Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll

66 36.87%

107 59.78%
  • Other

6 3.35%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Olympic Ladies Competition - 1998 or 2010?

Which ladies Olympic event do you consider superior: 1998 or 2010? 1998 saw the top two ladies skate cleanly in both phases and gave us Lu Chen's emotional skate. Yet 2010 gave us Yuna Kim's perfect programs, and even though Mao wasn't clean, she still made history with her triple axels. Then you had Rochette providing the emotional factor with her two skates and Mira's two perfect performances, as well. I honestly can't decide which Olympics was superior, but I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick 1998 since Lipinski and Kwan both lived up to the hype of their showdown.

vCash
    I would choose 2010. Even the top 2 are about a wash or even in favor of 2010. Yu Na in 2010 was better than either Tara or Michelle in 98. Mao was arguably slightly worse only due to her 2 mistakes, but her performance was still a historic one in Olympic history due to the 3 clean triple axels. The huge difference though is the remainder of the field. The skaters from 3rd downards were far superior to anyone at the 98 Olympics. The depth of the field was in another planet. I would put 2002 (even with the dissapointing skates of Slutskaya and Kwan), 1980, 1988, maybe even 1994, overall above 1998 too. The only thing 1998 would be near the top in is best battle for the gold between two excellent skates, but for the overall event no.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 01-07-2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: typed Tara twice by accident

vCash
    1998, because both Michelle and Tara skated lights out and clean, and IIRC, it was closer than between Mao and Yu-Na. I almost voted for 2010 because I think Rochette was a bit better than Chen, but the showdown between T & M, especially with both being from the United States, is still so positively memorable to me years later.

vCash
    1998 had the most memorable ladies event in recent history. Michelle and Lu Chen had wonderful programs that are now considered classics. And the competition between Michelle and Tara was super exciting. No one can forget Tara's reaction after she learned that she won the OGM.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Honestly I can't compare. Yu-na while technically perfect was not exciting at all. I was more excited with Joannie's and Mirai's skates. Tara although I was not the biggest fan gave a thrilling performance 1998 looking back. I hope 2014 is so much better excitement wise. 2006 and 2010 OGM skates were rather ho hum to me, the rest of the skaters is what made the competition fun to watch.
    Last edited by Jarrett; 01-07-2014 at 06:19 AM.

vCash
    2010 was great, but as someone above said, Yu-Na's skate wasn't that exciting for me; she was clean and technically sound in the jumps, but everything else for me wasn't just adequate. Even after she is done, the reaction kind of says it all. Tara's win was historic and even the kiss and cry scream still excites me! Michelle was wonderful and lived up to the hype, while Mao messed up two out the three final jumping passes. Both Joannie and Lu Chen were emotionally charged bronze medals for opposite reasons. I think 2010 was probably a cleaner competition, technically, but 1998 was more emotionally satisfying for me.

vCash
    2010 had a better overall competition, but I think Kwan-Lipinski is the best rivalry of all-time and that competition had so much more magic and emotion in it. I remember crying when I saw Lipinski won over Kwan I freaking hated her and had no reason to, she was very good and the performances she and MK gave were in another class in terms of presence, quality, and spark. I also loved everything about Nagano from the rink to the medals, it's my favorite Olympics. Agree Lulu's bronze was just as emotional as Joannie's for diff reasons, but 2010 had a better group overall and it also had Mirai. 98 also had a backflip by Surya. Anything with Kwan in it gets my vote

vCash
    1998 was more exciting to me. Perhaps 2002 was better skated, but 98 is one I'll always remember.

vCash
    2010 was better skated (I guess) overall, but it was utterly predictable. 1998 actually had skaters who were battling for gold and bronze.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    2010 was better skated (I guess) overall, but it was utterly predictable. 1998 actually had skaters who were battling for gold and bronze.
    This is true. Even after the excitement of Taras apparent victory, you had tension right down to the end with Marias subpar performance, and whether or not it would be enough to keep her 3rd over Lu, or maybe even Irina jumping to 3rd on an ordinal flip.

vCash
    For me, it's 1998. The top 6 skated very very well, the one after the other. It was a fantastic competition, with 2 perfect performances, and very good or emotional performances after that.
    Of course, I can't forget Yu Na Kim and Joannie Rochette in 2010. But 1998 was the 1st one, good memories.

vCash
    Definitely 1998 it was a very exciting competition with Tara and Michelle especially since they both skated so well. 2010 was so boring and very predictable! I just hope that the Olympics this year won't be predictable!

vCash
    1998 for the gold competition, but 2010 for the overall depth of field. The 1998 field was not that deep, save the battle for gold.

vCash
    Loved1998. Michelle was the annoited one. Tara enjoyed everything the Olympic experience can be. She brought all of that spirit, joy, and one in a lifetime out on the ice with her that night and gave us all an old memory to treasure. To perform as Tara did on that stage on that night is Olympic. Joanne Rochester was another truly Olympic moment. A time where your passion. Your training ad discipline and love of sport can collase to make you better than you ever dreamed.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Michelle Vs Tara was an epic battle and their programs were actually more well balanced than the prescribed "well balanced" programs of 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Michelle Vs Tara was an epic battle and their programs were actually more well balanced than the prescribed "well balanced" programs of 2010.
    Amen to that!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I voted 1998 (thought for drama, I think 94 probably was the winner). To me, the 2010 ladies event was kind of anticlimactic and dull. I was not wowed or moved by any of the performances. Kim was a machine ticking off the elements, the rest of the podium did not even have clean skates, so all in all, it was just disappointing.

vCash
    Definitely 1998. It was a very close competition between the top 2, and a close one between 3 & 4. There was no drama in 2010. Yu na was going to win, and the judges made sure that after the SP nobody could come even close to her. It made the LP less interesting to me. Joannie's courageous skate was one positive about the 2010 competition, but it cannot be compared with anything else. As far as competition goes, the drama of Tara beating Michelle, and Michelle showing so much class, was very memorable.

vCash
    1998! I still remember the CBS shot of Danny Kwan in the stand after Tara had skated. He definitely knew right then that Michelle's gold medal chance was questionable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I voted 1998 (thought for drama, I think 94 probably was the winner). To me, the 2010 ladies event was kind of anticlimactic and dull. I was not wowed or moved by any of the performances. Kim was a machine ticking off the elements, the rest of the podium did not even have clean skates, so all in all, it was just disappointing.
    I prefer "a machine ticking off the elements" performance from Kim over any performance of any other skater mentioned here. Kim's 2010 Vancouver Gershwin is not only one of the most technically brilliant programs, but also one of the most artistic. I hate to say it, but it seems that what is generally perceived as "artistic" at least in figure skating really is different between cultures - especially between East and West.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast