Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    living every minute
    vCash
    I cannot imagine how she has, as one article put it, 'shrugged off the pain of chronic tendinitis'. If it's in her Achilles tendon, as mine is, the pain is horrible !!!! It hobbles me and I can't walk properly. I'm getting extensive physio and shockwave ultrasound for the last month and it's still horrible.

Rachel: if you achieved everything you did and skated at such a high level for so long with that pain, then you deserve a crown, not just a medal!
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    I think it's a wise decision--no other remedy for her injuries than rest, rest, rest.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    I honestly think this is the end of her competitive career. Why bow out of Nationals over two months beforehand? Tendonitis isn't that serious, although it is recurring. It's not like she was an unmitigated disaster at SA. She just is obviously not at the top of her game due to growth, school, and training issues. She has nothing left to accomplish. She is a National Champion, World and Olympic team member and Grand Prix medalist. She has had a lovely career. Best of luck, Rachael!
    While I agree, I don't think she's really withdrawing from nationals; since she isn't competing at Ice Challenge, she no longer has a bye through Mids. So she isn't qualified to Nationals. Right?

vCash
    I wish her every success..

I somehow doubt we will see her again in a competitive arena. I think that perhaps she had mentally "moved" on. She didn't seem that upset with her placements etc... and they weren't what they used to be. The physical side may wind up being the final blow to her competitive career. However, I think she will be very successful as she moves forward. She seems well prepared with a good "life" outside the rink.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    While I agree, I don't think she's really withdrawing from nationals; since she isn't competing at Ice Challenge, she no longer has a bye through Mids. So she isn't qualified to Nationals. Right?
    Correct, but it's not like the creme of the crop is competing at Ice Challenge, so she probably could have done pretty well there even skating like she did in Kent.

I am not sure if she could have petitoned for a medical bye to Nationals, but it sounds like she knows the injury will take more than just a few months to heal and wanted to withdraw from both events in advance.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Tendonitis isn't that serious, although it is recurring.
    Obviously, you've never had tendonitis.

Best wishes to Rachael for a complete recovery.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Correct, but it's not like the creme of the crop is competing at Ice Challenge, so she probably could have done pretty well there even skating like she did in Kent.

I am not sure if she could have petitoned for a medical bye to Nationals, but it sounds like she knows the injury will take more than just a few months to heal and wanted to withdraw from both events in advance.
    Yeah, she could have competed decently, but probably with a ton of pain. :/

I am also pretty sure this is a retirement notice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Obviously, you've never had tendonitis.

Best wishes to Rachael for a complete recovery.
    I actually have had tendonitis and actually was a high level competitive figure skater. I don't know her exact injury, but it is very realistic for her to be back for Nationals even taking time off. It's not like she is having major surgery or anything. To me, it seems like this is her retiring without saying the words. Best wishes to her, though!

vCash
    Good Luck to Rachael. I have a mild form of tendonitis in one elbow, mine comes & goes but is no fun when it strikes.

vCash
    Do they even give medical byes anymore? I thought those went away a few years ago?

vCash
    Just saw this, and wanted to say thanks so very much Rachael for Skate America, you shine from within. Love love love your "Firebird"!

Take care, heal your injuries, enjoy school, and know that your fans will be here for you when you return to the ice.

HAVE A HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I don't know her exact injury, but it is very realistic for her to be back for Nationals even taking time off.
    She can't now unless she competes at Midwestern Sectionals and places among the top 4 Senior Ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Do they even give medical byes anymore? I thought those went away a few years ago?
    No more medical byes and yes, you are correct.

Best wishes to Rachael!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Such a shame. If she was skating now like she was at Olympics, she would be world champion.

However I think she has taken the road to having a normal life

vCash
    I hope she can relax now and have the time of her life at Stanford!!!!!

vCash
    I don't think she was holding back from anything at Stanford judging from the friends who went to Nationals last year, she seems very happy. I think she just finally realized that she has already done her best in years past, that the best might not return with age, and that more and more others are going to be passing her. In other words, she had a great run, and it's over, and life is good in front of her at college and in a career.

vCash
    I don't know her exact injury, but it is very realistic for her to be back for Nationals even taking time off. It's not like she is having major surgery or anything. - posted by Carriemarie

Exactly. You don't know her exact injury, and you are not her doctor. Rachael has taken time off in the past, felt healed, went back to training, only to have the injury flare up on her again. The location/ type of injury and they way people heal is different for everybody. You have zero idea that it would be realistic for her to be back for Nationals. Tendinitis in her and tendinitis in you could be and probably are two completely different injuries. If Raechel's is in her Achilles as rumored, she may need surgery eventually, especially if it doesn't heal on its own. Further, let's say she takes two months off to heal. That would only leave her about 5-6 weeks to prep for Nationals. It's not very realistic to get all triples back and be in tip top shape for Nationals all the while not re injuring herself.

Also, as others have stated, she does not have a bye to Nationals this year, and would either need to compete at her international or at Mids; both of which are occurring in the next couple weeks. No competition there means she cannot compete at Nationals.
    Last edited by carriecmu0503; 10-31-2012 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    I honestly think this is the end of her competitive career. Why bow out of Nationals over two months beforehand? Tendonitis isn't that serious, although it is recurring. It's not like she was an unmitigated disaster at SA. She just is obviously not at the top of her game due to growth, school, and training issues. She has nothing left to accomplish. She is a National Champion, World and Olympic team member and Grand Prix medalist. She has had a lovely career. Best of luck, Rachael!
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    I don't know her exact injury, but it is very realistic for her to be back for Nationals even taking time off. It's not like she is having major surgery or anything. - posted by Carriemarie

Exactly. You don't know her exact injury, and you are not her doctor. Rachael has taken time off in the past, felt healed, went back to training, only to have the injury flare up on her again. The location/ type of injury and they way people heal is different for everybody. You have zero idea that it would be realistic for her to be back for Nationals. Tendinitis in her and tendinitis in you could be and probably are two completely different injuries. If Raechel's is in her Achilles as rumored, she may need surgery eventually, especially if it doesn't heal on its own. Further, let's say she takes two months off to heal. That would only leave her about 5-6 weeks to prep for Nationals. It's not very realistic to get all triples back and be in tip top shape for Nationals all the while not re injuring herself.

Also, as others have stated, she does not have a bye to Nationals this year, and would either need to compete at her international or at Mids; both of which are occurring in the next couple weeks. No competition there means she cannot compete at Nationals.
    I am not going to argue about her injury or the logistics of her making Nationals. It is what it is. The point is you and I have zero idea what is going on, but I was just stating my thoughts on the subject. I never claimed to be Rachael's personal doctor. It may be the most serious case of tendonitis ever or it could just be a nagging recurring problem, that really isn't the point. If it is as serious as some are saying then maybe it is time for her to re-evaluate what is best for her long term health and it's most likely not going to be elite skating. If she is going to make a bid for the Olympics next year it is going to be tough, missing Nationals this year. She seems to have been dealing with this condition for some time and I believe if she was serious about competing this year she could have watered down her program for her senior B (and done decently), qualified for Nationals, and taken some time off and evaluated the situation after a month or so of rest. It's not like she was taking someone's spot in her bye to Nationals or withdrew in time for the US to send someone in her place to her International. USFSA has nearly passed her by and not competing this year is not going to help her cause.

She wants to skate for another year, that is up to her. I just don't think she has anything left to prove and realistically doesn't have a chance to improve her results in 2010. She can go wild and compete for the next eight years if she wants to, but she has ultimately had a very impressive career and has nothing left to prove in my eyes. I think that she will retire from the timing and tone of her statements. It's only my opinion and I am certainly not asking anyone to buy it, but I would be shocked if she skated in 2013-14. It's not a slam on Rachael. I can take or leave her skating, but I wish her the best. She seems like a lovely, intelligent lady and is going to be successful in whatever she chooses to do.
    Last edited by carriemarie; 11-01-2012 at 06:15 AM.

vCash
    Perhaps it's because she has nothing left to prove that she wants to continue, just for pleasure. Many people miss competing once they stop. I always liked her skating, it wasn't as horrible as some people say. Besides, you never know what happens. People give up on you and unexpectedly you medal or even win. And there won't be any 'what if' questions in her mind if she continues skating as long as she wants to. I wouldn't mind seeing her trying next season. Whatever she does, I hope she's in peace with her decision.

vCash
    Regardless of the extent of her injury or what Rachael is thinking in regard to her career, the fact that she had to chose between competing injured in the next few days and ending her entire season is pathetic. USFS's old-fashioned rules strike again. To grant a skater a bye through to Nationals because they are strong enough to be competing at an international competition during the week of Sectionals and then to say "never mind, no bye for you" and punish the skater when she's injured and needs to withdraw is absolutely ridiculous. When will USFS treat skating as an actual sport and realize that putting so much pressure on these skaters to compete injured or face really bad consequences is unnecessary, unsmart, and potentially unsafe? Rachael and anyone else who gets affected by these rules deserve better.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 11-01-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast