Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Oh dear ... It's gonna be touch and go I guess whether she makes it through regionals?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I don't know where Fumie's monetary support comes from. I would agree with the sentiment that nobody else gets a say in how long she keeps skating as long as she is supporting herself or as long as her parents are willing and able to keep paying her bills. If, OTOH, those expenses are causing a strain on her parents or if they no longer want to keep paying for her skating, then IMO she is being selfish to continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Absolute Skating's interview with Fumie Suguri at the beginning of July that was published on August 14, 2013: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...013fumiesuguri
    Per this article from August 2013, she is on the payroll of a company as their skating team. Her job is literally to train.

I heard you changed your affiliation to the Kappa team through Phoenix sportswear.

Yes. I’m satisfied with my practice environment this year and very thankful about it.

Note: Fumie joined Phoenix as a worker. Phoenix then set up the Kappa figure skating team for her and she is the first team member. This is a popular way in Japan; amateur athletes join a company and also its sports team. Some work as company workers and play sports but others just play sports. They get paid from the company and the company supports the athletes in every way.
    I do not know anybody who would turn down an opportunity like that, even if retirement from anything is inevitable.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 10-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    She had a short program at Tokyo Regional competition yesterday and finished 7th with 39.23.
    2F step out, 3T fall, 2A. Unknown about the rotations and other elements.
    I will update the score details whenever the protocols are up.
    She had a free program today and marked 76.33, finishing 6th overall with 115.56. There were a few skaters who were exempted from doing this game so her place would have been lower with them. I dought she will finish top 6 at East Japan Sectional to qualify for Nationals.

vCash
    Thank you. Would be interested in knowing what she landed.

Sounds from the jump content of the short programme that she really still wants to remain competitive (flips and toe loops) but is physically unable to do the jumps any more ...

vCash
    Fumie Suguri is Zelda Fitzgerald?!? Most randomly mad comparison evah!

What a great concept for her 2014-2015 LP!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    I simply do not understand her career at all at this point. Is she independently wealthy as to afford a life of following delusional dreams of grandeur in a manner similar to Zelda Fitzgerald? We know what happened to Zelda, dying in the insane asylum fire after being committed following multiple failed attempts to be a prima ballerina in her 30's.
    Does likening Fumie to Zelda Fitzgerald constitute an official nomination for Gay Icon of the Year?

... this is Fumie's proverbial year to make her own costume, put on a tiara, and skate to Moon River.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 10-07-2013 at 04:17 AM.

vCash
    The protocols are up now and this is her elements details.
    I don't think this is what her sponsor and parents should pay for.

Short
    3F<<+COMBO
    3T<<
    LSp1
    2A
    StSq2
    FCSp3
    CCoSp3

Free
    3Lz<+2T e
    3F<<
    3T<<
    FCoSp4
    CCSp2
    2Lz e
    2F+2T+1Lo
    2S
    1A
    StSq2
    ChSq1
    CCoSp3

http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2...ock3/index.htm

vCash
    Something's very wrong when she has the highest PCS and still places only 6th in a field of girls who only have 3T, 3S, and MAYBE a 3Lo.

vCash
    dear oh dear I thought it would be a "safe bet" that she would proceed smoothly to nationals, by going back to arguably her best programme of all time (Moonlight Sonata) ... but she has not been able to land one single triple cleanly in this entire competition and she could only manage one clean double axel in the short programme ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Do you always listen to what other people tell you to do?
    So do you still think she should not listen to her parents with this kind of result?
    I would agree with you if she didn't use their money to keep competing.
    It's normal for everyone that they lose physical abilities as they get older.
    If you want to maintain them, you have to work really hard.
    But to look at her posts on Twitter or her blog, she looks like she's just playing around.
    She thinks it is because the financial problem that she doesn't do well, but it really isn't.

vCash
    Is phoenix not paying for everything? Are her parents involved anymore? She has a job and it is to skate and it is paid by Phoenix and she qualified for the next step.

vCash
    Does she have a sponsor (company and/or lover) to maintain her hobby? If so, she wouldn't be the first or last person to benefit from the deep pockets of an admirer. If it makes her happy, so be it.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I know her sister Chika advised her about retiring from the competitions but I've never read any articles saying that her parents "told" her to quit. Is it really?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I know her sister Chika advised her about retiring from the competitions but I've never read any articles saying that her parents "told" her to quit. Is it really?
    Here is the proof, if you can read it.

http://ameblo.jp/fumie-suguri/image-...702957203.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Does likening Fumie to Zelda Fitzgerald constitute an official nomination for Gay Icon of the Year?

[/URL]
    Unfortunately, this is a super tough year for Gay Icon too. She'd have about as much chance of beating Ashley Wagner for Gay Icon as she would beating Yu Na Kim in a competition.

vCash

Can't see the date of the article

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Unfortunately, this is a super tough year for Gay Icon too. She'd have about as much chance of beating Ashley Wagner for Gay Icon as she would beating Yu Na Kim in a competition.
    But Fumie has the "still trying for an Olympic medal after finishing just off the podium twice after arguably skating better than higher finishers" thing going for her. Ashley really needs a 2nd Olympic berth to compete.

vCash
    Yes, but Ashley spoke out eloquently against the Olympic host's repressive regime on gay equality and looked really fierce and gorgeous while doing it. Gay Icon has less to do with what you put out on the ice.

vCash
    So do you still think she should not listen to her parents with this kind of result?
    I would agree with you if she didn't use their money to keep competing.
    It's normal for everyone that they lose physical abilities as they get older.
    If you want to maintain them, you have to work really hard.
    But to look at her posts on Twitter or her blog, she looks like she's just playing around.
    She thinks it is because the financial problem that she doesn't do well, but it really isn't.
    I think for some reason, since the beginning of this thread, you have been taking Fumie Suguri's continuing to skate very personally. For whatever reason, you've been pouncing on her every chance you can get.

Do I personally believe Fumie is making the most out of her time? Probably not. But it's her life, and I think continuing to harp on what she's doing or complaining about it on this forum more than a hundred times won't do anything. Griping and criticizing once in a while is natural, but you act like you have something at stake here.

Also, let's say her parents are funding Fumie (though it looks like she has a sponsorship), rather than feel sorry for them, maybe we should have asked why is it they are continuing to fund her? It's not as if they're helpless victims in all of this. To say that they are is really looking down upon their abilities as parents (of an adult child) and as competent people who need to think about their own financial future.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash

Thank you for the link but it's shame the photo is too small and low quality to read even though I change the size of it.

I've had somewhat difficulties to understand her. Maybe she is so unique that ordinal people(even native Japanese speakers or people who are in Japanese cultural stream) can't/don't understand why she wants to keep participating in the competitions. It's ok to comment on her but it's no use to repeat the same thing 100 times since FSU users can't/don't force her to quit. Let her live her life.
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-08-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast