Thread: Plushenko

vCash
    Great cast.... I hope we end up seeing some vids

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Stéphane Lambiel's tribute to Evgeni, "Caruso":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KX8pQ3R8QI
    That was really thoughtful. And very subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by anna1506 View Post
    And.. Stockholm Ice "Caruso" Plushenko
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRbo0cuZ7H4
    I love, love, love, love this program for Plushy.

It's interesting to see two of the all-time greats contrasted in this way, especially since Stephane is a much quieter skater while Plushenko immediately commands attention. And I have to say that seeing the two programs back to back made me appreciate Plushenko all the more.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Do you think, there are people who don't knows Evgeni's style, only just Stephan's?
    I don't think so, I know it. There are, for instance, fans of Stephane who don't like Evgeni's style in general, so they haven't bothered to watch most of his performances. Nothing surprising, since they are so different. Of course, it's possible to appreciate both, but, unfortunately, many people don't think that way. This is from me as a great fan of Stephane who also happens to respect Evgeni. But, I must say that I too haven't seen as many performances of Evgeni, as I have seen of Stephane .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    That was really thoughtful. And very subtle.

I love, love, love, love this program for Plushy.

It's interesting to see two of the all-time greats contrasted in this way, especially since Stephane is a much quieter skater while Plushenko immediately commands attention. And I have to say that seeing the two programs back to back made me appreciate Plushenko all the more.
    "Appreciate" as in comparison to Stephane? But you forget that for Evgeni that was a "real" program, while for Stephane it's practically a trifle most likely done in a quite short time as an nice tribute to Evgeni, not a "real" program of his. If Stephane had done his "own" program to this song, it would surely look very different from this. So, it can't be comapared in that sense. Also, about "quietness" and "commanding attention" - for Stephane, that depends on the program. Sometimes his skating is quieter, and sometimes it's not so quiet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Stéphane Lambiel's tribute to Evgeni, "Caruso":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KX8pQ3R8QI

Hilarious. One of the finest skating jokes I've ever seen.
    LOL, the Lambiel parts of the program were beautiful, the fake angsty Plushenko parts, not so much. But I did like the Nijinski spin!

And this is the first time I've seen Stephane Lambiel called quiet!
    Last edited by shine; 11-08-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    "Appreciate" as in comparison to Stephane? But you forget that for Evgeni that was a "real" program, while for Stephane it's practically a trifle most likely done in a quite short time as an nice tribute to Evgeni, not a "real" program of his. If Stephane had done his "own" program to this song, it would surely look very different from this.
    Not in comparison to Stephane because he is his own skater with, as you noted, a very different style. What I meant is that, for me, seeing a great skater like Stephane pay homage to Plushenko (ironically or perhaps purposefully in a style similar to Plushenko's homage to Nijinsky) really highlighted how unique Plushenko's movement is. I know some people criticize Plushy for being "frantic," but his sharp, angular style is not easy to execute and is uniquely his. And seeing first whispers of Plushy in Lambiel's program, and then Plushy himself, very much emphasized that uniqueness for me.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I don't think so, I know it. There are, for instance, fans of Stephane who don't like Evgeni's style in general, so they haven't bothered to watch most of his performances. Nothing surprising, since they are so different. Of course, it's possible to appreciate both, but, unfortunately, many people don't think that way. This is from me as a great fan of Stephane who also happens to respect Evgeni. But, I must say that I too haven't seen as many performances of Evgeni, as I have seen of Stephane .
    I didn't say, that everybody likes Evgen's style, I said if anybody knows the figure skating, knows his skating, and his name. He is the figure skating in Europe. And you don't forget they really respect, and like each other. If you think, Stephan is more known and beloved skater in real life you are wrong.
    Last edited by lala; 11-09-2012 at 06:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Not in comparison to Stephane because he is his own skater with, as you noted, a very different style. What I meant is that, for me, seeing a great skater like Stephane pay homage to Plushenko (ironically or perhaps purposefully in a style similar to Plushenko's homage to Nijinsky) really highlighted how unique Plushenko's movement is. I know some people criticize Plushy for being "frantic," but his sharp, angular style is not easy to execute and is uniquely his. And seeing first whispers of Plushy in Lambiel's program, and then Plushy himself, very much emphasized that uniqueness for me.
    I think it's better performance of Caruso in Prague

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQyvjupC2U and two 3A
    Last edited by lala; 11-08-2012 at 04:22 PM.

vCash
    the members of Japanese fan tours to St. Petersbourg :

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20121107/629097297.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yaya124 View Post
    I think Lambiel is meant to do a number as a "tribute to Evgeni", not try to make fun of these movements as you suggested.
    Yes,I felt Stephane did exactly "Tribute to Plushenko" too! I am a bit sorry if someone try to make Stephane as a sarcastic man (but, sorry if I misunderstand. I'm not good at English) I want to believe Stephane is nice as a skater and a person, and he is a good co-worker of Evgeni

vCash
    Last edited by lala; 11-08-2012 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    LoL, Lambiel was invited to an ice show and a birthday party, and he has the good mannerism to act as a good guest and pay tribute to his host and friend. Not like some party pooper seeking attention,
    Last edited by GoGreen; 11-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier cat View Post
    Yes,I felt Stephane did exactly "Tribute to Plushenko" too! I am a bit sorry if someone try to make Stephane as a sarcastic man (but, sorry if I misunderstand. I'm not good at English) I want to believe Stephane is nice as a skater and a person, and he is a good co-worker of Evgeni
    Steph likes Evgeni, it was Tribute to Plushenko

Plush and Stef,lovely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1p5rYBsA0I
    Last edited by lala; 11-08-2012 at 04:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    I didn't say, that everybody likes Evgen's style, I said if anybody knows the figure skating, knows his skating, and his name. He is the figure skating in Europe. And you don't forget they really respect, and like each other. If you think, Stephan is more known and loved skater in real life you are wrong.
    And I didn't say that they don't know Evgeni's skating (and even more - his name) at all. I was implying that there are people who are not THAT familiar with his style, meaning that they haven't seen that many of his programs, and probably the last time they saw one was some time ago, so they may not remember and/or notice all his moves in Stephane's program right away. And I never said that I think that Stephane is a more known and loved skater than Evgeni - I don't know where you did get that. I just said that there are people who don't watch Evgeni's performances as much as they watch Stephane. There is a difference between respecting someone and liking their skating - if someone respects Plushenko, but doesn't like his style that much (and I know for sure that there are such people, no matter if you like it, or not), then they don't watch and don't know most of his performances.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier cat View Post
    I don't think that someone is trying to make Stephane sarcastic. And he surely is not sarcastic. But there is a huge difference between sarcasm, and subtle, well-meant and friendly fun making. Yes, Stephane did a tribute to Evgeni, and I think he truly wanted to show respect to him, but at the same time some of the gestures, like the small "air" kisses were most likely meant to be in good fun - but so that only Evgeni himself, and those who know his syle really well, would get it. But some people seem to not understand that fun making can also be friendly and well-meant. For them it's either this, or that, and no in-betweens .
    Last edited by lauravvv; 11-08-2012 at 10:42 PM.

vCash
    And I didn't say that they don't know Evgeni's skating (and even more - his name) at all. I was implying that there are people who are not THAT familiar with his style, meaning that they haven't seen that many of his programs, and probably the last time they saw one was some time ago, so they may not remember and/or notice all his moves in Stephane's program right away. And I never said that I think that Stephane is a more known and loved skater than Evgeni - I don't know where you did get that. I just said that there are people who don't watch Evgeni's performances as much as they watch Stephane. There is a difference between respecting someone and liking their skating - if someone respects Plushenko, but doesn't like his style that much (and I know for sure that there are such people, no matter if you like it, or not), then they don't watch and don't know most of his performances.
    Ok, we talked everything in this matter

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There are many, especially people who hate watching skating on the Internet and only watch skating on TV channels that rarely show EX skating, and/or who aren't interested in show programs, who would't have remembered the references, necessarily, although they might have wondered why Lambiel was doing a spiral.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    There are many, especially people who hate watching skating on the Internet and only watch skating on TV channels that rarely show EX skating, and/or who aren't interested in show programs, who would't have remembered the references, necessarily, although they might have wondered why Lambiel was doing a spiral.
    Also true. But, as for the spiral - those who haven't seen Stephane's exhibition programs may wonder, but actually he's done quite a few spirals in them, just not this half-bielmann style spiral. And the moves that he makes in the beginning are really from Evgeni's 'Tribute to Nijinsky' program, if I remember correctly, and I think that program has been shown on TV, just not so recently .

vCash
    Of course, he won his 3th world champion title with Nijinsky program. One of the most beautiful male programs ever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkhn4KbisJc

that moves from 2.15

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast