Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    I am thrilled for Kim and Brent, and combined with Sinead and John, I'm very glad to see ice dancers represented twice, to say nothing of Katia and Ilia doing moves.

I am so disappointed that the Hershey thing didn't work out for me tonight, would have tried to go any other night but it's my last night with grands.
    Last edited by Lacey; 01-01-2013 at 12:07 AM.

vCash
    Thanks so much for the report! Oooh, Katia & Ilia doing pair/dance moves together. I seriously became giddy when I read that.

I'd love to see the routines online. The Kerrs' number sounds great as well.

vCash

Stars On Ice Creates Magic While Saying Farewell to Kurt Browning

A full report on the show and all the skaters programs, as well as pictures and a video of Kurt's "Singing in the Rain":
    http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/201...ll-video-0101/
    Hands down, THE moment of the evening for any long time skating fan came when Kurt Browning took the ice to create his infamous skate to Singing In The Rain. He is just magic brought to life. This program was originally done 20 years ago and it is timeless. Kurt has often been referred to as the Gene Kelly of skating and he really owns that title. If Gene Kelly did it through puddles, Kurt brings it to life, on the ice, complete with a spotlight filled with falling rain. There is no better way for to say farewell to American audiences than by bringing back this old favorite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    A full report on the show and all the skaters programs, as well as pictures and a video of Kurt's "Singing in the Rain":
    http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/201...ll-video-0101/
    Fantastic review, thank you so much for sharing the link! The show sounds wonderful. Katia's "Lights" program sounds great, and of course, Kurt's "Singing in the Rain." Just one very minor, minor correction to the great review, Katia & Ilia have skated together before, most notably their "Di Bolero" pair duet number.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    The article acknowledges that Katia & Ilia skated together before:

Years ago there was a routine in Stars On Ice that featured Katia Gordeeva and Ilia Kulik skating pairs for the first time.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    The article acknowledges that Katia & Ilia skated together before:
    Wow. Believe it or not, I didn't party too much to celebrate New Year's either. thanks for the correction!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I know Kulik and Gordeeva skated in a quartet on Stars on Ice with Bechke and Petrov. I think Petrov was the first man to do real pairs elements (like lifts) with Gordeeva in a show after Grinkov.

ETA: I found the link on YouTube, dated 1998-9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYYIkYax6rw

Apart from John Curry's shows at the Metropolitan Opera House, and with the caveat that I've never seen Browning's "Nyah" live, this was the most spectacular professional performance I've ever seen. I remember thinking I had died and gone to heaven.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 01-02-2013 at 03:28 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Dorothy Hamill alone is worth the price of admission. Period. It's so good to see her out there touring again. She honest-to-God is ageless...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I know Kulik and Gordeeva skated in a quartet on Stars on Ice with Bechke and Petrov. I think Petrov was the first man to do real pairs elements (like lifts) with Gordeeva in a show after Grinkov.

ETA: I found the link on YouTube, dated 1998-9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYYIkYax6rw

Apart from John Curry's shows at the Metropolitan Opera House, and with the caveat that I've never seen Browning's "Nyah" live, this was the most spectacular professional performance I've ever seen. I remember thinking I had died and gone to heaven.
    I can imagine. That must have been so amazing to see.

vCash
    I absolutely loved the "Four Corners" number. The only odd thing I found about it is that they distinctly weren't equal corners - I don't think Ilia ever skated with Elena so it was very much a Katia-number with Elena to skate with Denis when he wasn't skating with Katia. Still an awesome number, though. If that Katia/Ilia/Kim/Brent number captures even some of that feel, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks so much for the reports! I'm so looking forward to seeing this show in March!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The lifts that Gordeeva and Kulik did back then were low, dance lifts, and adding a dance couple might make it more equal all-around.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Me too. I'm glad SOI is still plugging along though and it sounds as if last year's show, even with a decreased touring schedule was quite good. I'd especially love to see Kurt, Katia, Ilia and the Kerrs.
    While I am glad they can still plug away somewhere, it's a real shame that such large sections of the US are left out.
    Attending SOI had become an annual tradition for me, but there's no way I can pay the price of the tickets plus travel to see it.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing that great review.
    I hate that SOI isn't touring anywhere in the South.
    I would have definitely traveled to see the show.

vCash
    The Hershey show was great! We had seen Shawn Sawyer in competition on TV, but this was the first time we saw him in person. He was a fabulous addition to the US cast, and has amazing flexibility. I think of him as the male version of Sasha (and I definitely mean that in a very complimentary way). We have several friends who normally attend SOI with us, who couldn't due to work obligations on NYE or other factors. I do hope that the 2014 tour (assuming there still is one) will go back to being in March/April, after Olympics & Worlds, and will restore many cities that have been left out in recent years.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Thanks for sharing that great review.
    I hate that SOI isn't touring anywhere in the South.
    I would have definitely traveled to see the show.
    They have not toured the south in several years (except I believe Florida which is still a very long drive for Southerners or Midwesterners). It doesn't appear as if this is going to change any time soon. With 6 dates, it appears SOI is on it's last leg.

vCash
    There's a new interview with The Kerr's up on the same site today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by meighanu View Post
    There's a new interview with The Kerr's up on the same site today.
    Here's the link to the article on the Kerr's:
    http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/201...n-ice-in-2013/

vCash
    Thank you so much for the link to the interview with the Kerrs! We're so glad they are part of the SOI cast, along with Kim & Brent!

vCash
    Another review and lots of beautiful photos from the Lake Placid show: http://lakeplacidskater.blogspot.com...ce-photos.html

vCash
    ^ Thank you! The pics are gorgeous!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast