Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    I really can’t understand why so many people criticize Fumie! If she wants to keep on competing – let her do so. I remember many people stating respect for Midori Ito showing up at the Adults competition in Oberstdorf. – Looks like she missed skating and competing very much, so she decided to compete again on a rather recreational level. If Fumie has the desire to keep on competing at elite level and it makes her happy, what’s wrong with it? Even if she pulls out at competitions last time, she is not the only skater to do so. There always have been nice competitors and nicer ones.

But then competitive behaviour of skaters is a different matter which has nothing to do with Fumie’s desire to keep on skating on elite level. By the way I remember that Sasha Cohen in her biographie told a very nice story about Fumie when competing at SLC OG in 2002 when Sasha forgot her tights and Fumie borrowed her tights to Sasha.

Apparently Fumie loves to skates. As long as she is happy with it and not dissatisfied with her current results – let her do so in piece as long as she doesn’t harm anyone with it. Personally she has my deep respect for still trying her best!
    The big difference is that Ito decided to skated at a level that she should have skated at. Fumie isn't competitive anymore and shouldn't be skating on the Senior level anymore. It's becoming embarrassing.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    What about the dozen or so skaters she beat at her regional competition? Should they all quit too? They aren't competitive at the senior level either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    What about the dozen or so skaters she beat at her regional competition? Should they all quit too? They aren't competitive at the senior level either
    Most of them are students and have never competed internationally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The big difference is that Ito decided to skated at a level that she should have skated at. Fumie isn't competitive anymore and shouldn't be skating on the Senior level anymore. It's becoming embarrassing.
    If Fumie does not feel embarrassed that she does not achieve the shape / results she was used to some couple of years ago, why do you or others? Personally I wish I could skate like she does now and I assume many people would be happy to even reach her current level. I also can’t see how she takes away chances of other skaters – if she takes somebody’s spot in competition, she obviously qualified for such competitions by simply skating better than other skaters who did not qualify.

It’s like with ballet dancers who do it for a living – not all are good enough to do it at Bolshoi. Still they might be good and worth watching. Everybody has the right to do what makes him happy. If others feel embarrassed, don’t look at it / try to ignore.

vCash
    I really can’t understand why so many people criticize Fumie! If she wants to keep on competing – let her do so. I remember many people stating respect for Midori Ito showing up at the Adults competition in Oberstdorf.
    People would respect Fumie too alot if she entered adult competitions against people like Midori, that is what she should be doing do, not going the elite skater circuit while admiting to still chasing crazy crazy crazy (and about another 12 crazies are warranted at this point) ideas like going to the Olympics again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Exactly. Ito chose to come back for the love of competing and skating which she missed, and skate in appropriate competitions for his current skill level, realizing she is no longer the triple axel girl who would outjump the whole World. If she came back announcing she was going to win the Olympics, she would be laughed at too, and that despite that she is about the most loved skater on this forum and anywhere in the World. Fumie is doing it for more than the love of still skating, otherwise she wouldnt be saying in interviews she wants to make it back to the Olympics and needs to keep going until she does, and crazy things like that.

vCash

do you buy one?

well..

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/new...OYT1T00722.htm
    some Fumie related news.

Daimaru Department Store will sell 25 lucky grab bag "photo session with Fuimie"
    ( I wonder if this is including skating lesson) for 10000 yen( Over $100)

Do you buy one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    I don't mind if she is really trying hard as she used to, but I often see her post notes on Twitter that sound like she's not practicing so much but just playing around. This is exactly why she never gets good results in competitions lately, not because of injuries or boot issue or anything else. She takes a lot of chances that many other young skaters need more than she does by still keeping competing like this. If she is not serious, she should just quit.
    Let's get this straight. You believe that Fumie Suguri is a washed up, over-the-hill figure skater who can't express herself in English very well and ought to quit the sport. So what do you do? You read everything she posts on Twitter, including all of her messages in English.

Wouldn't it be better to be less emotionally invested in her personal affairs and stop reading her messages?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    If she came back announcing she was going to win the Olympics, she would be laughed at too, and that despite that she is about the most loved skater on this forum and anywhere in the World. Fumie is doing it for more than the love of still skating, otherwise she wouldnt be saying in interviews she wants to make it back to the Olympics and needs to keep going until she does, and crazy things like that.
    Well, people may have dream. I would like to land a double jump one time, but with starting skating as an adult, it’s almost certainly not going to happen, still I’ll try to move forward as far as possible. Fumie’s goals might not be very realistic, but then you’ll probably never reach the sky / your own limits with only setting yourself ultra realistic goals easy to reach.

I guess a lot of people were laughing about Katharina Witt, when she announced her willingness to compete at 1994 OG, people possibly might have laughed about Paul Wylie if he announced that he is aiming to win a Olympic medal in 1992 a couple of years prior to that.

I too don’t think she has big chances to make the OG, but if she wants to try – let her do so in peace. Cause I think it’s one thing to discuss her low chances to make team and another one to personally insult her for this decision in a way like some people do.

vCash
    I guess a lot of people were laughing about Katharina Witt, when she announced her willingness to compete at 1994 OG, people possibly might have laughed about Paul Wylie if he announced that he is aiming to win a Olympic medal in 1992 a couple of years prior to that.
    The fact you find those reasonable comparisions is already enough reason to laugh outloud and immediately stop reading the rest of your post. PS- Witt was always atleast 75% likely to make the German Olympic team in 1994.

vCash
    The fact you find those reasonable comparisions is already enough reason to laugh outloud and immediately stop reading the rest of your post. PS- Witt was always atleast 75% likely to make the German Olympic team in 1994.
    Read it or not – I think your argument is pretty questionable, cause the reason of Witt’s higher chances to make the team was not having competed in top shape here and then at local amateur competitions over the years but having less fierce competitions at Nationals in her own country. So a skater, facing strong competition is less entitled to keep on competing?

It’s not like Fumie is harming anyone with not quitting, except maybe herself (her body certainly will take its toll). Makes me really wonder why quite a few people seem to have a personal problem with it.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I was thinking the same thing, too. If Witt roared back into 93/94 stating her goal was to win the Olympics, I'd have thought she was bonkers too. No, she intelligently thought through it, knew that really only needed to beat either Szwewczenko or Kiellmann for a spot. Fumie has too many obstacles.

So whatever, fine, let Fumie continue to deplete the family funds (clearly the college fund evaporated) if it gives her enjoyment. I'm not personally affected one way or the other. Just was giving my opinion on someone who hasn't given up the ghost it seems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yukky View Post
    well..

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/new...OYT1T00722.htm
    some Fumie related news.

Daimaru Department Store will sell 25 lucky grab bag "photo session with Fuimie"
    ( I wonder if this is including skating lesson) for 10000 yen( Over $100)

Do you buy one?
    Wow, so expensive!! I like to get lucky grab bags during NY (when I'm in Japan) ... but, as much as I like Fumie, I wouldn't want to spend 10,000 yen on a photo session with her. A lesson from her, maybe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, too. If Witt roared back into 93/94 stating her goal was to win the Olympics, I'd have thought she was bonkers too. No, she intelligently thought through it, knew that really only needed to beat either Szwewczenko or Kiellmann for a spot.
    Simone Lang and Evelyn Grossmann both competed at German Nationals in 1994, as well. Evelyn never quite got back to her early 90's European Champ form and Simone didn't handle the pressure very well, but there was no way Katarina could have known that for a fact before she competed at Nationals. Making the 3-people team for Europeans that year to contend for two Olympic spots was not a foregone conclusion. Witt had to show up and perform well -which she'd been doing her whole career. However, I still think you're doing the German ladies at the time a disservice by limiting the contenders to just 3 skaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyGH1otirbM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF0J5lyqKvM

ETA: didn't Simone Koch make a come back, as well? Not sure if it was in 1994, or a little later.

vCash
    Read it or not – I think your argument is pretty questionable, cause the reason of Witt’s higher chances to make the team was not having competed in top shape here and then at local amateur competitions over the years but having less fierce competitions at Nationals in her own country. So a skater, facing strong competition is less entitled to keep on competing?
    Fumie isnt even a National level skater anymore, she is a Regional level skater who cant do triples and scores in 4s in components in Regional competition. It is one thing to talk about being a real long shot to make a team, it is another when you arent even a skater could enough to compete at a National level event anymore. Suguri is a Masters type skater now, and if she wants to compete that badly, that is what she should be doing, just like the great Midori Ito now is, not bankrupting herself to keep competing as an elite in her 30s and talking about the Olympics when she cant even qualify for Nationals anymore.

Your point on Witt is incredibly stupid. Witt was far more competitive period in 1994 than Suguri is now. Witt was 7th at the Olympics, if you plunk Fumie in a Worlds right now somehow my guess if she would probably finish about 40th considering she cant even make it out of Regional level events and that 2 years ago she was finishing almost dead last on the grand prixs she did, and presumably has declined alot more since then. The only realistic way she could hope to make a Worlds again is to acquire citizenship in some obscure country with no skaters at all (even ones with a very weak international skater would beat her out for the lone spot) somehow. Witt also did not sacrifice alot of her time and energy to keep competing amateur, she simply came back for 6 months to make a weak German Olympic team, compete at a final Olympics, then go back to pro competition.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 12-30-2012 at 04:34 PM.

vCash
    Your point on Witt is incredibly stupid. Witt was far more competitive period in 1994 than Suguri is now. Witt was 7th at the Olympics, if you plunk Fumie in a Worlds right now somehow my guess if she would probably finish dead last considering she cant even make it out of Regional level events and that 2 years ago she was finishing almost dead last on the grand prixs she did, and presumably has declined alot more since then. Witt also did not sacrifice alot of her time and energy to keep competing amateur, she simply came back for 6 months to make a weak German Olympic team, compete at a final Olympics, then go back to pro competition.
    weak? szewczenko finished 6th, witt 7th. nothing weak about that (the german fed would be amazed by such results now.)
    witt gained her spot, leaving marina kielmann at home who was the current european bronze medalist (medalled the years before too) and came in fourth at worlds'94. not to mention szewczenkos bronze 94.
    so witt obviously faced competition in germany (despite she surely had profit in her b-note)

suguri skates today at the silvester-gala in oberstdorf. i'll try to watch (although i'm not a fan of exhbition shows) but i will try to report what she's doing).

funny btw. I've been watching ski jumping right now. martin schmitt of germany is still alive, he is like suguri, so if he manages to crack in top30, who knows, maybe suguri will bounce back

vCash
    Well I mean weak relative to what they were used to in previous years. The German ladies were definitely not the powerhouse they had been accustomed to in the 80s. They had several good skaters, even an again Witt whom was one of, but no possible medal contenders for Lillehammer (I know Szewcenko medaled at the post Olympic Worlds but that was a much weaker field).

vCash
    Well I mean weak relative to what they were used to in previous years. The German ladies were definitely not the powerhouse they had been accustomed to in the 80s. They had several good skaters, even an again Witt whom was one of, but no possible medal contenders for Lillehammer (I know Szewcenko medaled at the post Olympic Worlds but that was a much weaker field).
    I agree their results were on a downward slide compared to the 80's, but they were actually improving compared to their early 90's outings, when Kielmann and Neske were finishing in the bottom top 10 at Worlds -and sometimes not even that. And, having Witt back brought a new level of media attention to the team that wouldn't have been there otherwise. I think Katarzyna's comparison was more about pointing out Witt knew she no longer was a medal contender, but she still came back and competed even when she knew her results wouldn't measure up to her gold medals in the 80's.

Granted, Suguri isn't even likely to compete internationally for Japan now, but she's no longer training in Russia, seems to have have found some sponsors, and still enjoys competing for the sake of it. Sure, she brings up the Olympics in interviews, but how is that so much different than other skaters bringing up potential comebacks once the Olympics get close? We've been dissecting her career for a good 12-pages here, so if she's going for 'any publicity is good publicity' I'd say this is mission accomplished.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The skaters who've been talking about comebacks are/have been at a much higher level in their own countries and have a reasonable shot to make their National teams. Witt might have faced formidable competition in her own country, and people may have doubted her, but, for most, there were few recent results that showed how unlikely the goal of making the Olympic team would have been for her, and, of course, had pros not been allowed back in, it would have been a non-starter for Witt. (There were many comments about how she would tarnish her prior Olympic history, and how unfair it was to come back as a pro, but her stated goal was to allow her parents to see her skate at an Olympics live, which they hadn't been able to do either time she won.) We're not talking about a half-dozen competitors for Suguri, where if the stars aligned, with a couple of injuries and/or meltdowns the podium is within reach, like with Zayak: we're talking about not being close to getting out of regionals. I don't think people would think Miki Ando is delusional for coming back for the Olympic season, especially since the Japanese Fed seems to consider Suzuki expendable.

Has the Japanese Fed come up with selection criteria for the Olympic team? Suguri has no recent results outside her Nationals attempts.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The skaters who've been talking about comebacks are/have been at a much higher level in their own countries and have a reasonable shot to make their National teams.
    Should they choose to come back in earnest, I completely agree. I just think skaters sometimes say things like 'oh, I'm considering a comeback for the Olympic season' when there's no real intention to do so. Or the intention is there, but once the daily training grind kicks in, the motivation goes away, or old injuries take over. I was just pointing out Fumie might be fully aware she doesn't have a realistic chance of making the Olympics, but by talking about it, she feels this is one way to generate publicity for herself. Not sure why or what the end goal would be.

ETA: No idea about the Olympic criteria, but for the past few years most spots were determined based on Nationals, and only one (if any) based on things like highest finisher at the GPF, or whatever might be the case. It looks like they learned their lesson from 2006.
    Last edited by ioana; 12-30-2012 at 05:55 PM.

vCash
    Just curious: Has Suguri repeatedly been quoted on the record about hoping to make another Olympic team? Or is what she said in the brief Japanese article linked in the first post of this thread (what did she say in it exactly?) merely being overblown by some?

Suguri placed 5th at Toyko Regionals and made it to Eastern Sectionals where she placed 11th (top 10 advanced to Nationals), missing 10th place by 0.5 points. It is clear from the detailed protocols that she is no longer competitive with the elite ladies in Japan, but she almost qualified for Nationals this year!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-30-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast