Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    This is really sad. I wish (((Alissa))) the best and hope she has a complete recovery.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    The speculation about Alissa's injury/motivation by the "FSU Critic's Circle" is inappropriate, IMO.
    When/if Alissa speaks, there might be reason to comment. Otherwise, not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    The speculation about Alissa's injury/motivation by the "FSU Critic's Circle" is inappropriate, IMO.
    When/if Alissa speaks, there might be reason to comment. Otherwise, not.
    This.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Poor Alissa! This is heartbreaking! I hope she knows how many people are thinking of her and hoping for a quick recovery.

vCash
    This is so sad. Prayer to recover quickly. I think triple jumps are so hard on the body.

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    Well I hope Alissa recovers enough so that she is able to walk without difficulty. Also recovers enough so that she doesn't have debilitating osteoarthritis when she's in her 30's/40's.
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Poor Alissa! This is heartbreaking! I hope she knows how many people are thinking of her and hoping for a quick recovery.
    THIS
    Wishing Alissa the best and for a full & speedy recovery.

vCash
    So sad! Wishing Alissa a speedy recovery...how unfortunate, and I really liked the new FS too, and her jumps looked good! I remember her sister Amber had to stop skating because of concurrent injuries, and that was back when they were teenagers, you wonder if she's just not built for the sport despite her obvious aptitude for it. I always wonder about athletes that are always getting injured. She does look quite fragile.

vCash
    So sad right now! ((((((((Alissa)))))))) She's been through so much these last few years. I feel for her.

I read something upthread about sending Alissa postcards from her FSU fans. I'm totally onboard. Maybe we could make it organized in some way? I'd love nothing more than to imagine Alissa getting loads of fanmail from FSUers.

PS: That program had the makings of a truly stunning LP and I'm sorry that we may never get to see the full thing. Alissa's just so beautiful on the ice...I'm so sad that all this stuff keeps dragging her down. Thanks for the vids, guys.

vCash
    The correct response is thus "best wishes for a speedy recovery", not "she's abusing her body for figure skating"
    "Correct response" ? Has Miss Manners arrived at FSU?

I would hope everyone wishes her a full recovery, but I also think it is probably fair to say that just about all skaters at this level are abusing their bodies for figure skating.

ITA with this poster:
    Well I hope Alissa recovers enough so that she is able to walk without difficulty. Also recovers enough so that she doesn't have debilitating osteoarthritis when she's in her 30's/40's.
    We have already seen way too many skaters with damaged joints and knee/hip replacements in their 40s. I also wish even more more for her long term health than whether she ever competes again.

vCash
    How awful.

It would be great if Alissa could come back next season and grab an Olympic spot, but more than anything, I wish a full recovery and good long-term health for her.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post

I would hope everyone wishes her a full recovery, but I also think it is probably fair to say that just about all skaters at this level are abusing their bodies for figure skating.
    Absolutely agree. Elite skaters and dancers for that matter do abuse their bodies. Recall Alexei Yagudin's quote that if he wakes up in the morning and nothing hurts, it means he died? Same Yagudin who had a hip replacement in his 20s. Studies show that ballet dancers have lower bone density than the general population, let alone injuries, arthritis and a multitude of other sacrifices.

We should be grateful that someone is willing to push their bodies to the limit for the sake of the beautiful sport that is figure skating. We get to enjoy the fruits of their exceptionally grueling labor.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    We should be grateful that someone is willing to push their bodies to the limit for the sake of the beautiful sport that is figure skating. We get to enjoy the fruits of their exceptionally grueling labor.
    Exactly. Speedy recovery to Alissa!

vCash
    Poor girl! I hope she take time for a full recovery and rest. Her heatlh is the most important.

vCash
    Oh, poor Alissa. I hope she heals quickly!

vCash
    I sent her a message through her official web site:

http://figureskatersonline.com/aliss.../site/contact/

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I read something upthread about sending Alissa postcards from her FSU fans. I'm totally onboard.
    If people would like to send a card or note of support via snail mail, here's the address:
    c/o Detroit Skating Club, 888 Denison Court, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Thanks for the address.

After watching the SP/LP, I'm wondering if the tendency for wonky landings were caused by the labral tear after all. The tear was fixed yet there was a strange 2 foot landing on the SP 3z and the potentially career-ending fall on the LP 3f. The tear can absolutely cause problems with non-jump elements as well, so I wonder if the tear caused her pain in non-jumps enough to get surgery, but still didn't fix her jumping issues.

Regardless, I wish her the best recovery.

vCash
    I am really worried this is it. A second injury and a second surgery in the same area of her body. At this point, I am just really hoping she can live the rest of her life pain free and be healthy enough to do some show skating.

Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    and you say I'm obnoxious...injuries are injuries, even if unrelated to each other...is it worth it for her to continue to damage her hip?
    Elite level sport is extremely damaging to the body. Pretty much every single skater I know is battling (or has battled while they still competed) with constant injuries and pain is something they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I sent her a message through her official web site:

http://figureskatersonline.com/aliss.../site/contact/
    Thank you for sharing the link. Sent her a message of support.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast