Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Via @SarahandDrew's Twitter yesterday: "Heard from Alissa - she says she appreciates the support. "
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

A high school senior would be 17-18, and I would assume starting a semester early would allow him to take part in spring practices, and he might turn 19 by the time the season starts. BTW, a lot of college football players are redshirted their freshman year (they can't play, but still practice and go to class). Most college quarterbacks are probably in their early 20s, you don't see a lot of true freshmen in that position.
    Thx for the info. Still feels young.

Anyway, on topic, I still feel sad thinking of Alissa, I had looked forward to see her have a great comeback from injury at nationals

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Alissa Czisny has officially withdrawn from Nationals - press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48878&type=media
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Alissa Czisny has officially withdrawn from Nationals - press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48878&type=media
    (((Alissa and Alissa fans)))

They did not mention another surgery in this article, so maybe that is good news? (Or maybe it's just wishful thinking? )
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    USFS' press releases usually contain a minimum amount of info. If a Czisny article shows up with new information and/or direct quotes, a new/separate thread probably should be started in GSD.

vCash
    Jason and Yuka's decision to enter her in a competition before Nationals and/or compete at all with an unstable hip makes me question their judgment. There are other skaters who they have coached in the past for whom their decisions around physical status, IMO are circumspect.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Jason and Yuka's decision to enter her in a competition before Nationals and/or compete at all with an unstable hip makes me question their judgment. There are other skaters who they have coached in the past for whom their decisions around physical status, IMO are circumspect.
    A lot of skaters test their programs to get feed back on their levels. Alissa used to always do a summer event before the GPs besides Champs Camp, so I don't think this has anything to do with her coaching situation.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    ??? circumspect = cautious, prudent, or discreet
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Remember that Alissa Czisny told Phil Hersh after her WD from NHK Trophy in November that she was hoping to compete once before Nationals:
    After withdrawing from NHK, Alissa Czisny just texted me [Hersh posted via Twitter]: "I have no doubts whatsoever I will be ready and prepared for nationals"

"Withdrawal mostly a matter of not being able/wanting to push hip to prepare in time. Absolutely can't risk any setbacks"

"We are looking for a competition before nationals (even something local would be helpful)"

vCash
    I don't think Alissa had anything to gain by skating this season. She is respected internationally as well as at home and even taking the year off she still would have had a chance to make it to Sochi if she got it together. Even after the disaster at Worlds this year if she came out with guns blazing next season she would get big scores being as she's so well known and liked as a skater. So taking an extra few months off might have been the thing to do. Of course if a hip is going to go out it probably would have at some pont next season so who knows.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The Monday morning quarterbacks can postulate all they want. Clearly, she felt she was ready. The programs were well choreographed and she's obviously been skating them. None of you know why her hip dislocated. You aren't her physician, haven't seen the CT scan or even know if this injury was a direct consequence of her previous injury. It was her choice to skate.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The Monday morning quarterbacks can postulate all they want. Clearly, she felt she was ready. The programs were well choreographed and she's obviously been skating them. None of you know why her hip dislocated. You aren't her physician, haven't seen the CT scan or even know if this injury was a direct consequence of her previous injury. It was her choice to skate.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Oh dear, what sad news. Wishing Alissa the best for a full recovery and happy future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't think Alissa had anything to gain by skating this season. She is respected internationally as well as at home and even taking the year off she still would have had a chance to make it to Sochi if she got it together. Even after the disaster at Worlds this year if she came out with guns blazing next season she would get big scores being as she's so well known and liked as a skater. So taking an extra few months off might have been the thing to do. Of course if a hip is going to go out it probably would have at some pont next season so who knows.
    I wonder why she felt compelled to compete so quickly.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Because she felt she was ready?

ETA:

23rd Annual Fox Cities Invitational Results (6.0 judging)

Senior Ladies Championship
    Standings for the Short Program
    Place Name 1 2 3 4 5 Maj. Tie Br. FP
    1. Alissa Czisny, Detroit SC 1 1 1 1 1 5/1 0.5
    2. Rachel Lenz, Valley FSC 2 2 2 2 2 5/2 1.0

Last Updated: Sun, Jan 13, 2013, 07:31AM (Competition local time)

There were national and international judges on hand to provide IJS feedback to Czisny.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-14-2013 at 10:05 PM.

vCash
    Why? Most athletes want to get back out there as soon as they feel able- it's just their competitive nature. Same reason she went to worlds, same reason Flatt competed with injury, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I wonder why she felt compelled to compete so quickly.
    And because she wanted to get both programs out in front of an audience and judges for feedback? And because she felt ready.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Are you serious? Hindsight is 20/20. Perhaps she felt ready and strong, how would you know she didn't? Perhaps her physicians had cleared her to skate, which is very likely. I don't see her skating in spite of physician orders. However, surgery does distabilze the hip pretty much forever so this injury could have happened now or a year from now. Do you have any evidence that these extra months off would have made a difference?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    23rd Annual Fox Cities Invitational Results (6.0 judging)

Senior Ladies Championship
    Standings for the Short Program
    Place Name 1 2 3 4 5 Maj. Tie Br. FP
    1. Alissa Czisny, Detroit SC 1 1 1 1 1 5/1 0.5
    2. Rachel Lenz, Valley FSC 2 2 2 2 2 5/2 1.0
    And she competed in a OBO event as well?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Small club competitions in the U.S. often use majority ordinal judging (6.0, not OBO), plus this is considered "off-season." As I posted above, there were national and international judges on hand to give Czisny feedback on her programs.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-14-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast