Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Afterlife
    vCash
    My name is Janelle. It's impossible to find gifting stuff or anything with my name on it. I think I saw my name on a keychain once. It drove me nuts growing up because I could find my middle name, Margaret, all over the place. And my mum's name, Janice, is fairly common. So I always figured my name was fairly uncommon, until we moved to a neighbourhood where I became one of four Janelle's all within a three block radius. There was only one playground in the area so we all knew each other. Then we moved and I didn't meet another Janelle until my last month at my old job. She spelt her name the same way and everything. We used to ignore pages to us assuming it was the other one until they started using the first letter of our last names.
    My brothers name is Thomas but he never met another Thomas until 2 years into his current job. They worked the same shift for a while so it got confusing but they still confuse people with it when they are together. My dad's name is David. For the last 10 years we've always known at least one other David, and his step-brother is a David as well, but after my dad's step-mom married my grandpa he started going by Michael, his middle name. I have an aunt named Jennifer. I don't see her much and I've never thought to ask her if she knew a lot of other Jennifer's growing up.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    One trend I noticed is to give kids an unique name is to use a more traditional name or spelling (e.g. "Rhys" instead of "Reece/Reese").

But one of my cousins' kids has the misfortune of being named "Restituto" after his great-grandfather. He prefers being called "Rusty" instead

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    My mother told me that if she had known from the start when my two sisters and I were going to be born, she would have named us April, May and June.
    That's what my two sisters and I named our dolls many a year ago.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    My mother told me that if she had known from the start when my two sisters and I were going to be born, she would have named us April, May and June.
    My mom had a family of four girls in her town growing up with the names April, May, June, and Julie. The funny thing was that June was born in July, April in March, May in August, and Julie some other month. It made no sense. I've also seen a quadset of sons named Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John (only four so no Acts). Different generations but that would have been fun to combine those families and see just what names they'd come up for the next generation.

I think one of the worst things you can do to your child is name them with a completely unspellable and unpronounceable name. Creativity is good, a unique name may stand out, but I remember reading some article that found that those with WTF names are hired less often and don't move up as fast in their careers than your standard Elizabeths or Williams. I mean, gets serious "Aarrikaa"? Had I had a daughter she'd have been named Athena or Aurora, so I'm not your standard Elizabeth type either. But seeing the list of those names makes me so depressed for those kids. Bimberley? Really? "And here is the first woman POTUS, Ms. Bimberly Smith!" Oh well, ce la vie.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 11-03-2012 at 12:36 AM.

vCash
    My favorite bad name for a kid is Brock Lee. I was in 1st grade with him and, not surprisingly, he was the class clown. It's hard to be a hated green vegetable in grade school. You suffer in misery or laugh a lot.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I often hate weird spelling, but sometimes I also like it. One of my friends used to date an Eryk (Eric). It was easy enough to decipher but still unique. I liked that one (but that might also have been because I knew the guy and it wasn't just some random name I heard)

One that I hated is that I went to school with a Lynzee (Lindsay). I also don't like the spelling of 'Vanessa' as 'Venessa'. And I know someone whose mother is named Janessa.

I'm not a fan of matching names either. I teach a child named Simon. His sister's name is Simona.

I have a friend named Tania. NOBODY can pronounce her name right. It's pronounced like Tonya, but everyone calls her Tan-ya. Even if she corrects them, they go back to doing it wrong. And I prefer her spelling - to me Tania is more aesthetically pleasing to look at than Tonya. Tonya just looks 'harsher' than Tania. Though I can understand why people would pronounce it the wrong way - at least pay attention when someone corrects you!

I had a friend named Josée in high school and we had one teacher that would always call her Josie. Even if she corrected him, she was always Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I would also never name my kid something from another culture I had not connection to. A collage acquaintance named her first kid Yuri (after Yuri Gagarin), the parents were both as Danish as you can be.
    I agree about this, though since I plan on one day marrying (or at least bearing the children of) Alexander Skarsgård, my love of Scandinavian names should be acceptable. He once said in an interview that when his parents said he could help name one of his brothers when he was like 8 years old, he wanted them to use Adolf, but they nixed that idea pretty quick (though he says he does still like the name, just not where the mind goes when people hear it). Instead the kid got an iceberg's name for a middle name.

vCash
    I had a supervisor named Javier Javier. One rather testy elderly client wanted to negotiate her monthly insurance premium, which can't be done, so she asked my supervisor's first name.

"His name is Javier, Madame".
    "What's his last name?"
    "Hs last name is Javier, Madame"
    "You are a smart ass. What's his MIDDLE name"?
    "I don't know his middle name, Madame, but his middle initial is H"
    "So, his middle name is Javier too, is that what you are telling me, you liar?"
    "Of course not, Madame. Javier is spelled with a J".

I should have just said Long Duk Dong.

Maryam is a common name in Iran. I think it's really pretty, and also like Mavis.

A kid from grade school had the name of Cloyd. Another kid was named Skeeter, whose Father was named Stoney Stoneking. I think Stoney was a nickname, though.

Last but not least, a girl who just started in the Gentlemen's club where I waitressed called herself Jetta, because on her way to work, she noticed a VW Jetta in front of her. She was relieved, because she couldn't think of a name. Kind of refreshing, after seeing all the not so high end Porsches, Mercedes, and Lexuses. One very odd lady who we secretly called she-wolf went by the name Murka. Sexy.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I often hate weird spelling, but sometimes I also like it. One of my friends used to date an Eryk (Eric). It was easy enough to decipher but still unique. I liked that one (but that might also have been because I knew the guy and it wasn't just some random name I heard)
    Oh god, there's Erik, Eric, Eriq, Erich, Eryc (clearly Mom was taking erythrocyclin around that time), Aric, Ariq, etc. I've seen them all.

I'm not a fan of matching names either. I teach a child named Simon. His sister's name is Simona.

So brother and sister don't have any special identity in their names. Hopefully their last name wasn't Simon...

I have a friend named Tania. NOBODY can pronounce her name right. It's pronounced like Tonya, but everyone calls her Tan-ya. Even if she corrects them, they go back to doing it wrong. And I prefer her spelling - to me Tania is more aesthetically pleasing to look at than Tonya. Tonya just looks 'harsher' than Tania. Though I can understand why people would pronounce it the wrong way - at least pay attention when someone corrects you!

I know a Tania pronounced tan-ya. I think it is a much prettier spelling than Tonya, but I think the name Tonya probably dropped off after 1994.

He once said in an interview that when his parents said he could help name one of his brothers when he was like 8 years old, he wanted them to use Adolf, but they nixed that idea pretty quick (though he says he does still like the name, just not where the mind goes when people hear it). Instead the kid got an iceberg's name for a middle name.

In some countries it is illegal to name your child Adolf. I like the name as a name, but it is in permanent retirement. Adolf means "wolf", and so parents end up naming their son Wolf. (I thought Wolf Blitzer's real name was Adolf. Glad I checked, his parents were Jewish refugees from Poland, nope don't think he was born Adolf Blitzer... oops)
    I still can't multiquote. Uggh, I really thought I was doing it right. I'm in bold.

vCash
    I'm reminded of a Monty Python record (yes I'm old enough to have bought records) with a skit involving variants of Charles Dickens and his book titles. One name was brought up as having "four M's and a silent Q!"

vCash
    Sa5m-The five is silent.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    These are less inflammatory and are actual names, but I hate the names Myrtle, Ethel, and Mildred. I just see a short 80-year-old woman with white hair when I read or hear them and I would never name a child any of those names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    As for old lady names, I don't think some are ever coming back. My grandmother's name was Myrtle and even then she and everyone else didn't like it. Edna, Agnes, Gertrude, etc are never going to come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae35 View Post
    When I was thinking of what not to name a child - Bertha, Maude and Mavis were my first thoughts, which now seem tame and acceptable given everything above.
    I have relatives with the names bolded in the quotes above .

My family is chock-full of "older" names (of which there are three Mildreds - that I'm aware of ). Some of the names are beautiful, some....not so much, and some just plain .

The list of our family's female names include:

- Eudora,
    - Pamelia (not Pamela),
    - Esther,
    - Honour,
    - Phillippa,
    - Henrietta,
    - Agatha,
    - Levicy,
    - Laviney (L & L were sisters, but not twins),
    - Penelope,
    - Parthenia,
    - Alizannah (nickname Alcy),
    - Ruby,
    - Harriet,
    - Jula,
    - Louelle,
    - Elsie (two of them - a mother and her daughter),

We even have two Cinderellas . One was born in 1795, and the other was her daughter, born in 1841 (and who sadly died in 1843 at the age of 17 months ) .

There are also so many Elizabeths, Marys, Margarets, and Catherines/Katherines it's ridiculous .

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I've seen that recently a lot of the "older" names are coming back.... I worked in long term care so I have seen quite a few Mildreds and Ethels, and i haven't seen those used recently, but Violet, Alice, Abigail and Vivian have come back and they were quite popular "back in the day" too.
    I think Violet and Vivian are lovely (though Violet does tend to remind me of Violent Beauregard, the gum-chewing girl from Willy Wonka that turned into a blueberry ). While Alice is a pretty name, for me it will forever be associated with Alice In Chains and, to a lesser extent, "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane and Grace Slick wailing "Go ask Alice, when she's ten feet tall....." (as well as the obvious - Alice in Wonderland).

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I know a kid named McKenna, and I'm guessing it's a family name. Problem is, the kid is a boy (is it just me, or is that not one's first guess?), with long blonde hair and quite cute. I'm sure when he gets to school age everyone is going to think he's a girl.
    Poor guy. Sometimes I wish children could sue their parents for pain and suffering from being given a horrific and/or ridiculous name resulting in harassment, bullying, and emotional trauma.

MiniCyn came very close to being named McKenna, but we ended up giving her a different first name. We dodged a major bullet on that one, because in the mid-late 90s, girls' names beginning with "Mc" exploded in the tryndee naymz sphere, and now it seems like there's a zillion teenage McKennas, McKenzies, McKaylas, McKinleys, etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    I've seen an Aquanetta.

Was Aquanetta a Drag Queen? If not, that would be a perfect name for one.
    Last edited by Cyn; 11-03-2012 at 06:52 AM.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    I knew a Mildred who was born in the 1970s.

Sometimes parents can't know that they're at the forefront of what's about to be a popular naming trend, that a year or two after they choose an unusual name it will suddenly become very popular. Or that a traditionally masculine but fairly unusual name will suddenly become popular for girls.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I work with someone who is named Mara but it's spelled Maire (since she's also from Ireland). I'm Marie and someone else is Mary. It's VERY confusing especially as I sometimes make a typo and spell my name Maire by accident.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Entre el mundo del patinaje y el mundo real
    vCash
    My mom has four names (in her baptism record, she only uses 2 in her official documents) Angela Maria Bruna Erminia (she was named after my great grandmother) Angela and Maria she is fine with, but call her Bruna or Erminia and she´ll snap,my nonna used to call her all four names when she got mad or wanted to make a point.

vCash
    I've been trying to remember this name since this started and finally did. I had a student last semester whose name was Daz'Juan - a female student. I remember pulling up the list on my first day and panicking when I saw that name, but I actually pronounced it correctly during attendance. What I recall most vividly is the completely embarrassed look on the normally vibrant girl's face when I said it, and then she meekly asked me to please call her Daisy. Poor girl.

vCash
    I don't know the genesis of this name but I have always remembered it since hearing it on NPR years ago: There was an olympic rower named Anna Banana Seaton --this had to be at least twenty years ago and I've never forgotten that name. I don't actually hate it.

vCash
    What do you all think of the girl's name Paige? I go back and forth -- sometimes I like it and sometimes it just feels off.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    there's a girl nearby who ran for local office named d'est-inee. i bet she'd kill to be paige.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    When my aunt was a nurse, many years ago, she spent some time in the maternity ward. There was a woman in there who'd just given birth to a boy. Her surname was "Duck".

She named her son Donald. And when her family came to visit her, my aunt was horrified to discover that it wasn't just an innocent mistake; her older daughter was named Daisy.

vCash
    My Mom worked with a woman who said there would be a very pretty sounding girl's name, if you didn't already know the definition of the word. She said it really did roll off the tongue nicely. The word? Diarrhea.

No, she never did subject any of her daughter's with that name!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast