Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Canadian Drugstore Chain Turns off Christmas Music in November after Complaints

You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    "I think this is appalling! I shop at SDM all of the time and am now reconsidering doing so. Christmas should not be swept aside by anyone I am tired of Christmas being pushed aside as not politically correct. How can a Canadian company like SDM cave so easily? Shame on you!"
    There's always some idiot who hasnt a clue what's going on, but has the biggest mouth.

vCash
    After reading the article, I have to agree with those who feel we should give Remembrance Day our full attention before getting into the swing of Christmas. I for one, love Christmas music and generally don't tire of it too quicky, but 12 fewer days isn't going to hurt anyone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilou View Post
    After reading the article, I have to agree with those who feel we should give Remembrance Day our full attention before getting into the swing of Christmas. I for one, love Christmas music and generally don't tire of it too quicky, but 12 fewer days isn't going to hurt anyone
    I totally agree with you on the Remembrance Day importance, and I also think that most retailers begin too early to play Christmas music. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas music especially the traditional pieces.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I'm all for it. Can that apply to Santas too? I saw my first 'tribe' of Santa on Sept 25th...

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Maybe Americans need to TV and radio stations about political ads that happen a month before an election? (Wishful thinking, I know, to think they'd turn down the revenue.)
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Maybe Americans need to TV and radio stations about political ads that happen a month before an election? (Wishful thinking, I know, to think they'd turn down the revenue.)
    In the NY/NJ area, the political ads started midsummer!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilou View Post
    I adore Christmas music and try to play it here in my room as early as I can. However, the rule is not until Nov 13. That way we give Remembrance Day the respect it deserves, and in this house w/our Family history of service, I'd be kicked from here to Victoria and back again for showing any form of disrespect to Veterans/Remembrance Day. However, Mom's Birthday is November 12th, so she has a chance to enjoy her day w/out Christmas music playing.

November 13th though...The way I put it is it's such gorgeous music, it should be heard, but I do agree that from now until Nov 12th in the stores is too early.

vCash
    I was happy about the decision. Every store seems to jump on the Christmas thing too early. When I was younger they used to wait until after Remembrance Day and they strayed away from that. It's gotten worse every year.

I think after Nov.11th is perfect. I love Christmas music and the festivities, but only after Remembrance Day is observed and proper respect is given.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Whenever I'm stuck in a restaurant or mall and am forced to listen to Christmas music, all I can think is "for Christ's sake!!!"
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I realized today for the first time why Christmas creep is somewhat important. We have never had a house big enough for a tree, but we do now. We would really like to decorate for Christmas, and plan to do so the day after Thanksgiving. If no one sells Christmas stuff before then- how can we get decorations to put up the day after thanksgiving?

That said, I think it is too early for music.

vCash
    Way too early for Christmas music! I love it, but I don't think we need it much before the end of November!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Good! Who cares about the customers - protect your staff from going completely insane!

Working in retail is horrible enough at this time of year. Doing it while having terrible renditions of Christmas carols assaulting your ears for hours a day is enough to drive anyone around the bend!

I am so grateful to our store for the way they do it. Our Christmas CD that we start playing on December 1 is a mix; one carol/Christmas song for every five or so regular songs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I realized today for the first time why Christmas creep is somewhat important. We have never had a house big enough for a tree, but we do now. We would really like to decorate for Christmas, and plan to do so the day after Thanksgiving. If no one sells Christmas stuff before then- how can we get decorations to put up the day after thanksgiving?
    You could make stuff yourselves. You don't have to give in to the Christmas-industrial complex
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Good! Who cares about the customers - protect your staff from going completely insane!

Working in retail is horrible enough at this time of year. Doing it while having terrible renditions of Christmas carols assaulting your ears for hours a day is enough to drive anyone around the bend!

I am so grateful to our store for the way they do it. Our Christmas CD that we start playing on December 1 is a mix; one carol/Christmas song for every five or so regular songs.
    Thank you!

Having Christmas music and decor way too early not only makes drags out the season, but it's just a ploy by retailers to exploit people's purchasing power. We know retailers need to make money the best way possible, but they shouldn't be surprised when there's a backlash after it goes too far.

vCash
    Ikea here started in October, with music and products! And this is a country that doesn't actual recognise Christmas!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    You could make stuff yourselves. You don't have to give in to the Christmas-industrial complex
    Not everybody likes to make their own decorations...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I've made many of my decorations- I enjoy sewing. But can you explain how to make a Christmas tree (I'm allergic to real ones) and lights?

I've been married 8 years without a Christmas tree, it is perfectly possible to enjoy Christmas without it, but I'd really like one now that I have room. I don't think that is giving in to the industrial complex. Christmas trees have been around for way longer than horrible retail sales.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Whenever I'm stuck in a restaurant or mall and am forced to listen to Christmas music, all I can think is "for Christ's sake!!!"
    <snort>

Waiting for the "they're trying to take Christmas away from us and rob us of our Judeo-Christian heritage" protests. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post

Having Christmas music and decor way too early not only makes drags out the season, but it's just a ploy by retailers to exploit people's purchasing power. We know retailers need to make money the best way possible, but they shouldn't be surprised when there's a backlash after it goes too far.
    And what, in your opinion, is the appropriate date to put up Christmas decorations, play holiday music and display holiday products?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast