Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    I think Christmas and "Holiday" music should not begin until after Thanksgiving. (I'm in the US.) No Christmas TV shows until Dec 1. I do wish our oldies radio stations would keep their special programs (Lost 45's, Beatles brunch, AT40:the 70's, whatever) on during this period and just play the Christmas records when the regular record mix is on the rest of the year.
    Gosh, I just replied practically the same thing and then read your post!!!!!! Are we sisters?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Personally, I think the decorations etc. should be available year round -- sometimes I just need to buy some tinsel in April.
    Funny, 20 years ago, I bought some silver garland (Christmas display) at a discount store the day before Halloween to put on the angel wings of my costume!!!

vCash
    Once I needed tinsel for a set design concept project, to use in a model to represent what would probably need to be mylar streamers in the full-sized version on stage.

Other times I just needed to decorate a Christmas tree on stage for a show. Actually I anticipated the need and bought it on sale in January.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    And what, in your opinion, is the appropriate date to put up Christmas decorations, play holiday music and display holiday products?
    I'd say reasonably, a month more or less before Christmas. They can still put up Christmas items, etc. for people to buy before that, but the full-blown extravaganza should wait until it gets closer to the actual holiday. Whether or not one believes it should be longer than four weeks, I think the beginning of October (some places started doing their decor in late September) is way too early.

I think a month is a good period of time because the music and everything will be fresh and the timing makes it so that you know the holiday is coming just around the corner. Plus, retail workers, servers, etc. will only have to endure the endless and at-times obnoxious Christmas "spirit" for only a month.

vCash
    For me, the earlier and earlier stuff goes on sale and carols are heard everywhere, etc;, the less special the actual holiday is when it arrives. The older I get, the less and less I appreciate Christmas because it just becomes all about a naked grab for $$$ and nothing special about the actual day. Here in the US I am for nothing until after Thanksgiving.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I've made many of my decorations- I enjoy sewing. But can you explain how to make a Christmas tree (I'm allergic to real ones) and lights?
    You could always buy an artificial tree. There is a wide assortment of them in terms of height, wired-with-lights, no lights (you buy the light strings and put them on). When I moved to my apartment I started with a little 4-foot "Charlie Brown" tree, and then splurged the following year for a 6.5' tree that I've been using ever since.

I'm definitely strict on the not-until-after-Thanksgiving rule about decorating. I'll vacuum the living room Thanksgiving morning, go to dinner at the 'rents' house, and then come home and start in on it that same night! I always do the lights at night with the room lights off, so I can see exactly where I'm putting them.

vCash
    Geeze... Xmas music has been playing at the ice rink for weeks now. All the girls are excited about their routine at the Xmas show!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    I love it that Nordstrom doesn't put up their decorations until after US Thanksgiving. Every year they post a little sign like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_k_bgXPrPWx...mChristmas.jpg
    I wonder how they'll deal with that once they open their Canadian stores?
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I went to the Bay downtown this past weekend and their entire basement consists of Xmas merchandise. I don't mind it. I don't think Remembrance Day is being overshadowed--if anything, the day is enhanced. The colour red helps and usually the Xmas spirit makes people be in a more giving mood.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I went to the Bay downtown this past weekend and their entire basement consists of Xmas merchandise. I don't mind it. I don't think Remembrance Day is being overshadowed--if anything, the day is enhanced. The colour red helps and usually the Xmas spirit makes people be in a more giving mood.
    I hadn't thought of this before, but it does make sense.

I don't mind seeing Christmas items in stores around the beginning of November. I usually start my baking and shopping by mid-November so I'm not in a mad dash to get things done.
    At our house, Mr. Habs and I always decorate the house and the Christmas tree the first Saturday in December. The tree always comes down New Year's Day (unless we're hosting New Year's supper... then it comes down on Jan. 2).
    Last edited by Habs; 11-08-2012 at 05:44 PM.

vCash
    My tree has always gone up whatever weekend is closest to the 15th of Dec. and comes down a week after New Years.

Three weeks is enough IMO.

vCash
    I love Christmas and I collect ornaments so the displays are never too early to me. But I agree with the poster who hates to see the staff subjected to endless loops of Christmas tunes this early. I like "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" but if I was forced to listen to it all day long I'd want to shoot myself.
    Last edited by Cachoo; 11-08-2012 at 07:52 PM.

vCash
    I love Christmastime, and find it an effort not to decorate before November 15th. Christmas music starts up on my iPod as soon as November hits, but I don't subject others to it.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Andora I already have a small tree up in my bedroom with vintage ornaments and colorful lights. I am keeping Christmas out of the rest of the house until Thanksgiving but this little one reminds me of my grandmom and some very happy times in New Jersey. As for the stores: I love the festive feeling the decorations offer but I find a lot of music (not just Christmas songs) that the stores use grating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Andora I already have a small tree up in my bedroom with vintage ornaments and colorful lights. I am keeping Christmas out of the rest of the house until Thanksgiving but this little one reminds me of my grandmom and some very happy times in New Jersey. As for the stores: I love the festive feeling the decorations offer but I find a lot of music (not just Christmas songs) that the stores use grating.
    That's nice.

But I agree on the music. I like what *I* listen to, but there is a lot of Christmas music out there that I can't stand. I typically don't turn on a holiday radio station much anymore. I feel for retail workers. I hated the constant holiday music when I worked at a store.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    I try to have the house decorated at the start of advent which, for those unfamiliar with that, is the fourth sunday before Christmas day.

About a week ago I heard some talk on the radio asking people to respect November 11th and try to hold off on the decorations until after that date which I think is fair. One house nearby had it's Christmas lights up the moment Halloween was over. Personally think a good week after Halloween is needed to just sit back and pick through the loot your child gathered trick or treating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    I feel for retail workers. I hated the constant holiday music when I worked at a store.
    That synthesizer version of "Deck the Halls" can still cause my eye to twitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    My tree has always gone up whatever weekend is closest to the 15th of Dec. and comes down a week after New Years.

Three weeks is enough IMO.
    I actually think that putting up one's tree is a personal decision. I can understand the joy of setting one up, if you have not had that experience before. I know people who keep their trees up until February 1st because it adds joy to their lives during a drab winter month of January. For personal reasons I wait until after December 7th - it has nothing to do with an appropriate time period, just a personal one. There are many Christmas stores - they carry Christmas decorations year round and the name of the store reflects that.
    The cutesy music causes me to twitch - Grandma got run over a reindeer or santa kissing mommy, etc. I shop year round - love to find sales and better on my wallet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123