Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    It sounds like they're speaking French though.
    That's because they are. Swiss French.

vCash
    In Switzerland there are 4 official languages isn't there?
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I know!

It was Marina. They didn't hear her at first, but when they did they stopped; it looked like they were gonna collide with another team.

And ditto about the Russian fans they are amazing.

I'm glad Jennifer Swan's input was able to take the program from typical to extraordinary.
    So any theories on why Marina was telling them to abort the lift? Did she perhaps see that another couple were heading in their direction AGAIN.

Russian V/M fans are getting a SO from this Canadian. Those fans ROCKED!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    That lift...hell yeah I gasped when I saw it for the first time. It couldn't have been helped.

Random thoughts to add to the pile...

I loved seeing that video of Tess and Scott meeting their oh so supportive Russian fans. It makes me happy any time I see them being reminded of their impact on their fans. Any time they get to receive a little back...with everything we've gotten from them, is just a wonderful thing.

Thank you Emdee and every one else who pitched in to create a banner.

Their skates this weekend were beautiful. Aside from the infuriating camera work! Though, I agree those close up eye shots are amazing and thanks for posting that gif from the beginning of their SD, those eyes can tell stories.

ETA: my French is super rusty...anybody able to translate the Swiss Eurosport broadcast?
    Last edited by jl22aries; 11-13-2012 at 12:13 AM.

vCash
    Thank you so much to everyone who made videos! I really appreciate it. Watching the SD (I'm always going to think of it as the OD), I wish they still had CD, because I think V&M would continue to have beautiful compulsories. I love Carmen more and more with each viewing, it really is a special program. And the exhibition, Anyone who skates to Jeff Buckley's version of Halleluah is a rockstar in my book, the only way this program could be better would be if they skated to the K.D. Lang version.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexxandra View Post
    Wow, these two aborted lifts look scary
    Notwithstanding the aborted lifts, is it my imagination or did the choreographic lift after the 2nd attempt of the rotational lift have much more flow than we've ever seen?

vCash
    Jess, here's the translation:

-Shame on us for having doubted their choice! Bizet's "Carmen", arranged by Shchedrin, fits Virtue and Moir like a glove. This is a fantastic program!
    -And better skated than at Skate Canada. This is really… truly impressive.
    -Let's leave it at that: "really, really…"
    -Even Tatiana Tarasova gives a standing ovation. To a Canadian couple. It says everything.
    -They are extraordinary. When the best ice dancers in the world revisit a classic, it never gets old. Excellence transcends the most famous themes. We had doubted this choice; not anymore. Virtue and Moir will win this Cup of Russia, that's obvious. Not only that, but they attack the season, having the best possible assets under their belt: talent, genius even, because Tessa Virtue is an absolutely breathtaking Carmen.
    -She reinvents herself… Look at this lift! (the first one) She reinvents herself, because her own personality is nothing like Carmen.
    -Yes, she's milder. Here, the beginning is almost sexual, the way they touch each other. They play with the tension, it's volcanic…
    -Exactly, it's a volcanic interpretation. And there are portions of contemporary dance, perfectly incorporated. Everything works in this program, including the costumes. Both are in black and I find it admirable that they avoided the cliché of having Tessa Virtue wear a red dress.
    -They searched deeper than anyone has before them. And not only into the darkness of the character, whom we are used to seeing shining brightly. There's drama in Merimee's story.
    -Look at this lift! (the rotational one) It's not even a lift anymore, it's acrobacy, but within the rules. Which is remarkable, because the rules often prevent skaters from performing this kind of interesting and spectacular moves. They succeed in stepping beyond the framework.
    -She's transfigured in the end. She's not the Tessa Virtue we know, and that's great. I have bad news for all the ice dancers in the world: the leaders are not going to give up their place, especially not with a program like this one. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are on top. The score is the highest of the night, obviously.
    - But it's still 10 points under their personal best.
    -I'd say it was undermarked.
    -Yes.
    -And they're not very pleased. They can do much better.
    -But that doesn't change anything.
    -It was better than at Skate Canada, they deserved a higher score. No doubt, for the Grand Prix Final… Actually, I have a piece of information for you.
    -They are qualified for the GPF. No surprise there.
    -You can watch Virtue and Moir again on Eurosport, at the GPF.

I agree about the terrible camera work at CoR. Aside from Tessa's close-up in the end and a great close-up of their profiles in the "crazy/violent" scene, the SC video is much better.

I almost couldn't watch the practice video from Saturday, but then, when I did, I realized the aborted finale hadn't been so bad. I wasn't exactly their fault, which if you can believe it, I didn't even see at the time! I was worried when I saw them lose concentration after the first bad lift, I kept thinking it was the last practice before competition, with all the judges there... It felt worse live, than it does on video.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    I almost couldn't watch the practice video from Saturday, but then, when I did, I realized the aborted finale hadn't been so bad. I wasn't exactly their fault, which if you can believe it, I didn't even see at the time! I was worried when I saw them lose concentration after the first bad lift, I kept thinking it was the last practice before competition, with all the judges there... It felt worse live, than it does on video.
    I can see why. At the time, you didn't know everything would be fine, but anyone who didn't see it live could only assume that everything was okay since we didn't hear otherwise. I thought it was common decency for skaters to skate in circles and stay away from center ice when other skaters are practicing to their music, or at least be more mindful about getting out of their way.

vCash
    Cool commentary! Thanks!

I read somewhere that V&M were about to collide with I&K and Marina yelled and they stopped the lift at the end of the FD runthrough.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    When I saw the way they handled the aborted lift, all I could think is "that's why V/M are champions." They just turned around and did the lift again, did it perfectly, and Scott even sang the music for it! That's a kind of mental fortitude few people have.

vCash
    Thank you Ioana! How many languages do you have under your belt?! I applaud you.

And their commentary...what emphatic enthusiasm!

Sap5 I didn't notice his lovely a cappella until you mentioned it. This is why I come back again and again,...you guys have the most amazing attention to detail.

vCash
    Jess, here's the translation:

-Shame on us for having doubted their choice! Bizet's "Carmen", arranged by Shchedrin, fits Virtue and Moir like a glove. This is a fantastic program!
    -And better skated than at Skate Canada. This is really… truly impressive.
    -Let's leave it at that: "really, really…"
    -Even Tatiana Tarasova gives a standing ovation. To a Canadian couple. It says everything.
    -They are extraordinary. When the best ice dancers in the world revisit a classic, it never gets old. Excellence transcends the most famous themes. We had doubted this choice; not anymore. Virtue and Moir will win this Cup of Russia, that's obvious. Not only that, but they attack the season, having the best possible assets under their belt: talent, genius even, because Tessa Virtue is an absolutely breathtaking Carmen.
    -She reinvents herself… Look at this lift! (the first one) She reinvents herself, because her own personality is nothing like Carmen.
    -Yes, she's milder. Here, the beginning is almost sexual, the way they touch each other. They play with the tension, it's volcanic…
    -Exactly, it's a volcanic interpretation. And there are portions of contemporary dance, perfectly incorporated. Everything works in this program, including the costumes. Both are in black and I find it admirable that they avoided the cliché of having Tessa Virtue wear a red dress.
    -They searched deeper than anyone has before them. And not only into the darkness of the character, whom we are used to seeing shining brightly. There's drama in Merimee's story.
    -Look at this lift! (the rotational one) It's not even a lift anymore, it's acrobacy, but within the rules. Which is remarkable, because the rules often prevent skaters from performing this kind of interesting and spectacular moves. They succeed in stepping beyond the framework.
    -She's transfigured in the end. She's not the Tessa Virtue we know, and that's great. I have bad news for all the ice dancers in the world: the leaders are not going to give up their place, especially not with a program like this one. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are on top. The score is the highest of the night, obviously.
    - But it's still 10 points under their personal best.
    -I'd say it was undermarked.
    -Yes.
    -And they're not very pleased. They can do much better.
    -But that doesn't change anything.
    -It was better than at Skate Canada, they deserved a higher score. No doubt, for the Grand Prix Final… Actually, I have a piece of information for you.
    -They are qualified for the GPF. No surprise there.
    -You can watch Virtue and Moir again on Eurosport, at the GPF.

I agree about the terrible camera work at CoR. Aside from Tessa's close-up in the end and a great close-up of their profiles in the "crazy/violent" scene, the SC video is much better.

Thank you so much for this, lovely to hear what these guys said.....WOW what compliments, calling them genuis! Truly amazing!

Totally agree, the marks should have been higher here, not sure at all what is wrong with judges, this could have been 105 or 106 easy, I have to say honestly like these commentators did their marks at the GPF should be WAY higher.

If D&W are close to them or beat them at the GPF with Tessa & Scott skating like this, well something is far far wrong..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexxandra View Post
    Wow, these two aborted lifts look scary
    They do......I have always thought tessahad the better lines of the pair,but I got to say that Scott is rocking it in this fd.... Tis style really suits him I am finding myself watching hm more and more .

vCash
    Another vid of fan meeting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf3vmiopByQ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marikat View Post
    Thank you for posting this, they had interesting questions.
    It's great that T&S will continue to work with Jennifer Swan throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh
    I have always thought tessahad the better lines of the pair,but I got to say that Scott is rocking it in this fd.... Tis style really suits him I am finding myself watching hm more and more.
    Not only in Carmen, but in Funny Face as well, Scott's lines and toe-point are fabulous. And it's all completely effortless, he's so naturally elegant!
    Last edited by IoanaC; 11-13-2012 at 09:12 AM.

vCash
    The fan videos are priceless. Thanks for posting marikat and also for all your other postings as well.

Its so touching to see both the open affection of the fans and how they are dealt with by T&S.

I wonder which one is Pani!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marikat View Post
    Thanks. So my question is answered. Originally the FD was the SD and the SD was the FD. Interesting to also hear Scott point out that it was a shame they had to cut so much of the music out of the Hopkins music. I understand what he means as the whole piece does indeed have more layers. Still nice though but I imagine as a FD it would have been very very different in theme and choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    For the time being I'm just really loving watching their programs and the fact that TAT gave them a standing ovation. Coming from her, that is really making a statement.

http://i052.radikal.ru/1211/40/3d0048cdc823.jpg

http://s017.radikal.ru/i407/1211/d3/838053f5939b.jpg

vCash
    Thanks for the fan vids........love them. I wonder which is Pani too. For the past few days I've had the Hopkins waltz running through my head and also parts of Carmen. I hope they will choose to perform all of the Hopkins waltz (with it's many layers) as a "show" piece. It is truly a beautiful piece of music.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Where is Pani? We haven't heard from her for a long time. Miss her

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast