I hope I'm not.

vCash
    I'm also okay with this. I think D&W skated the lights out at NHK and deserved the score given the competition (97 for I/K?? )

I will start worrying if V/M and D/W are both clean at GPF and D/W outscore V/M substantially. Tessa and Scott really need to hit those levels!

vCash

I didn't see I-K, but that seems rather high. Any improvements?

vCash
    I'm cool with it

Thanks for importing Staviyski's comments on VM Cherub. I love hearing feedback, ANY feedback be it positive or not, from skaters and coaches. It's a different kind of insight. VM sure seem to have some fans that are the Russian "greats"...Zhulin, Krylova, Tarasova, who else...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    I'm also okay with this. I think D&W skated the lights out at NHK and deserved the score given the competition (97 for I/K?? )

I will start worrying if V/M and D/W are both clean at GPF and D/W outscore V/M substantially. Tessa and Scott really need to hit those levels!
    Meryl and Charlie get on 5 points better with the same levels only in FD. V-M never skate clean, all know about this. M-C get so many 10th, hope at GPF they will have all 10. V-M could only show romantic connection - thats all. Maeryl-Charlie made all elements far better and they work SO hard.
    This is best day for ice dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    I'm cool with it

Thanks for importing Staviyski's comments on VM Cherub. I love hearing feedback, ANY feedback be it positive or not, from skaters and coaches. It's a different kind of insight. VM sure seem to have some fans that are the Russian "greats"...Zhulin, Krylova, Tarasova, who else...
    You are wrong. Russian LOVE Meryl and Charlie. TAT want to send letter to ISU after last season WCh. Krylove spend a lot of time with Meryl in Nice. They all said after FD during friend meeting Meryl-Charlie must won WCh.
    How could you tell this? All understand M-C are far better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I´m going to say something controversial but having watched that SD a few times now I think it's beatable. It left a much bigger impression on me at SA and I still think the concept of the dance is brilliant but I'm not seeing any improvement from SA. Maybe my expectations were too high but I expected with the weeks in between SA and NHK and working with Alex Wong for a lot of improvement in their lines and interpretation. Will be interesting to see all the teams side by side at the GPF (shame W&P won't make it as I think they belong there )
    I think it's a shame that it's gotten to the point that trying to objectively critique something about D&W should be considered controversial. I've said before (I'm not the only one) that with other teams (V&M included) it is okay to discuss the good, the bad and everything in between but for some reason in this quadrennial D&W are off limits unless it's praise.

While I think pani can go a little OTT at times I get where she is coming from. At times there does seem to be the feeling that the judges and others are holding them up as being unbeatable (I'll probably get creamed for that) while the other teams including Scott and Tessa have to be at 200% at all times in order to get the marks they need/deserve. Or at least at times it seems that way.

I do actually really like D&W's SD this season which is a pleasant surprise for me. I haven't been able to jump onboard with some D&W praise since the Bollywood OD. Now Giselle IMHO certainly isn't on the same level as Bollywood creatively but it is good. Very charming and I feel D&W/Marina found another vehicle that showcases D&W's strengths while making a program that looks like more than another technical excersize with bland choreography.

That said I agree with you that Giselle is beatable. I realize that style wise some may prefer the more rousing, fast paced programs that D&W are good at but that doesn't mean that V&M's Waltz isn't a standout in it's own right. I love the Waltz SD from V&M just as much as Carmen and the mood it sets while still having loads of great movement. Like Carmen, there is just so much to look at; very few open spaces and many gorgeous highlights. Once V&M become more comfortable with their programs I still feel that this season they are the top team. Or should be. I realize others feel differently and that is okay too.

Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    i see some improvements in the way Meryl Davis moves, she seems more graceful. yes, it's everything well put and they hit the beats with precision. music is not my cup of tea and emotionally it doesn't speak to me, but i guess with this program is about the Shpilband-esque technical beauty I mentioned some time ago. for the most part this looks like a technical program.of course, being the romantic type I prefer And the waltz goes on
    IMO this is what D&W excel at and when I step aside from critiquing Giselle as a competitive piece I really like and enjoy watching it.

But again like you, I have a slight preference for V&M's Waltz. Both of V&M's programs have so much more to them than being almost all about being excellent technicians which they are that as well. I find that sometimes when two teams are competing against one another, if one team is seen as the technicians then the other is instantly labeled the artists. I remember that happened with the N&K and DenStavs rivalry as well.

There have been a few teams who are both and V&M like DenStavs are one of those teams. They might not be quite as fast as D&W but they really aren't that much slower either. V&M's programs also have had just as much difficulty as those of D&W.

Scott and Tessa have really outdone themselves this season and I want to see their programs skated the way we know they can skate them. I realize this may take until the end of the season to happen especially with the difficulty packed within both programs and after last season, we've seen that it probably won't hurt V&M if they don't win the GPF title but I admit that I want that for them. Purely on a selfish fan level. It's the one major title Tessa and Scott don't have yet. If the Waltz and Carmen can't win them that title, I don't know what will.

I do agree though that with D&W, they show up at the beginning of the season looking so well trained that they seem to peak earlier. The difference between them at the beginning and end of the season isn't as drastic as it is for V&M or even a team like P&B. There isn't much more D&W can do except fine tune what they have and just keep skating clean.
    Last edited by Carmen Ovsiannikov; 11-24-2012 at 09:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    What happened to not caring about the scores?

Am I the only one completely okay about this? I hope I'm not.
    Can't say I'm "okay", but I did expect it. To be fair, they skated that program with tons of energy.
    I completely resent the fact that, even with a polished "Carmen", the two FDs will still be close in scores. But, as Tessa said after WTT... "that's figure skating".

Pani, deep breaths and take it easy. Looong way to go until London.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov
    There have been a few teams who are both and V&M like DenStavs are one of those teams. They might not be quite as fast as D&W but they really aren't that much slower either. V&M's programs also have had just as much difficulty as those of D&W.
    Agreed with your whole post.
    Tessa and Scott have a bit less speed, but more amplitude and better ice coverage. When you watch them live, it's absolutely obvious. Not to mention finishing every move - but we know that doesn't count for much anymore.
    Last edited by IoanaC; 11-24-2012 at 09:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    Tessa and Scott have a bit less speed, but more amplitude and better ice coverage. When you watch them live, it's absolutely obvious. Not to mention finishing every move - but we know that doesn't count for much anymore.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is? I get the same feeling too. I'm not super studied up on the break down of PCS, but shouldn't line/toe point/finished movement be covered under at least one of those categories? Moving to all disciplines now, I'm constantly surprised by how the judges aren't reflecting floppy form and throwaway movements in their PCS. Are SS just all about speed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is? I get the same feeling too. I'm not super studied up on the break down of PCS, but shouldn't line/toe point/finished movement be covered under at least one of those categories? Moving to all disciplines now, I'm constantly surprised by how the judges aren't reflecting floppy form and throwaway movements in their PCS. Are SS just all about speed?
    Those things you list should be covered under the SS requirements, theoretically: "elegant and precise steps/turns". And under PE: "elegant/sophisticated style", "refined line of body and limbs". I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
    The word "form" isn't mentioned anywhere in the criteria.

vCash
    Pani, deep breaths and take it easy. Looong way to go until London.
    I cant breaths and take it easy after i see the best of the best in the history.
    FD even better, then SD - they get seven 10th. Jusat amazing.
    V-M choreo and interpretation is so bad compare to this.
    I dont care about London - all understand, Meryl it... Dancers like her was born one time in 1000 years. But i am so happy i will see all 10th in GPF for best ever.
    The only questing - nobody care what you skate, but more care about how you do this. So i cant understand why Virtue with all her health problems try to skate Carmen, when full of health best ice dance team in history didnt try to show nothinbg even close to this. And this made them look so much better!
    Party for everybody, dance

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast