Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Aaaaaaand the drama gets going again. *Sigh* Guys, no need to get on each other's cases over people's opinions of Alissa's decisions. I think we've all seen these situations enough times to know that fan opinion is merely speculation and that no amount of law school, business school, med school, psych training, skating training or, for that matter, competence in dealing with others, is required to be all-knowing in skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    And she competed in a OBO event as well?
    We do not know what went on.
    The sad truth is, everybody's different and has a different response to injury.
    I hear all the time, both professionally and in University setting: "Oh, such and such pianist got tendinitis because of bad technique; such and such singer performed too much and did not rest enough and is now ruined". The bottom line is, sometimes it is true and preventable by proper maintenance, sometimes it is just bad luck and body structure. And nobody on the outside ( or sometimes even on the inside) can truly know. Any reason Yagudin could not continue past 2002 and Plushenko is still going? Not really. Body structure. Daily decisions. Most of all- O Fortuna.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    ??? circumspect = cautious, prudent, or discreet
    sk9tingfan probably meant to say "suspicious".

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    What the hell am I gonna do with all this asparagus?!?!!

Screw the skate gods!!! They ain't gettin' any!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Alissa Czisny has officially withdrawn from Nationals - press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48878&type=media
    I knew this was coming but seeing it in print still makes me sad

vCash
    Yagudin had a congenital defect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Was all of the music "Gone with the Wind"? I really didn't recognize the first half as GWTW.
    I believe the first half of Czisny's FS included music from "Ice Palace Suite" (derived from the score of the 1960 film, Ice Palace) composed by Max Steiner, who also composed the score for GWTW.

Still perplexed as to why she was secretive about it.
    I thought Czisny merely declined to announce her music before Nationals - from the Jan. 3rd article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "My long program is choreographed by Marina Zoueva, and I really enjoy skating this program! (Author's note: Czisny hasn't announced her free skate music yet, and she wants to try to keep it quiet until the U.S. championships.)"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Alissa (or her team...) is incredibly classy- I already have a short but gracious reply in my inbox thanking me for my well wishes. That is an extremely fast response (she -or someone- has always replied to messages from her website, but I never expected less than 24 hour turn around)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Alissa (or her team...) is incredibly classy- I already have a short but gracious reply in my inbox thanking me for my well wishes. That is an extremely fast response (she -or someone- has always replied to messages from her website, but I never expected less than 24 hour turn around)
    Me, too. I really hope good fortune shines on her. To think what she has been through, and now, if she is able to return in the future, go through it all again.

vCash
    Me three. Wishing her all the best whatever the future holds.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Jason and Yuka's decision to enter her in a competition before Nationals and/or compete at all with an unstable hip makes me question their judgment. There are other skaters who they have coached in the past for whom their decisions around physical status, IMO are circumspect.
    That word does not mean what you think it means.

Alissa is an adult. She's also very experienced. If she felt she was ready, then she felt she was ready. I can sympathise with her. She wanted to go back. And so she decided to. Whether that was the right decision or not, well, that's up in the air. It doesn't sound like the new injury is related to the old one.

There is something in this world called BAD LUCK. Some people don't have much of it, some people get an unfairly large allotment of it. With all due respect, guys, sh*t happens. It's awful that it happened and I feel terrible for her, but I don't think accusing her coaches of pushing her too early is helpful, nor do I think questioning her judgement is helpful at this point.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    She is probably laid up after her reduction, poor thing.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I noted there was no mention of "surgery" in today's USFS press release, so maybe we should wait for additional information to be officially released.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sometimes surgery is necessary to perform an open reduction but you are right, judging from the press release, sounds like it was closed.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Jason and Yuka's decision to enter her in a competition before Nationals and/or compete at all with an unstable hip makes me question their judgment. There are other skaters who they have coached in the past for whom their decisions around physical status, IMO are circumspect.
    How is this competition unwise judgement? If she went straight to nationals, she would have been even more out of practice, and had the horrible fall in front of the entire country. At least not many people saw it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Sometimes surgery is necessary to perform an open reduction but you are right, judging from the press release, sounds like it was closed.
    Is closed better than open?
    Creating drama!

vCash
    I am not qualified to say anything here, but you guys jumped into some other language, does closed verses open reduction mean reversal of the dislocation with or without surgery.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    . Studies show that ballet dancers have lower bone density than the general population, let alone injuries, arthritis and a multitude of other sacrifices.
    Ballet dancers do a lot of bad things to their bodies, but the connection between lower bone density and the physical act of dancing ballet is not conclusive. The latest research shows that stomping increases bone density, and, logically, the amount of landings they do might increase bone density, whereas other research shows that girls who begin to smoke in adolescence have lower bone density than girls who don't. Given the historic prevalence of smoking among dancers starting young and continuing citing weight control, smoking may be the main connection.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I am not qualified to say anything here, but you guys jumped into some other language, does closed verses open reduction mean reversal of the dislocation with or without surgery.
    Yes. Open means surgical. I only know that b/c my broken leg surgery was officially called "open reduction and internal fixation". The reduction was the alignment of the bone and the fixation was the rod and screws. In Alissa's case, I assume reduction refers to the alignment of her hip. Maybe surgery wasn't needed...hopefully.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Ballet dancers do a lot of bad things to their bodies, but the connection between lower bone density and the physical act of dancing ballet is not conclusive. The latest research shows that stomping increases bone density, and, logically, the amount of landings they do might increase bone density, whereas other research shows that girls who begin to smoke in adolescence have lower bone density than girls who don't. Given the historic prevalence of smoking among dancers starting young and continuing citing weight control, smoking may be the main connection.
    Isn't delayed menarche (something that is not uncommon in ballet dancers due to calorie deprivation) also associated with lower bone density?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast