Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    The TEB Free Dance is on universal sports right now and they just showed Anna and Luca in a Tessa and Scott hug before they compete... how long until all teams are emulating this connecting-moment before they skate
    They can imitate but T&S own the bubble!

vCash
    That's not a bad thing to imitate, in my opinion. I was very critical of Davis and White for pulling that googly eyes stuff, had they done this instead, I would've applauded them even. This is something teams should do to make sure each partner is connected to the other. It works too. Not just in ice dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    That's not a bad thing to imitate, in my opinion. I was very critical of Davis and White for pulling that googly eyes stuff, had they done this instead, I would've applauded them even. This is something teams should do to make sure each partner is connected to the other. It works too. Not just in ice dance.
    Yes, you are absolutely correct. This google eyes is all wrong moves. T-S show this year how to show proper connection with partners. All teams should imitate this standard http://visualrian.ru/ru/images/zooms/RIAN_1285325.jpg It will be good for ice dance and pairs maybe for some ladies and men with coach too on ice or off ice

vCash
    Whenever people praise pre-COP dance as being much better than COP dance, I really wonder what I'm missing. Because I thought pre COP dance had Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, Lobacheva/Averbukh, and Bourne/Kraatz as a string of world champions, and that a really bad thing to remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    The TEB Free Dance is on universal sports right now and they just showed Anna and Luca in a Tessa and Scott hug before they compete... how long until all teams are emulating this connecting-moment before they skate
    Isnt this were T-D who did this huge first?
    i think this could help to any team to breath together in the same rythm.
    But in this case - did Shpilband understand, that copy is worst then original? This beautifull team could find there own way and not try to look like Tessa and Scott
    You know, i am glad, that at least Shpilband teams get levels 2 for there SS. I tired from all that - without Shpilbans V-M lost all there trchnick

vCash
    I've been checking back through GS's old articles, and thought Tessa & Scott fans might enjoy a look back at a younger Tessa & Scott

In 2003, when they were juniors (and they were already Crowd Pleasers )
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2003/03/v...rowd-pleasers/

And 2009, as an Olympic season preview
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2009/08/v...-for-olympics/

vCash
    Thanks for posting those Doris, especially the 1st one......what typical kids. Scott mentioning he only does ballet to help the skating , and Tessa the dresses. This was around the time I became a fan of theirs
    Addicted to FSU

YEAH!
    vCash
    That's so cute! Wish there were videos of them from the 2002-03 JGP or nationals.

vCash
    Some potos from Canton skaters party

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/tessa-virtue

vCash
    Thanks for the articles.
    Love this from the first article

They don’t have a definite timetable for the future, with Moir noting, “We take each year as it comes.”
    Sounds familiar!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Some potos from Canton skaters party

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/tessa-virtue
    These are from a couple of years ago, right? Emily and Evan were still there, and Tessa and Scott look younger, I think. Scott especially.

Also, nice to read those praises from Tatiana Navka.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    These are from a couple of years ago, right? Emily and Evan were still there, and Tessa and Scott look younger, I think. Scott especially.

Yes, i think it was, when Emily and Evan still skating together and Zach Donahue were in Igos and Marina group
    Yes, Navka love them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s...144696467.html

Is someone able to translate this better than Google Translate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s...144696467.html

Is someone able to translate this better than Google Translate?
    I could say she said she in delight from them, she impressed, how good they work together, impressed by there relationships with ice, music, programs. Looks like they simply don't hear what is going around. Emotions overflowed her from the beginning and up to the end. V-M is skating at there own level at her opinion.
    I can tell you, that Staviisky said in his opinion V-M have best programs this season and nobody could be close to them even if all see they have some technikal problems this season. He prise Carmen really high.
    And Zhulin said Camen i very good, new, interesting. But V-M couldnt show it in best light and have some technika problems.

vCash
    Guys, did someone have link to V-M interview after FD at CoR? And maybe SD?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Guys, did someone have link to V-M interview after FD at CoR? And maybe SD?
    this link is to CBC interview FD

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...#id=2302960915

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Whenever people praise pre-COP dance as being much better than COP dance, I really wonder what I'm missing. Because I thought pre COP dance had Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, Lobacheva/Averbukh, and Bourne/Kraatz as a string of world champions, and that a really bad thing to remember.
    If not so much with the technical difficulty, I do feel that creatively/artistically icedance was better pre-CoP.

I actually loved B&K's Adagio FD and they also benefitted from the fact that A&P had retired and L&A practically gave away the title with their FD so B&K were able to take advantage of being the next in line. There were some excellent teams right behind them but those teams (DenStavs, DelShoes and D&L) hadn't really become as good as they would be. Well, I thought that DenStavs programs from 01/02 and 02/03 were better than they were given credit for. Especially DenStavs' Baroque OD.

Also pre-CoP we had (going backwards) A&P, K&O, Grishuk/Platov, U&Z, Moniotte/Lavanchy, Rahkamo/Kokko, Annenko/Stretenski, Drobiasko/Vanagas, Silverstein/Pekarek, Sharutenko/Naumkin and Romanuite/Barantsev among others.

Of course what you felt about those teams and their program choices would influence whether or not you agree with icedance being better (in some ways) pre-CoP. Up until now especially post Vancouver, I just don't think that the SD's or FD's have been at the same level of a number of the programs of the recent and distant past. While techncially more challenging, most post 09/10 programs were more like the singles programs; connect the elements with forgettable content.

All this is naturally INHO.
    Last edited by Carmen Ovsiannikov; 11-19-2012 at 05:57 AM.

vCash
    Do you have any information about the documentary that is supposed to be filmed about Teassa and Scott. Are they still filming it or is it already finished?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Do you have any information about the documentary that is supposed to be filmed about Teassa and Scott. Are they still filming it or is it already finished?
    The only thing I know is that it's going to be aired on CBC in March 2013.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Like Carmen, I feel the need to step in and defend the pre-CoP skaters. I would rather watch those teams than Delobel/Schoenfelder, Davis/White, and Domnina/Shabalin, though mileage varies greatly, of course. Navka/Kostomarov were not exactly what I would call one of the great Russian teams either, although their material under CoP was better than under 6.0. As Carmen pointed out, that era included G&P, A&P, and K&O also.

Personally I like ice dance better from 1996-2004 than 2004-2012. (I'm not even going to include teams like U&Z, T&D, and K&P because it's not fair to compare less than 10 years of CoP to the entire history of ice dancing before CoP.) From 2004-12 the only all time great couples, for me, were Denkova/Staviyski and Virtue/Moir, and DenSta's aesthetic is really developed from their 6.0 days anyway so for me the issue is that V&M actually transcend the new system rather than the new system being better. And one of the reasons I like V&M so much is that they have the qualities that I find missing in many skaters under the new system: the ability to interpret music and different dances, beautiful positions, matching lines, lifts and footwork that go with the music, emotion, and even voids now. I couldn't care less about their twizzles, although they are really great.

As you mentioned "what you might be missing," I will point out the two things that really stand out for me as being different in this era. You don't have to agree, but maybe this will shed some light on why those of that prefer 6.0 feel this way.

-The ODs were sooo much better during that period IMO. Watch FP&M's 2000 OD; it's better than anything in 2006 or 2012 by far when it comes to ballroom authenticity (if not elements). Watch L&A's jive from 1998. They actually had room to breathe and add in steps that worked with the music. These teams always had great ODs and were able to interpret all styles of music. I also loved L&A's foxtrot/quickstep, tango/flamenco, and waltz. FP&M were also particularly good in the jive and the foxtrot/quickstep, but were really good at everything.

-I really miss the days when the lower ranked teams were as entertaining as the top teams. I can look at the waltz OD in 1999 or the Spanish OD in 2002 and I like almost every single couple's interpretation; now I'm lucky if I find 3-5 dances I like per year. Lower ranked teams like Winkler & Lohse, Lang & Tcherynshev, Dubreil & Lauzon, Drobiazko & Vanagas, Chait & Sakhnovsky all had their own very distinctive styles and interesting programs. Nowadays the lower ranked teams are more about finding a nice song and then working on having the best elements they can do. Very few take creative risks.

I can agree that a lot of the skaters on the list are not as good of skaters as the CoP skaters. That's the trade off. Under the CoP both partners have to be good, you have to have difficult lifts and execute them well, you have to have difficult steps and actually hit the edges to make them count, you have to have difficult variations on the twizzles... and some of the 6.0 teams would have struggled with that. However, the contrast to that is the rules were looser and they had the freedom to come up with lifts and footwork that made them look good, while fitting the music and theme, and I think they had more time between the elements to do choreography. That's why many of us prefer the old style, but a technique purist might prefer today's ice dance better because both partners can actually skate.

Also one thing to keep in mind with the specific teams you mentioned (FP&M, L&A, and B&K) is that was a transition period in ice dance. It wasn't CoP, but they were just starting to include twizzles, spins, and no touch footwork sequences. They probably hadn't a clue that they would ever need to do those things to be considered good ice dancers, and didn't have time to catch up technically before they retired.

Sorry for the long post... I never miss the opportunity to go on a tangent about old school ice dance...

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast