Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    vCash
    My husband's name is Musser which was his father's and grandfather's first names. It's Pennsylvania Dutch and is typically a last name. Legend has it that the name was the last name of his grandfather's obstetrician (who name's a kid after their doctor???). His middle name is his mother's maiden name so he never had a normal name to pick from. To distinguish between father and son, his family put a diminuitive "ie" ending on his name, which led to ridicule and fights in school. I would never give anyone a name that is hard to spell or pronounce, can be a source of ridicule, can be turned into a bad nickname, and isn't obvious which gender it is. These kinds of names lead to problems for the children who have them. In later life, the names are a topic of conversation, but not as a child. I can't tell you how many times we've had to tell people my hubby's gender, race, pronunciation, and spelling. Fortunately we had girls and did not have to pass the first name on to another child.

My relatives are really into using historical family names, and hence lots of the kids have unusual names. Here's a sample of some of the first and middle names:

Murray Jeanine (girl)
    Asa Andrew (boy)
    Whitney Underwood (boy)

They go by Nina, Drew and Whit, which are much more acceptable in today's world. Our girls have common names which they like for the most part, except when they run into situations where there are many others with the same name. They often have to use their middle names or initials to identify themselves with colleges and financial institutions.

When I was in college, a classmate worked at a hospital part time and told me a few of the outrageous baby names she saw in maternity:

Sterling and Hiho Silver (twins)
    Jello
    Loveday Conquest

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i've known 2 people named after their moms' obgyn after what i have to assume were difficult pregnancies.

i also worked with a girl who sued her obgyn for paternity. it wasnt his. but i think she was hoping he would pay her to keep quiet.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i also worked with a girl who sued her obgyn for paternity. it wasnt his. but i think she was hoping he would pay her to keep quiet.
    Doesn't that seem like a stupid thing to do since the doctor could easily do a paternity test?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Doesn't that seem like a stupid thing to do since the doctor could easily do a paternity test?
    the entire family was really stupid and always looking for easy money. i would have been surprised if they did anything that wasnt half assed.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    One of my former students just named her son Jaxson. What's so wrong with Jackson? Meh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    One of my former students just named her son Jaxson. What's so wrong with Jackson? Meh.
    There's like eleventy billion kids named "Jaxson" now. I know of about 5 people who named their poor child this, with this exact spelling. They think they are being unique and different. Little do they know, all the Jackson's will be the unique and different ones.
    Team Peeps!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    There's like eleventy billion kids named "Jaxson" now. I know of about 5 people who named their poor child this, with this exact spelling. They think they are being unique and different. Little do they know, all the Jackson's will be the unique and different ones.
    But the spelling is still pretty redundant. Why not just "Jaxon" then? My cousins named their daughter EmmaLeigh instead of Emily. I found it quite pretty, though it maybe tweaked my BSometer once or twice. Apparently EmmaLeigh is now pretty popular. Nothing stays unique.

Also, many women that went to my mom (she was an OB/GYN) have named their kids after me because of the picture she had of me on her office desk. It is quite possible for parents to name their kids after their OB/GYNs or their family.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    My husband's aunt, named by her off the boat parents (one from Poland, one from Germany) named her Jadwiga, and her brother Ignatius Stanislaus, my husband's favorite uncle.

They renamed themselves Mickey and Duke. Louis, Mickey & Duke all renamed themselves when they hit elementary school. Which I hope is something that Hashtag, Destony, and some of the other children mentioned in this thread do.
    But Destony was working at the register -- Walmart may have a lot of employment practices I don't agree with, but I don't think they are hiring [pre] elementary school kids. (Well, perhaps they are if the children are "big for their age.")

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    But the spelling is still pretty redundant. Why not just "Jaxon" then?
    Not that the parents naming their children "Jaxson" necessarily are thinking in such detail, but I would not pronounce "Jaxon" the same as "Jackson". Without the "s", I'd pronounce Jaxon to rhyme is axon -- i.e., Jacks - on, vs. Jack-son. But that's just me, I know some who think that Erin and Aaron aren't pronounced differently.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Most Popular Baby Names 2012: The Top 100 Names For Boys And Girls

There are new no. 1 baby names for both girls and boys on Nameberry for 2012. Movie queen Katniss, heroine of "The Hunger Games," takes the top spot among our most-viewed names for girls, while Irish mythological name Finn leapfrogs over our former top boy names Asher and Henry to claim the most popular crown.

Our official 2012 popularity lists, based on nearly 13 million views of our name pages, reflect current interest and future trends in baby names. What’s hot: quirky, traditional names for girls, new Old Testament choices for boys, along with Scandinavian and ancient Roman names.

Names moving fastest up the ladder for girls include the Kardashian choice Penelope, Chloe, Evelyn, and Wren. Boys’ names leapfrogging in popularity include the biblical Simon, Zachary, and Samuel, along with imports Kieran and Soren.

New entrants to our Top 100 include pop culture-inspired Merida and Aria, along with Florence, Luna, and Pearl for girls; Zane, Cato, Stellan, Cyrus, and Nolan for boys.
    (((((Babies who have been or will be named Katniss, Merida, Aria, Wren, Soren, Stellan, and especially [Not Now] Cato))))

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    today i passed one of those new baby signs "welcome home m'qqienzeye"

i'm thinking this is mackenzie formulated by someone w/ too much time on their hands

vCash
    The babies with those names will not find them unusual, if they are indeed moving up the list. It the children who have names that are not on any list or from whom all those traditional names like Anna, Susan, etc.
    If you are in a class of 75 and 3 of you are named Katniss, Merida, etc. it's no big deal. but if you are in a class of 1000 and you are the only one named Fredricka - then it is a problem. It is all relative.

vCash
    But this list is based on how many times people looked at the pages, right. Doesn't mean any of them actually gave the name to a child, or had a child to give a name to.

vCash
    It's kind of like a radar or satellite report of incoming storms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    But this list is based on how many times people looked at the pages, right. Doesn't mean any of them actually gave the name to a child, or had a child to give a name to.
    Exactly. Many probably look for giggles like we do!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718