Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Names You Will NEVER Give Your Children

Whether it is family, friends, work, Facebook etc....do you have "What were they thinking" moments when you see/hear/read the names given to newborns? I saw the name Sammsyn for a boy and wondered at the spelling more than the name. At least he can be "Sam."

Any names catch your eye for all of the wrong reasons?

vCash
    I know someone who named their kid Pistol.

vCash
    A friend of a friend just named their daughter Kherrington.

vCash
    Neveah

vCash
    Eunique.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    it's already not the worst name in the thread, but when my cousin broke up with her boyfriend recently, she changed their baby's name from sophia to jojo.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Unusual or even weird names don't bother me nearly so much as ridiculous spellings of fairly common names, especially when they include an apostrophe. My niece had a student a couple of years ago whose name was Desti'knee. That's Destiny to you and me.

vCash
    Heard someone calling her daughters "chiffon" and "chevette" in a restaurant yesterday. Did a bit of a double take. Especially at "chevette". Those were crappy little cars.

And I once heard a woman calling a toddler "mylanta" in a grocery store line. I wanted to ask if "pepcid" and "rolaids" were at home.

Of course, having taught for 16 years, I encountered some crazy names there, too. A girl named "Sunny Dawn" because that was the time and weather when she was born...I never asked if there was a contingency plan to prevent her from being called "afternoon blizzard" or some such thing. There was a family where all the kids had the middle name Daniel for the dad and were called by both first and middle name. Including the girls. That seemed awkward and just a tad egotistical on his part. None were named for mom. I taught a girl named "Echo". A boy named Hank Williams who had a sister named JoBeth. A boy named "kodi" who was waiting to turn 18 and change the spelling that made people think he was a girl. It was bestowed on him by a mother who was disappointed to have her fourth boy.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    And I once heard a woman calling a toddler "mylanta" in a grocery store line. I wanted to ask if "pepcid" and "rolaids" were at home.
    that is too awful and funny.

I actually grew up with a girl who had a very difficult to pronounce Asian name that usually got rendered to "chiffon" (it started with an X). Eventually she started just telling people "you pronounce it like the fabric" because it was better than the other butcherings she got!

I have a friend whose little brother is named Ariel because his big sister (my friend) was obsessed with the Little Mermaid when he was born At least it is an accepted boys' name in some cultures...

vCash
    All of the above! I wouldn't do any seasons, days of the week or dorky soap opera names. Or if you have several kids, they end up being Trip, Tre, Torc and Tru. I once saw an Ugly Betty episode where they were spoofing "Tom, Katie and Baby Suri". It turned into, Tim, Carrie and Baby Chutney. I spluttered my tea! And I named my Maine Coon cat Chutney as a result. It suits him. All of these names seem to be much better for pets I think.

vCash
    La-a. Pronounced Ladasha. Really. The mother was upset with the school staff for not being able to pronounce it.

vCash
    Ringo Coyote. Fortunately, the father changed his mind to 'John Clark' when the child was actually born.

vCash
    Yeah, I've met a La-a too. It baffles me that that must mean that someone heard of someone named La-a and thought, "that's so awesome!" And more than one person, at that...

These are less inflammatory and are actual names, but I hate the names Myrtle, Ethel, and Mildred. I just see a short 80-year-old woman with white hair when I read or hear them and I would never name a child any of those names. I feel similarly about Dolores, but I would also see the Harry Potter character

And then there are pretty names that I could never use. I knew a Peyton once and every person around my parent's age would get a funny look on their face and start talking about how they could never name a child Peyton because of Peyton's Place. Which I haven't seen, so I don't get the reasoning behind it, but I've heard it so many times that I now have it firmly in my mind that I should never name a child Peyton Lolita is a beautiful name that I would never feel comfortable using, though I wish it didn't have that connotation.

vCash
    This site has a bunch of interesting ones: Tequila. Abeer, and Chardonnay to name a few. What are people thinking???

http://929nin.com/the-worst-baby-names-from-last-year/

vCash
    When I was announcing at a competiton we had one of the out-of-state skaters' mothers come storming up to us demanding to WATCH me write out how to say her daughter's name phonetically. "I won't have her embarassed by you saying her name wrong!"

The girl's name was said "Dee-ah-na." The spelling on our skater listing, the spelling of the name, was Dijianah. My immediate thought was "If you didn't want it mispronounced, why not spell it properly in the first place?!"

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    Neveah
    I think the name is Nevaeh, which is heaven spelled backwards. Of course some people can't spell and don't know better, like Oprah was from the bilblical name Orpah. I've seen a Disteny (ouch), Serinety (double ouch).

As for old lady names, I don't think some are ever coming back. My grandmother's name was Myrtle and even then she and everyone else didn't like it. Edna, Agnes, Gertrude, etc are never going to come back.

La-A? How in the world? I could understand if it was spelled La..a (la dots a). I've seen an Aquanetta.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 11-01-2012 at 03:12 AM.

vCash
    Good gawd you keep making me guffaw with these names. And PDilemma I don't know how you keep a straight face in the classroom sometimes.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    This site has a bunch of interesting ones: Tequila. Abeer, and Chardonnay to name a few. What are people thinking???

http://929nin.com/the-worst-baby-names-from-last-year/
    i worked with a girl who named her daughters chablis and chardonnay. it was the first thing she told everyone, like she couldnt wait for people to tell her how awesome her naming abilities were.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    I went to college with a guy named King James Version.

vCash
    I saw on the news once that there are these parents who love ESPN so much that they named their baby ... Espn.

And I when the local Toronto station CFMT anchor was jokingly contemplating on naming her kid Cfmt and had a discussion with her co-anchor on how to pronounce the name.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast