Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    That's interesting because we're of a similar generation and I can think of a lot of guys named Stacy and Tracy who are quite masculine. I think of these names as unisex.
    I knew a boy Stacy- short for Eustace. And a Couple of boy Tracys (not short for anything, as far as I know, although one went by "Trace".
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    An ex-co worker friend of mine named her daughter Morticia Lucrisha. That was around 23 years ago. She said that one of her favorite shows was The Addams Family. Her daughter had to deal with this name all throughout high school. The daughter legally changed her name to McKala after she got out of high school. I cannot blame her one bit for doing so. To begin with, people should definitely think about what they're going to name their children and the concequences their children will have to deal with if they have such irate, unusual names.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    That's interesting because we're of a similar generation and I can think of a lot of guys named Stacy and Tracy who are quite masculine. I think of these names as unisex.
    I don't think a name determines your masculinity or your femininity. Not at all. The boy named Tracy that I taught was a big burly football player. I just happened to have grown up with at least one Tracy and three or four Stacys around in every school. And they were all female.

vCash
    It is too bad Morticia Lucrisha wasn't happy with tisha, or tish, or lucy or lucky...any number of nick names! But to be another Mckala, Macayla, mikayla....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    The daughter legally changed her name to McKala after she got out of high school.
    How is that pronounced? the same as Michaela?

I knew a guy in high school, big handsome guy, who was a late baby, had parents in their 60's in HS, who's actual name on his BC was Dani. Poor poor guy. He obviously always used Danny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    It is too bad Morticia Lucrisha wasn't happy with tisha, or tish, or lucy or lucky...any number of nick names! But to be another Mckala, Macayla, mikayla....
    Or yeah, I'd forgotten these had become alternate spellings........

I actually think a lot of these spelling came about because some parents knew names, but had no idea how to spell them.

I also knew a woman who loved the name Chantel, so named her daughter Shawntel. I always figured she never knew how to spell it or pronounce it correctly.

vCash
    I have gotten so tired of correcting how people spell and say my name, that I've just given up.
    Must drive you nuts, having so many people write "McMadam."
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I went to school with a girl called Anamarija (common Slavic combination of Ana and Marija (Mary)).
    But weird part is that she is one of 3 sisters. Other 2 - Anabella, Anabellee.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Having "feminine" names doesn't seem to have held back these guys:

Tracy Morgan
    Stacy Keach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    I'm reminded of a Monty Python record (yes I'm old enough to have bought records) with a skit involving variants of Charles Dickens and his book titles. One name was brought up as having "four M's and a silent Q!"
    The Bookshop Sketch. I remember "Knickerless Nickleby" and "A Sale of Two Titties" were two of the titles.

vCash
    After watching Entourage, I can never think of the name Ari again without thinking of the agent played by Jeremy Piven. Not remotely cutesy or girly.

All the Ari's I've know where Jewish and male so that's what I think of when I see that name.
    I actually have a BIL named Ari Gold. I'm sure he's gotten all kinds of crap about it.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    BTW, isn't Sandy short for Alexander?
    It is... his birth name is Alexander, though he says he's never been called that - it's only used on his government ID but even for his job, he's listed as Sandy.

But seriously, with a name like Alexander, 'Sandy' is the best short form his parents could come up with?

One of my friends is named Lara, and she doesn't like the spelling of her name because people always pronounce it 'Lair-a' and she really doesn't like that pronunciation because it's supposed to be Lar-a (like Car-a)

I also have a friend named Margaret. Nice, normal name. She hates it. But instead of being nicknamed 'Meg', or 'Maggie' or anything like that, she goes by 'Peggy'. Again, another case of 'that's the name you picked?'

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i have a friend who is younger than me named dorothy. her chosen nickname is dotsie. it sounds like someone in a sluggo cartoon.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I also have a friend named Margaret. Nice, normal name. She hates it. But instead of being nicknamed 'Meg', or 'Maggie' or anything like that, she goes by 'Peggy'. Again, another case of 'that's the name you picked?'
    I always wondered how Peggy came from Margaret. Isn't Peggy's birth name Margaret Gail Fleming? I'm not a fan of the name Margaret. A friend at work named his daughter Margaret Helene. Loved the Helene part, the Marg part not so much. When I hear the name Margaret, I picture some obnoxious straight A ten year old tattling on her classmates.

I love the name Alexandre. That would be close to the top if I had a son. I agree, with all the possible nicknames for this one, parents came up with SANDY??? Andy, Andre, Xander, Alex, Lex, etc. But to call their son Sandy?

When my best friend had a daughter six years ago, I was honored to be the godparent. Not so honored to be given the task of naming her. My tastes run off-center and yet traditional. I submitted ten names, and they fell in love with Lilian Grace, and so it was. I knew they couldn't handle Athena, Aurora or Atalanta. hehe Well they had another daughter last year, and guess who they came to. But with a mature name such as Lilian, they couldn't possibly name the next daughter Debbie or Britney or whatever. Against my better judgement I proposed Vivien Hope. Another winner for them, except I was feeling like I was naming those two spinsters from the Waltons. The girls are nick'd Lily and Viv. Could be worse. But I feel somewhat responsible for the grandma-ing of names in the new century.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post

I have a niece Katie who married a Ken. That was coincidence, but she named her 2 sons with K's. Their names would be ok if spelled with a C but they just look stupid & cutesy with a K: Kooper & Kolton. My other niece named her son Tanner.
    My cousin Kim married a guy named Tim. I told them if they named their kid "Jim" I was coming out there to kick ass and take names, literally. (They named him Jack.)

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    My mom's name is Margaret, and she hates it too. Though that's probably because my her, my grandma, my great grandma, and one of her cousins are all named Margaret. At one point they all lived in the same house
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    My daughter is named Margaret. We never call her that. We actually named her Maggie but put Margaret on the birth certificate so she had some choices later in life if she decided Maggie wasn't a serious enough name.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    One of my college friend's mother's maiden name was Sandy Fish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    My paternal grandmother was called Effie. I can't remember her full name but I heard it when I was young & it was pretty. Ephimena? Something like that.
    Are your family of German origin by any chance? In Germany, Effi (albeit without the E) is a name in its own right and I believe that it can also be short for Elfriede. In England, Effi can also be short for Elizabeth. I first heard of it when reading the novel Effi Briest but it's also the name of the female lead in an English TV series called Skins. I think it's a really pretty name

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    I knew a guy in high school, big handsome guy, who was a late baby, had parents in their 60's in HS, who's actual name on his BC was Dani. Poor poor guy. He obviously always used Danny.
    I think that's actually a male first name in Spanish. Dani Pedrosa, y'know.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast