Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

How do you eat a pomegranate (and enjoy it)?

I have had a pomegranate tree in my backyard for many years. I have enjoyed the fruit for many years and often gave away some to family, friends and coworkers. Recently, a couple of my friends told me that they have never eaten a pomegranate, and they did not know how to eat it. So I gave them a 'sample' - one or two pomegranates- and told them how I eat it. Then the question came up- do you eat the seeds too?

I have never eaten the seeds; I squeeze out the juice in my mouth and throw away the seeds. Am I missing something? Someone posted on my facebook that the seeds are not only edible but they are sweet and tart. Anyone has experience with this?

Because of its hard skin, I normally cut the fruit into small pieces (about 1 to 1.5 inch), and then eat those, without the skin, and throw away the seeds after taking the juice out. More recently I started collecting all the pink/red inside of the fruit in a large plastic container. I refrigerate it and take out portions in smaller containers to take to work. I can eat them with a spoon without dirtying my hands. I like this way to enjoy the fruit better. Actually I can't stop eating it.

In the past, I have also squeezed out juice in a juicer, when I had such large quantities (and right now I do) that there was no way I could finish it. The juice is delicious and I am considering buying an inexpensive juicer.

Any recommendations on how to enjoy this delicious and healthy fruit?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i love it. i put the seeds in salads when i have them. i put the juice in my sangria. i make a lot of sangria.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I'm with you, Vash. I don't eat the seeds either, although when I told my Boyfriend that he looked at me like I had two heads. Apparently you're supposed to just crunch them and eat them, but I couldn't do it...

I'm jealous that you have a pomegranate tree! My grandparents' downstairs neighbor (they were in an apartment) had one when I was a kid and I was always so disappointed that we'd never get to visit them during harvest season, that whenever I was there they were always just hard green balls.

vCash
    I eat the seeds. I snack on them like any pieces of fruit or I sprinkle them on salad. I do find extracting the seeds to be too much work for relatively not too much seeds in return.

vCash
    Unless I'm drinking pomegranate juice, which should obviously be seedless, I eat the seeds too. I like the texture. But the key to enjoying a pomegranate is to get someone else to do the prep work - rather like with a pomelo

vCash
    what's the easiest way to de-seed a pomegranate?

vCash
    I do it like this but in a big bowl of water. http://localfoods.about.com/od/pomeg...omegranate.htm

The water helps keep it from getting red everywhere.

vCash
    I purchase just the seeds in small containers at the farmer's market. They last a long time in fridge. Eat with fish and chicken like a relish. Supposed to be a cancer fighter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Unless I'm drinking pomegranate juice, which should obviously be seedless, I eat the seeds too. I like the texture. But the key to enjoying a pomegranate is to get someone else to do the prep work - rather like with a pomelo

Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    I do it like this but in a big bowl of water. http://localfoods.about.com/od/pomeg...omegranate.htm

The water helps keep it from getting red everywhere.
    Interesting! Thanks for the tip. I cut them with a knife into smaller pieces, then remove the seeds by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I purchase just the seeds in small containers at the farmer's market. They last a long time in fridge. Eat with fish and chicken like a relish. Supposed to be a cancer fighter!
    I have not tried these, but my gut says a freshly picked fruit, cut at home, would be tastier. I do get tons of them off my tree, so why buy something outside?

vCash
    I love pomegranate and I have the seeds in salads.

vCash

How do you eat a pomegranate (and enjoy it)?

I don't eat the seeds - I find them too bitter to enjoy

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i love it. i put the seeds in salads when i have them. i put the juice in my sangria. i make a lot of sangria.
    We also use it in salads. I got an awesome Spinach salad that uses the seeds as a huge part of the recipe off of the Food Network's website last year. Considering we had a bunch of people here for Deer Season and this thing makes up a huge salad, it was perfect timing for something this big. There wasn't much of it left either. It's become a favourite here for when we have a huge gathering or when we're headed to a Potluck.

I know there's a copy of it in Mom's binder of recipes. I'll have to go looking for it if anyone's interested.

We also eat the seeds in various ways. On vanilla ice cream, mixed in Greek Yogurt, mixed in our Oatmeal. It's really good paired w/Peach Slices if you mix it w/your Oatmeal BTW.

We really love Pommies and can't wait for them to start showing up in the stores more now since it's getting close to Holiday Time.

vCash
    I take it none of you have seen this yet: how to seed a pomegranate in 30 seconds. No kidding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ7dk9nDR-k

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    We also use it in salads. I got an awesome Spinach salad that uses the seeds as a huge part of the recipe off of the Food Network's website last year. Considering we had a bunch of people here for Deer Season and this thing makes up a huge salad, it was perfect timing for something this big. There wasn't much of it left either. It's become a favourite here for when we have a huge gathering or when we're headed to a Potluck.

I know there's a copy of it in Mom's binder of recipes. I'll have to go looking for it if anyone's interested.

We also eat the seeds in various ways. On vanilla ice cream, mixed in Greek Yogurt, mixed in our Oatmeal. It's really good paired w/Peach Slices if you mix it w/your Oatmeal BTW.

We really love Pommies and can't wait for them to start showing up in the stores more now since it's getting close to Holiday Time.
    Yes, I would like to know the recipe. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I take it none of you have seen this yet: how to seed a pomegranate in 30 seconds. No kidding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ7dk9nDR-k
    Awesome! It looks so easy! Now I must try this.

vCash
    I just ate my first one last week though I have drank the juice for a long time. I didn't eat the bitter seed part tried but just couldn't do it.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Vash, give me till tomorrow to find it, as the parents have gone to bed and I'm not sure where her recipe binder of Net recipes is exactly. Me making noise while looking for it would not go over well right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Vash, give me till tomorrow to find it, as the parents have gone to bed and I'm not sure where her recipe binder of Net recipes is exactly. Me making noise while looking for it would not go over well right now.
    No problem. Take your time. Thanks.

vCash
    I picked about 12-13 pomegranates off my tree this morning, then I found more than a dozen in my refrigerator. So I took some to work to share. The birds have eaten many, and yet I got plenty. Lucky me!

vCash
    How big does a pomegranate tree grow? Does it grow unruly if you don't prune it?

vCash
    Orbitz, I am not good at guessing heights of trees, but mine could be around 15-20 ft tall. It grew from a 6-7 ft tall tree when it was planted. The branches are thickly covered with leaves and fruit. It does get pruned every year, once the fruit is gone. Otherwise it could grow unruly. I don't remember exactly when my yard guy prunes it. I am guessing it's probably in summer, but I could be way off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast