Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

Stars on Ice US Tour: Six Cities

Joannie Rochette's FB-master just posted a link to the Stars on Ice website, which lists six cities for the 2012-13 US tour, and nothing yet for the Canadian Tour until Fall:

30 December 2012: Lake Placid, NY, Olympic Center
    31 December 2012: Hershey, PA, Giant Center
    2 March 2013: Anaheim, CA, Honda Center
    3 March 2013: San Jose, CA, HP Pavillion
    8 March 2013: Chicago, IL, Allstate Arena
    10 March 2013: Portland, ME, The Civic Center

Cast listed to date is:

Dorothy Hammill
    Kurt Browning
    Shawn Sawyer
    Joannie Rochette
    Sinead and John Kerr
    Ryan Bradley
    Ekaterina Gordeeva
    Ilia Kulik

with the caveat that all skaters aren't guaranteed to appear in all cities. Even with a day of travel there and another back, that 4 days for the end of December and 11 days for the March segment.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    The SOI website mentions the return of Dorothy for Kurt's last US SOI tour. It sounds like it might be the last SOI too with these few stops
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    I'm hoping they'll do a big post-Oly tour in 2014, just like they did in 2010. Hey, I can dream.

vCash
    It's too bad, we went the past 2 years. Two years ago it was a lot of fun - Evan and Sasha were so much fun to watch, it was very lively. This year the rink felt so empty and hollow. It was a cute show but I was glad the tickets were a gift, it was missing a spark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    The SOI website mentions the return of Dorothy for Kurt's last US SOI tour. It sounds like it might be the last SOI too with these few stops
    I keep wondering how long it can hang on .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I'm hoping they'll do a big post-Oly tour in 2014, just like they did in 2010. Hey, I can dream.
    Actually I definitely think this is within the realm of possibility. Nothing like an Olympic year (hopefully with some good results for North American skaters) to revive skating.

vCash
    Glad Ilia and Katia will be touring again, especially since they are busy with coaching at their rink. I wonder if they will do program together since their aren't any pairs except for the Kerrs. And also more skaters doing numbers in groups?

I'll be going to the San Jose show since I live in SJ!

vCash
    So sad, great cast, but only 6 cities - so many parts of the US left out in the cold, again! Scheduling one of the shows on New year's Eve? You've got to be kidding!

Debbie, I hope you're right. We've supported this tour since 1993, and I truly believe this is the end of the line for SOI.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Wow, that's sad.

vCash
    Very sad to see the schedule. I do hope they can hold on through next year. If USA Gymnastics can pull off a relatively successful post-Olympic booty-shaking tour, SOI should be able to find a sponsor.

Interesting choice, going straight from Lake Placid to Hershey on New Year's Eve.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    This past year's SOI was not large either, but IMO it was a very good show. If they put on a quality production this year, I will definitely be there. There is no tour stop anywhere close to me, and there hasn't been for awhile. I travel. This past March, it was well worth the trip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlercu View Post
    Very sad to see the schedule. I do hope they can hold on through next year. If USA Gymnastics can pull off a relatively successful post-Olympic booty-shaking tour, SOI should be able to find a sponsor.

Interesting choice, going straight from Lake Placid to Hershey on New Year's Eve.
    USA Gymnastics won a gold medal. Anyone who wants SOI to survive in 2014 better hope the U.S. wins gold medals in Sochi and that those skaters appear in the show.

vCash
    Another drawback for the US leg of the SOI tour is that they do it before Worlds, guaranteeing that we won't see any eligible skaters. I love seeing the "pros" but the highlight for me was seeing the current crop of skaters.

vCash
    I was actually thinking I would like to go to the Hershey show, but New Year's Eve is a no go. When you add a plane ticket and hotel to the price of the ticket it's a real vacation. Not sure I can talk any family into going. There's no ball involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    This past year's SOI was not large either, but IMO it was a very good show. If they put on a quality production this year, I will definitely be there. There is no tour stop anywhere close to me, and there hasn't been for awhile. I travel. This past March, it was well worth the trip.
    I agree.

I saw the 2010 post-Oly show and it was awful in comparison to the show's golden years. This past spring's show, however, was excellent. I felt like SOI was finally getting back to its creative roots. I'd be sad if this were the end for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    So sad, great cast, but only 6 cities - so many parts of the US left out in the cold, again! Scheduling one of the shows on New year's Eve? You've got to be kidding!
    I saw SOI in Hershey last year and thought it was a great show. Would love to go back this year, but with it being on New Year's Eve I just don't see how. Not to mention that I can't even find a time for the show.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If there's one night to have the show in a big city with public transport, something that can be a festive evening but end early enough to get home well before midnight and safely, it would be NYE.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Sad. We'll be going to the Anaheim show. We didn't get to go this past March as I was pregnant and did not feel like doing anything.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I wonder if NYE is an afternoon show? Or is that night when they could get the arena for cheap?

Such a far cry from the days when they'd do a preview show in Lake Placid in November to film for a holiday tv special, and then 40 dates - that at the same time as the Champions on Ice tour! And we could look forward to a tv special from Kristi every year, and often from Kurt, Tara and others too. Plus some fun pro "comps" like the Canadian Open and World pros.

Other than COS, most of it was IMG driven. Wonder if they've cut back their staff and budgets too, and just don't bother with figure skating anymore - moving their resources to other areas they feel are more lucrative.

Sigh.

vCash
    The 90's realy were the golden years for pro skating, weren't they? We were so lucky.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast