Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Plus both her kid's names start with F and at first I couldn't keep the straight so I just called them F1 and F2. It caught on.
    A friend of ours divorced a man named Dave, and started dating another man named Dave. Among our friends, to keep them straight because many of us still knew the first one, we started referring to the new guy as D2. We were careful not to say so around our friend so as not to continually remind her of the first guy (it ended badly) and not offend the new guy. Eventually they got married and no one sees the old guy anymore, so by the time we revealed our sekret nickname for him, they laughed about it, and now it's stuck - he's D2, whether anyone even remembers D1 anymore!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    My pet peeve with baby naming is when people have several children and give them matching names. I went to school with Melanie, Melaney, Melina, Melody and Melissa. No one ever knew which one you were referring to. My boss named his sons Darren and Darrell. Same thing.
    I went to school with a Vickie. She had two brothers Ricky and Nicky. I think there was another sibling with another rhyming name too. I remember her telling me her sibling's names, and I commented, "Gee, your parents sure like the icky sound." Thankfully she found that funny, rather than insulting. I really didn't mean to say her family names were icky. It just kinda came out that way. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Here's a challenge.

Suppose you're about to have a baby. Your spouse/partner says "I don't have strong feelings about the kind of name -- style, length, meaning, nationality, whatever. But I do feel strongly that the baby's name should be unique in this generation and if possible creative."

What name(s) would you suggest -- perhaps invent -- that would appeal to you and meet that criterion?
    I always wanted to have a little girl and name her Karalynne. Call her Kara for short. Sounding it out sounds a little like Caroline. I always thought I'd made up the spelling, but I did find it online once in a list of girl's names. So I guess I'm not so original after all. I always thought it had an elegant look to it, and the pronunciation wouldn't be too difficult. Of course, she would have trouble all her life getting people to spell her name right.

My given name is Marianne. And usually if I tell someone my name as they prepare to write it down, I have to immediately spell it out for them so they don't go with Mary Ann. They always get taken aback, and fumble with the writing. Tell me, "whoa, wait, how's that again?" Even when I tell people how to spell it, or they've seen it spelled before, they try to throw in an extra R, lop off an n, or both. Then there's those that see it spelled, and try to call me Marlene. Or, they hear me tell them my name, and come back at me with Mary. Even if it was spelled Mary Ann, if I tell you my name with the full pronunciation, the least you could do is address me as I've told you to.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

I like Talia as well, and Aliya (but not Aliyah or Aaliyah)..
    Isn't Aliya/Aliyah Hebrew for making a return to the Holy Land? (And an episode of NCIS, no prizes for guessing the plot.)

I also like Claudia and Julia, though mostly because they're feminine Roman family names (a girl would be Julia Majora, Julia Minora, etc. if she were of the Julii.) And being a Rome geek, it appeals.

If I had to use a relatively unique name, I might actually go and use my great-grandmother's name, Michaelina, or my great-great grandmother's, Karolina.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    In my department at work we have two women named Stacia. I'd never met ONE before and now we have two. They are both blond and pretty, and friends, and they both got married this year and now their last names are almost identical as well.
    LOl - if you work in sales/hospitality I will laugh - I worked with the cutest blond named Stacia. How funny that there is more than one! Her's was short for Anastasia though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Isn't Aliya/Aliyah Hebrew for making a return to the Holy Land?
    It's a term used for Jewish people who immigrate to Israel, yes. It means going up or rising someplace. The reverse is yerida, which can be translated as coming down. What can I say, people are patriotic here It's not used as a Hebrew name, though I believe it is an Arabic and Turkish name.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    this site has some awesomely awful baby names

www.wesclark.com/ubn/
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    Jamie, Jason, and Jennifer were huge when I was growing up. I graduated with 7 Jamie's, 5 Jennifer's, and 5 Jason's. there were only about 90 kids in my class. I would NEVER name my children those names now, only because there were SO MANY! Emily,Emma, Isabella, McKayla (and the other Mc's), Aiden (and all its rhymes) and Kaylee (and all its rhymes) are the Jamie, Jason, and Jennifer of today it seems.
    I was an accountant at our club's skating competition back in the '80's. One flight had 10 girls and six were named Jennifer.

My niece has a daughter named Kailee and a son name Kaiden. My nephew has a daughter named Isabella. We tried to suggest that perhaps they should consider naming them something a little less common, but they didn't listen. Kailee and Isabella each have four or five girls in their class with the same name (and they both go to schools with small classes). Kaiden is only a year old but I'm sure he won't be the only Kaiden in his class when he starts school.

When my younger brother was born, my mother shared a room with a woman whose last name was Lemon. She named her new daughter Candy.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    When I was in 3rd grade, there were twin girls in my class named Whitney and Britney. I went to their birthday party and found out that their mother was also a twin and her and her sister were named Bonnie and Connie.

Recently, I came across a woman who had a daughter named So'Uneek. Spelled just like that.

vCash
    Some friends of mine named one of their sons Rhyley (Riley pronounced). I found it so strange, they weren't the type of people I would expect it from. I think strange spellings of normal names is the most annoying trend, I would never do it.

I would also never name my kid something from another culture I had not connection to. A collage acquaintance named her first kid Yuri (after Yuri Gagarin), the parents were both as Danish as you can be.
    I looove the name Omar, but wouldn't choose it since I have no connection to the name. My sister in law married a guy from Pakistan, and despite my lobbying my nephew is not named Omar .

I would never name a girl what I think of as a 'stripper name': Charity, Candy and the like.

In addition, I feel strange about biblical names, thought they are very common in Denmark (Peter, Michael, Marie = Mary, etc), since I am not really a Christian.

My husband think it is strange to name kids after a god, even from a (mostly) dead religion, no Thor (or Zeus) for us - Thor is not uncommon in Scandinavia though.

vCash
    So, so many names. I just can't even get through the entire thread. I knew a family that wanted all the kids names to have very few vowels and be unusual. Also, the kids all have the same middle name (a family last name) and a hyphenated last name (mom & dad). I've changed the middle & last names, but they are similar to what's there. The first names are the same.

Xtehn Waterhouse Bellringer-Titbrush
    Zahlen Waterhouse Bellringer-Titbrush
    Vehro Waterhouse Bellringer-Titbrush
    Rohre Waterhouse Bellringer-Titbrush

also, I used to work with a guy whose father was a OB-GYN. There was a woman who named her daughter Vagina - pronounced vaj-in-ay!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Do they rhyme with Clementine or Sweet Mama Stringbean? Enquiring minds want to know.
    I have no idea...I'm assuming their parents Vaughan and Almena wanted them to be modest and pleasant.

vCash
    I quite like a lot of gaelic based names and they're fairly popular here in Scotland but over the last while I've noticed a lot of kids at the school I teach at being named gaelic names but spelled phonetically. I've seen so many different variations of Ciaran that I can barely keep straight which child is which - Kieren, Kiaran, Cieren and even worse Keeran! Arrgh! That's before we even get to the Mhairi argument! It's meant to be pronounced as "Varry" here but a lot of parents spell it this way but want it pronounced as "Marry" (which is normally spelled Mairi).

My favourite name for a girl is Eilidh (which is pronounced Aylee), it's a very common name in Scotland now but it's not well known outside of here. One of the girls I teach dance to was recently accepted into the Young Americans performing company and at the event (which was held in California) where she was accepted, the director of the company announced her name as "El-de-... oh I can't say this. The girl from Scotland!" We all cracked up majorly! She has since taken to introducing herself when having to spell her name as "Like Kayleigh without the K!"

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Speaking of Scottish names - an acquaintance really wanted to name her daughter Blythe, but her husband wasn't going for it, so I suggested Alyth. It's actually a town in Scotland where some of my husband's ancestors are from, which is where I got the idea, but more importantly, I just think it's pretty Slightly concerned that little kids would have trouble pronouncing it and it might come out like a lisp, but you could always call the kid Ally while they were young, and then they'd have a choice as they got older.

Since I have no daughters, anyone else can feel free to use it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Speaking of Scottish names - an acquaintance really wanted to name her daughter Blythe, but her husband wasn't going for it, so I suggested Alyth. It's actually a town in Scotland where some of my husband's ancestors are from, which is where I got the idea, but more importantly, I just think it's pretty Slightly concerned that little kids would have trouble pronouncing it and it might come out like a lisp, but you could always call the kid Ally while they were young, and then they'd have a choice as they got older.

Since I have no daughters, anyone else can feel free to use it
    There's a little girl in our pre-school class called Alyth. She's absolutely gorgeous and it's a beautiful name. She pronounces it as Ay-lith. Blythe is cute too but I've never met anyone called that yet.

bird is the word
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    this site has some awesomely awful baby names

www.wesclark.com/ubn/
    Some gems from this page(seriously, are these real??):
    BOYS
    Blen
    Breed
    Cashley
    D'Loaf
    Garf (poor kid)
    Knight Train
    Mazil
    Rode O (yee haw!)
    Tolex (too cheap for a Rolex?)

GIRLS - all of these names could easily be on Toddlers and Tiara's!
    Aarikkaa (Erica?)
    Arloween
    Bimberley
    Brinderella - (WTF? Really people?!)
    Dann'yell
    Fleetah - (fast like a cheetah!)
    Staccato -(cousin to Harmony and Melody?)
    "Life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead." - Homer Simpson

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    My pet peeve with baby naming is when people have several children and give them matching names.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Oh, I knew a Melody and Harmony sibling set too! Their mother always lamented that she didn't have a third daughter to name Symphony.
    My mother told me that if she had known from the start when my two sisters and I were going to be born, she would have named us April, May and June.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    My mother told me that if she had known from the start when my two sisters and I were going to be born, she would have named us April, May and June.
    That would have been lovely. A neighbour's six year old daughter is named October, which is not the month of her birth, but the month of her Dad's birthday. I quite like it. I like unusual names, as long as they have a nice connotation or story behind them, and as long as they aren't confusing spellings.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    In the 7th grade I was in a play with sisters named April, May, and June (I played April ) you are very, very lucky that didn't happen to you
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I have clients named Xella and Xaqira. Their sister's name also begins with an "X" but I can't remember what it is. They're pronounced "Shella" and Shaqira". They were adopted by Aussies, but are Chinese, so their parents put "x" sounding like "sh" as that's (sort of) how it is with Chinese "x's". All of the kids love their names, and here in China there are some really weird English names anyway, they probably go to school with several Apples and Frogs. My next-door neighbour named their kid Cancer (but it's now changed to Ryan) - a Korean family who gave English names when they moved here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grimey View Post
    Some gems from this page(seriously, are these real??):Staccato -(cousin to Harmony and Melody?)
    I know a Cadence that we can add to that.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast