Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    vCash
    She was having back cramps prior to the GPF which kept her off the ice for a week. Maybe things are just mushrooming for her health wise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    She was having back cramps prior to the GPF which kept her off the ice for a week. Maybe things are just mushrooming for her health wise.
    I know about the problems with her back. And, yes, I understand that it can be quite difficult if problems occur one after another. Still, she has not said anything about quitting yet, and for now I see no reason to speculate on this.

vCash
    On Saturday, a high-profile skater sustained a serious injury in a very public setting, with video of the incident quickly posted on the web. My goal in posting here was to convey the information that was given to me by a first-hand source: confirmation of the rumor that Czisny had dislocated her hip and reassurance that Czisny-the-person was okay. My source used the word "surgery," which is quite plausible for a dislocated hip, and I didn't question that. As it turns out, I think the person to whom I spoke conflated "surgery" and "procedure" (and has continued to use the word "surgery" to describe the procedure...). My intentions were good (and my source reliable, if poorly versed in medical-talk!), but my words resulted in a perception that the injury required an open reduction (which was my impression until the press release). I want to apologize that my post was in inadvertently misleading. I only post things that I believe to be 100% accurate and it's been bothering me that I wasn't. I try to take responsibility when I find out that a post wasn't 100% accurate in part so that people will trust my words in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Oh god it's not even OBO.

Total waste of time for everybody involved.

I mean if you're not actually getting judged and getting your elements called, you might as well send a YT link to various judges to get feedback.
    Different skaters compete for different reasons. A skater like Czisny receives no benefit from having her elements called and receiving PCS. She benefits from sleeping in a bed that's not her own, eating food that's not from her kitchen, warming up in a space that's not her usual, and doing her program not-at-11AM [i.e., dealing with the uncertainties and bug-a-boos of a competition; also, I have no idea what time of day she trains, but the idea is: you know the 11AM session starts at 11AM every day, but your 2:20PM competition event might start at 2:01PM or 2:41PM or 8:20PM (that was the worst Regionals ever...]. Czisny can miss a level on a spin, but it tends to be a one-off thing like she's a few beats behind her music and trying to catch up. A skater like, say, Abbott needs to get his spins called in competition because he constantly miscounts under the adrenaline of competition (but not in practice). A skater like... um, Sally Skater needs to be judged and have her elements called because her coach tells her every day that she's short on spins and her flip changes edge and she doesn't listen to him, so she needs to hear it from a judge. Czisny just needed to put her dress on in a rink that wasn't her own and see how it went. She chose a competition at which her extended family could see her skate and at which she could be monitored by her former monitor, a World judge/Olympic alternate judge. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any competition in the first two weeks of January that would have had a National-level technical panel because everyone's packing for 11 days in Nebraska. (Eleven days. In NEBRASKA.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    I am sad for Alissa, but - what is this? Why should anyone think that Korpi might end her competitive career because of this? Her Achilles tendon is inflamed, not torn. Surgery is not needed for that, and I believe that with the right treatment Korpi could be ready for Worlds. Of course, she has to be careful, as this seems to be her weak spot. It's better not to overdo, putting too much stress on the tendon.

Anyway, Korpi was at the Finnish Sport's Gala two days ago, and there was a video interview with her and Stephane Lambiel (he was there to promote the 'Art on Ice' show which will be in Helsinki for the first time this February). The interviewer asked Stephane to wish something to Kiira for Sochi, and nothing indicated that she doesn't intend to compete there.

I just read this about Korpi's injury, and the first thing I thought of was my beloved French Team of Abitbol & Bernadis. Sarah Abitbol literally tore her achilles tendon just a month prior to the 2002 Olympics, working on that darn throw 3axel, and it literally ended her career.

Here's hoping Korpi's achilles is only inflamed, not torn, because if the latter her career is over imho.

vCash
    I am sad for Alissa, but - what is this? Why should anyone think that Korpi might end her competitive career because of this?
    Are you asking me? If so, wrong choice.
    I have no idea how relatively good or potentially bad her conditions are, I don't know what Korpi is thinking, and I haven't made any speculations, just reported others'.

The interviewer asked Stephane to wish something to Kiira for Sochi, and nothing indicated that she doesn't intend to compete there.
    Good: as I said, I love Korpi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I just read this about Korpi's injury, and the first thing I thought of was my beloved French Team of Abitbol & Bernadis. Sarah Abitbol literally tore her achilles tendon just a month prior to the 2002 Olympics, working on that darn throw 3axel, and it literally ended her career.

Here's hoping Korpi's achilles is only inflamed, not torn, because if the latter her career is over imho.
    Didn't Hongbo Zhao tear his achilles tendon? After a year off the ice he came back just as strong and eventually won the gold. Everybody is different and the snippets of information we are given are nothing compared to the information actually provided to these athletes. Why anyone starts predicting end of people's careers based on the limited information we have is beyond me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Didn't Hongbo Zhao tear his achilles tendon? After a year off the ice he came back just as strong and eventually won the gold. Everybody is different and the snippets of information we are given are nothing compared to the information actually provided to these athletes. Why anyone starts predicting end of people's careers based on the limited information we have is beyond me.
    ^This

None of us are treating Kiira (or Alissa) or any other injured athlete - if we were, we wouldn't be at liberty to discuss their condition anyway

It's not about NadineWhite's post which as far as I can tell, wasn't meant that way, but posts which generally conclude "well, he/she has this injury, so that must mean their career is over, I'm so sad for them not really no" are getting old very quickly as they have very little ground to make that kind of conclusion. There are various degrees to an injury that we are simply not made aware of, and even if two people have the exact same injury to the exact same degree, their body may react very differently to rehabilitation - some people will overcome it completely, others will never be able to compete again, with all kinds of various degrees of success in between

So maybe before burying athletes, we should just give them the space and time they need to try to recover and see where they can take it from there....

vCash
    All the articles I have read, say it is an inflammation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    What Iceman wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    All the articles I have read, say it is an inflammation.

vCash
    There's discussion of Korpi's injury in the Finnish skating news thread : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...part-II/page40

Quote Originally Posted by 5Ali3 View Post
    On Saturday, a high-profile skater sustained a serious injury in a very public setting, with video of the incident quickly posted on the web. My goal in posting here was to convey the information that was given to me by a first-hand source: confirmation of the rumor that Czisny had dislocated her hip and reassurance that Czisny-the-person was okay. My source used the word "surgery," which is quite plausible for a dislocated hip, and I didn't question that. As it turns out, I think the person to whom I spoke conflated "surgery" and "procedure" (and has continued to use the word "surgery" to describe the procedure...). My intentions were good (and my source reliable, if poorly versed in medical-talk!), but my words resulted in a perception that the injury required an open reduction (which was my impression until the press release). I want to apologize that my post was in inadvertently misleading. I only post things that I believe to be 100% accurate and it's been bothering me that I wasn't. [B]I try to take responsibility when I find out that a post wasn't 100% accurate in part so that people will trust my words in the future.
    Thanks for clarifying how the word "surgery" made it into your post. Speaking only for myself, I knew your intentions were good and I (still) consider you to be a credible source.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-18-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Are you asking me? If so, wrong choice.
    I have no idea how relatively good or potentially bad her conditions are, I don't know what Korpi is thinking, and I haven't made any speculations, just reported others'.
    No, I was not necessarily refering to you, but to those who were saying that (according to you). And that question was not really meant for answering.

Actually this was posted in the 'Finnish skating news' thread already a week ago, but I just hadn't noticed it:

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    A thread has already been posted in the 2013 Europeans forum in Kiss and Cry but here's a Finnish news article that confirms that Kiira Korpi has withdrawn from Euros due to injury ("inflammation of the Achilles tendon") and will be replaced by Alisa Mikonsaari: http://yle.fi/urheilu/kiira_korpi_ei...lemaan/6443474
    Korpi said she is recovering and her goal is to be ready for Worlds.
    So, hopefully other people here who think that Korpi might "call it a career", will see it, and end all speculation about her quitting.

P.S.: It turns out that Sylvia was quicker than me .
    Last edited by lauravvv; 01-18-2013 at 04:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Ali3 View Post
    On Saturday, a high-profile skater sustained a serious injury in a very public setting, with video of the incident quickly posted on the web. My goal in posting here was to convey the information that was given to me by a first-hand source: confirmation of the rumor that Czisny had dislocated her hip and reassurance that Czisny-the-person was okay. My source used the word "surgery," which is quite plausible for a dislocated hip, and I didn't question that. As it turns out, I think the person to whom I spoke conflated "surgery" and "procedure" (and has continued to use the word "surgery" to describe the procedure...). My intentions were good (and my source reliable, if poorly versed in medical-talk!), but my words resulted in a perception that the injury required an open reduction (which was my impression until the press release). I want to apologize that my post was in inadvertently misleading. I only post things that I believe to be 100% accurate and it's been bothering me that I wasn't. I try to take responsibility when I find out that a post wasn't 100% accurate in part so that people will trust my words in the future.
    No need to apologise. Mistakes happen. We are really grateful that posters like you let the others know what is going on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    No need to apologise. Mistakes happen. We are really grateful that posters like you let the others know what is going on.
    This. And also there's nothing but relief that Alissa's injury appears to be less than originally thought. It's way better than the other way around.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    No, I was not necessarily refering to you
    Since you quoted me, you could see how I considered that possibility.

but to those who were saying that (according to you).
    I read those speculations on this board, I think it was in the Europeans section.

And that question was not really meant for answering.
    Rhetorical questions are insidious like that: sometimes they get answered.

vCash
    Good example of Hongbo Zhao, totally forgot about that!

As for predicting end of careers, puleeeze, it's a f'ing message board full of opinions, that's it, no more no less, and nobody has to be anybody's personal physician to offer an opinion. Geeze...

vCash
    Hongbo Zhao was also 10 times the competitor that Alissa will ever be.. He probably still was experiencing some kind of discomfort even when he won gold... That same amount of discomfort would be a total distraction to Alissa..

vCash
    Actually, if anything, it would help to distract her from her nerves.

And I disagree with your assertion about Zhao and Alissa.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    IIRC, it wasn't just torn, but completely blown and rather badly at that. If he can come back from that to win an Olympic Gold Medal w/Zue, then anything is possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    Hongbo Zhao was also 10 times the competitor that Alissa will ever be.. He probably still was experiencing some kind of discomfort even when he won gold... That same amount of discomfort would be a total distraction to Alissa..

To be fair this isn't about Alissa, rather Kira Korpi, whom is the one that sustained the achilles heel injury. But I agree with you about Hongbo Zhao.

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    IIRC, it wasn't just torn, but completely blown and rather badly at that. If he can come back from that to win an Olympic Gold Medal w/Zue, then anything is possible.

To me Hongbo Zhao was & is the "Real Steel": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-vGm2XRWI

Lastly, sorry to say (being a female myself), the girls just don't have wait it takes. They're not Evgeni Plushenko nor Hongbo Zhao, nor are Johnny Weir & Evan Lysacek. Those two men are extraordinary athletes, simply put, extraordinary, their threshold of pain must be inhuman.

Others have tried to come back, Michelle in 2006, Sasha in 2010, but only the aforementioned men actually made it. Fact.

REAL STEEL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post

So maybe before burying athletes, we should just give them the space and time they need to try to recover and see where they can take it from there....

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast