Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    Suguri's latest short program
    Oh, man...that was painful to watch.

The quality of her skating has so evidently declined in every respect, I simply can't imagine where her motivation to keep going is coming from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    Oh, man...that was painful to watch.

The quality of her skating has so evidently declined in every respect, I simply can't imagine where her motivation to keep going is coming from.
    Maybe she feels stronger in 2013 than she was in 1997. Look at where she started from:

Suguri 1997 Worlds SP
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 01-28-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Keep going, Fumie! Never give up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    If Fumie could get a sponsor to pay for better outfits and music, I am 200% in favor of this. These incoherent themes and costumes seem to be her main enemy.
    Maybe her and Aliona get a discount on the sparkly short shorts -buy one, get one free? On a serious note, I think she looks very good for someone who didn't make Nationals. Choreographic help is a must, however. Too much two foot skating between elements. I almost wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to use some of her old COP programs? Good for her, however. Must be nice to have a clean skate and get an early start on her 2014 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    Suguri's latest short program
    TSS51.97 TES27.77 PCS24.20 SS6.00 TR5.85 PE6.10 CH6.10 IN6.20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP&h....be&nomobile=1
    Jesus Christ...

It's more walking than skating, posture and lines are bad and the choreography... Everything is just so messy and unfinished.

This.

The thing is, watching that video it really doesn't look like she's enjoying it much.

She was 4th in the SP, 8th in the FS and 7th overall.

Haruka Imai won with what looks from the scores like two strong performances, redeeming herself after the unsuccessful outing at Nationals

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Jesus Christ...

It's more walking than skating, posture and lines are bad and the choreography... Everything is just so messy and unfinished.

This.

The thing is, watching that video it really doesn't look like she's enjoying it much.
    Hush your ****ing mouth, she's getting sponsors, she's going to the Olympics and she's going to WIN!!! All you naysayers... It's like you live in the world of reality or something....

vCash
    I'd sponsor her... getting institutionalised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The whole thing was a hot mess, for sure, but what really got to me was her flying camel spin. It looked sooo labored, especially when she changed to the inside edge. Her body line completely buckled and by the time she switched to a catch-foot she could barely maintain the edge at all.

Seeing that made me feel so sad, remembering what a secure and decent spinner she used to be before COP.

I agree. It seems like she's just going through the motions.

You compare this program with her Ave Maria from 2002, and the change is very sad to see. I can't even muster up any snark.

Even the costume difference seems to feed into this "has-been" narrative. You compare that beautiful blue dress from 2002 with that 2013 hooker get-up and it's like watching a before and after segment of someone who has lost control of their life.

I know that's hyperbole, but it nevertheless crossed my mind in comparing the two vids.

vCash
    Even the costume difference seems to feed into this "has-been" narrative. You compare that beautiful blue dress from 2002 with that 2013 hooker get-up and it's like watching a before and after segment of someone who has lost control of their life.
    Too true. What do Yoshie, Yukari, and Arakawa think of this?

vCash
    You compare this program with her Ave Maria from 2002, and the change is very sad to see.
    That was so beautiful a performance, I really ask myself - couldn't she savour her best years enough? It's really rare that a performance or a skater makes my cry, but watching her Ave Maria is one of the most moving moments I heve seen in ladies' skating. It's impossible to get back there for her, it seems. Then again - who knows? It's eleven years since.

vCash
    Is Fumie Suguri the Laetitia Hubert of today?

vCash
    Too true. What do Yoshie, Yukari, and Arakawa think of this?
    You know that Arakawa is laughing inside. We recently saw Yukari interviewing skaters for Japanese TV so good for her for finding another outlet to focus on! What is Yoshie up to nowadays?

vCash
    1. That can't be her costume...it just can't!
    2. It looks so labored and unpleasant. I always assumed one of several things about Fumie: I figured she was either very independently wealthy or not particularly skilled outside of skating and forced by wealthy parents to continue skating (i.e. she couldn't work and they would pay her living expenses so long as she skated). It's not either of those, obviously. But she doesn't seem to be enjoying it, so I'm baffled.
    3. If she's serious about a comeback, she needs some real choreo and a great costume, plus a lot of other training that I doubt someone who looks so blasé about it would want to do.

I just want to hug her and remind her that she is beautiful and special and important, like that scene in The Help.

vCash
    Why ?

vCash
    No, that would be an insult to Hubert. Hubert took (ladies) voidy skating to a whole new level. In one of her hooker-on-crack performances, she tripped on a crossover, gave up in the air on a jump, and presented the audience with her crotch at the end.

Hubert decided to end her career when she was in good form. She landed the most difficult combination of her career (Triple lutz-triple toe) at the 02 Olympics, then had a great free program at 02 Worlds.

vCash
    If Fumie could get a sponsor to pay for better outfits and music, I am 200% in favor of this. These incoherent themes and costumes seem to be her main enemy.
    I like the shorts-over-leggings look for a sporty theme. Pairing it with the bare shoulders and long gloves does seem incongruous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    You know that Arakawa is laughing inside. We recently saw Yukari interviewing skaters for Japanese TV so good for her for finding another outlet to focus on! What is Yoshie up to nowadays?
    I thought Yoshie Onda was coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    You know that Arakawa is laughing inside.
    Oh you KNOW our girl Shizuka is watching Fumie's programs sitting on a plush couch with her hair down while wearing a bathrobe and her Torino gold medal while eating Belgian bonbons and using her 2006 Japan Nationals bronze as a coaster for her glass of Port wine.
    Last edited by CantALoop; 01-30-2013 at 10:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    Oh you KNOW our girl Shizuka is watching Fumie's programs sitting on a plush couch with her hair down while wearing a bathrobe and her Torino gold medal while eating Belgian bonbons and using her 2006 Japan Nationals bronze as a coaster for her glass of Port wine.
    That's the silver medal for funniest post of the day (sorry, but you can't beat "The Sochi Olympic gold medal is Evan's to lose")

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast