Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I would never name my kids Karen, Susan or Debbie. Not because there is something wrong with those names, but EVERY girl in my school seemed to have those names. So (a) they seem overdone and (b) I have traumatic encounters with girls who had each of those names.

I also swore I would never give my kid a middle name of Ann or Lynn because everyone seemed to have those names as middle names. But then I married into a family who had a tradition of giving all the girls middle names of Ann in honor of my MIL's mother. And the day I found out I was pregnant with Mini-Mac, my friend Lynn died. So I was torn. We actually contemplated naming her Lynn Ann - double whammy! But Mr. Mac didn't like that and had no trouble breaking the family tradition so she was saved from that fate.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    When I was announcing at a competiton we had one of the out-of-state skaters' mothers come storming up to us demanding to WATCH me write out how to say her daughter's name phonetically. "I won't have her embarassed by you saying her name wrong!"

The girl's name was said "Dee-ah-na." The spelling on our skater listing, the spelling of the name, was Dijianah. My immediate thought was "If you didn't want it mispronounced, why not spell it properly in the first place?!"
    I am SOOOO with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I went to college with a guy named King James Version.
    YIKES......

i once met a kids named ankin (as in from star wars) and i thought that was bad!! some of these are

vCash
    Names spelled cre8tvleigh really grate on my nerves. Syndee is not unique. It's spelled incorrectly.

vCash
    I had a teacher in Jr. High whose last name was Reck. She joked with us that if she ever had a son, she'd have to resist the temptaion to name him Otto.

vCash
    Last time I went to the pediatrician, the babies had horrific names. My kid is Ian. The others? Kerrigan, Sunshine, and Precious. All girls. Good Lord, those poor children.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Last time I went to the pediatrician, the babies had horrific names. My kid is Ian. The others? Kerrigan, Sunshine, and Precious. All girls. Good Lord, those poor children.
    Mmm, maybe the parents are fans of Nancy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Based on the novel Push by Sapphire?

Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    La-a. Pronounced Ladasha. Really. The mother was upset with the school staff for not being able to pronounce it.
    Unless someone has met an actual La-a in person, I am inclined to believe that it's an urban legend (though Snopes lists it as undetermined).

I've seen some good ones on STFU Parents, like this - but beware the link to Vadgesty Foxi Maiden and Vagena Tamphen Pohtaytar, it is NSFW (or for anything else, for that matter).

And yes, the creative spelling trend is really stupid and has already been done better. Luckily in Hebrew we don't have vowels, so parents really can't do too much damage; the trend I really dislike here is giving kids non-Hebrew names. It's one thing to name them something that works in Israel and outside it (e.g. Daniel, Maya), but there are way too many Liams and Shawns for my liking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I would never name my kids Karen, Susan or Debbie. Not because there is something wrong with those names, but EVERY girl in my school seemed to have those names. So (a) they seem overdone and (b) I have traumatic encounters with girls who had each of those names.
    Funny, Karen is one of my favorite names, probably because I had two very close childhood friends with that name. It appeals to me also because it does not end with an "a" or have a nickname with "ie".

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    Neveah
    I second, third and fourth that one!! Gawd it is so pretentious and the people who I know at work who have used it act like they were the ones who thought it up and no one else is named that. Never never never never never!!

If ever needed, I plan to stick with simple basic names! My only problem is I hate so many beyotch's in my life I could never name my child the name of a girl (or guy) I hated. Jennifer, while a normal simple name, would never be used by me for that reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post

As for old lady names, I don't think some are ever coming back. My grandmother's name was Myrtle and even then she and everyone else didn't like it. Edna, Agnes, Gertrude, etc are never going to come back.
    I love old lady names.. they're hilarious. :p Opal, Bertha, Gretchen, Heldora, Esther-Sue, Lenore...

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    1.) Wasn't there an entire thread dedicated to the college guidance counselor named Marijuana Pepsie Sawyer?
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/346416...l-see-you-now/

2.) Aquanetta, as mentioned above, is the name of the mother of the boy who's the best ecolocuter in the world.

3.) Not made up: My cousin went to school with a brother and sister whose last name is Choice. The girl's first name? NEW UNIQUE. The boy's first name? THE RAW.

4.) Friend went to high school with two brothers name Limonjello and Orangello.

5.) Same friend has a friend who's a 911 dispatcher. Friend got a call one night: "MY DAUGHTER MISSING."

"Ma'am, how long has she been missing?"

"OVER 24 HOUR."

"All right, could you spell her name for me?"

"F"

"Uh huh."

"E"

"Yeah."

"M"

"Go ahead."

"A"

"Got it."

"L"

"Yup ..."

"E!"

" ... ... female?"

"NO! FEH-MAWL-LAY!"

vCash
    For my generation, it's Sarah, Katie, and Brittany. I've met dozens of girls with these names over the years. I actually went by one of these names as a kid but finally started going by a nickname because the former name was just so common.

vCash
    I don't care for the names 'Apple' or 'Free'. I met an Apple tonight and she's Chinese. Chinese people often adopt cute or unusual names for their English name. But this girl, she was cute as an Apple and the name suited her. But you can't count on that when a child is newborn.

vCash
    My mother who would be 86 if she were still alive, went to school with a Nora Bone!! Poor Nora was a little bit simple to boot!

Other names can become unfortunate, such as Richard Head!

Other real names from my past, Orson Cart and Sunshine Brightly!!

vCash
    What makes a Hebrew name Hebrew? Is it tradition or sound?

A Muslim told me that a Muslim name is sound based - putting together syllables of sound found in the Qu'ran.

I was looking at Hebrew names for girls very recently and there didn't seem to be a lot of modern choices.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Nevaeh is such a stupid name - why would you want to spell heaven backwards? Are the Naveahs being expelled from heaven? Do people ever spell other things backwards as names?

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    What makes a Hebrew name Hebrew? Is it tradition or sound?
    I was looking at Hebrew names for girls very recently and there didn't seem to be a lot of modern choices.
    Hebrew names will usually have some meaning in Hebrew, and/or be Biblical. There are actually lots of lovely Hebrew names for both boys and girls, both modern and retro, but I'm not sure how they'd sound to non-Hebrew speakers. PM me if you want some ideas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    I love old lady names.. they're hilarious. :p Opal, Bertha, Gretchen, Heldora, Esther-Sue, Lenore...
    My paternal grandmother was christened "Berthe-Mathilde de Créqui" in Alsace-Lorraine in 1900. She emigrated to the US with her family in 1913 and never forgave the officials at Ellis Island for changing her name to "Bertha Matilda Creaky". She was still bitching about it eight decades later.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash

I wish there had been more Karens around when I was at school. I always felt like I had such an old, odd, rare name. When I was a kid I hated it and wanted to change it. at being a kid. Now I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    it's already not the worst name in the thread, but when my cousin broke up with her boyfriend recently, she changed their baby's name from sophia to jojo.
    That is bizarre!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    My paternal grandmother was christened "Berthe-Mathilde de Créqui" in Alsace-Lorraine in 1900. She emigrated to the US with her family in 1913 and never forgave the officials at Ellis Island for changing her name to "Bertha Matilda Creaky". She was still bitching about it eight decades later.
    That is unfortunate... (((Bertha Matilda Creaky)))

vCash
    Have read most of this thread and been amazed at the names. When I was thinking of what not to name a child - Bertha, Maude and Mavis were my first thoughts, which now seem tame and acceptable given everything above. I can't think of any unacceptable boys names, (of the ordinary variety). Bruce is no longer fashionable. You don't hear that name very often. What other "regular" names have gone out of fashion over the past two generations?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast