• Czisny

10 6.80%
  • Zawadzki

6 4.08%
  • Zhang

3 2.04%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Could be anyone of them. If zawadski was able to put 2 clean programs together I would bet on her to make it. But we haven't seen a successful long program from her in a while. Obviously Gao put together a good performance at skate America but she has fallen apart many times. I wouldn't put any money on czisny or zhang. gold and Nagasu have the technical ability but they still have to pull it off

Obviously too early to predict anything but it really comes down to who lands the triples on the day, that includes Wagner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Obviously too early to predict anything but it really comes down to who lands the triples on the day, that includes Wagner
    I still say Ashley's spot is locked, especially after Skate America. Even if she has an off night at nationals, the judges know what she's capable of. Plus the favor she has with the international judges is invaluable and not easy to come by.

Plus, she's proven she's a tough and reliable competitor and that reputation grows stronger with every competition she does well at. Ashley's been the most consistent US lady since Rachael back in 2009 & 2010. That's not to say she won't have an off night b/c she will (everyone does) but an off night by her is much more forgivable than an off night for anyone else b/c Ashley's the only one who has established herself as a consistent and reliable competitor.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Based off what we have seen this year I would say Nagasu or Gao but it is still way to early. Gold has been less than impressive as a senior skater (the US B marks were inflated for both Agnes and Gracie). As a junior you can forgive the presentation but skating on the same ice as the seniors makes her stick out like a sore thumb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    As a junior you can forgive the presentation but skating on the same ice as the seniors makes her stick out like a sore thumb.
    Very, very true.

vCash
    I hope Nagasu makes it to Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I still say Ashley's spot is locked
    I'm almost certain that yes Ashley will get her spot to worlds this year. but still, people have there bad days, and nationals could be one of them. If Ashley were to have an aweful skate, I'm sure all these ladies will fight to take her spot.

Obviously yes the way she is skating atm it is almost certain that Ashley will make it to worlds, but it is not 100% guaranteed

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I think it's a mistake to ever consider anyone a lock at Nationals. (A safer bet, maybe... a lock, probably not.)

I don't think early in the season that most people would have predicted Weir to end up 5th at Nationals in '09 after medalling at Worlds the season before, or McLaughlin/Brubaker not making the Olympic team (also ending up 5th) in 2010.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Very interesting question. I would say that the following skaters could be the US #2 lady, but they all come with a caveat. In fact, all things equal, I would put their chances at #2 in the following order:

1. Gold - Recent competitions would suggest she is more of a work-in-progress rather than a sequined steamroller. I think if she gets it together by Rostelecom next week and performs like she did at '12 JW, she will be the best bet for #2 US lady. Otherwise, she will be in a position where she must prove herself at Nationals along Nagasu, Zawadzki and Czisny.

2. Nagasu - She has had too many ups and downs to be counted on as #2 US lady outright. Cup of China is her only chance to grab the pole position as #2 US lady and she will be under a lot of pressure to do so. The clock is ticking. She definitely has the talent to do so. That was never in dispute. IF she just stays upright at CoC, she could score in the mid 170s and give herself a boost.

3. Zawadzki - She is still having the same issues this year: Incredible in the SP, and save for the SLC event in September, a disaster in the LP. Unless she improves her LP, I doubt she will be considered as the #2 US lady regardless of how big of a lead she can grab in the SP. She needs to be solid in her LP in the upcoming events.

4. Gao - Great start at SA, but she also needs to prove herself at the next GP event. IMO, SA didn't put her in as the #2 US lady but it did give her an even shot at it alongside Gold, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Czisny.

5. Czisny - Consider that she is and always will be a fragile performer in addition to her disastrous performance at '12 Worlds. I give her the smallest chance to be the #2 US lady. She only has 1 shot at NHK to show herself and that will be her debut performance, rust and all.

Zhang is better overall now, but she has been a bit subpar in competitions this season. Additionally, I don't see Zhang as being the USFSA's 'type' to qualify for Worlds as the #2 US lady. But, I admire her scrap and if others are a disaster, she could surprise!!

There are some Juniors in the mix but none will make it to the 2d spot on the podium, not this year.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Very interesting question. I would say that the following skaters could be the US #2 lady, but they all come with a caveat. In fact, all things equal, I would put their chances at #2 in the following order:

1. Gold - Recent competitions would suggest she is more of a work-in-progress rather than a sequined steamroller. I think if she gets it together by Rostelecom next week and performs like she did at '12 JW, she will be the best bet for #2 US lady. Otherwise, she will be in a position where she must prove herself at Nationals along Nagasu, Zawadzki and Czisny.

2. Nagasu - She has had too many ups and downs to be counted on as #2 US lady outright. Cup of China is her only chance to grab the pole position as #2 US lady and she will be under a lot of pressure to do so. The clock is ticking. She definitely has the talent to do so. That was never in dispute. IF she just stays upright at CoC, she could score in the mid 170s and give herself a boost.

3. Zawadzki - She is still having the same issues this year: Incredible in the SP, and save for the SLC event in September, a disaster in the LP. Unless she improves her LP, I doubt she will be considered as the #2 US lady regardless of how big of a lead she can grab in the SP. She needs to be solid in her LP in the upcoming events.

4. Gao - Great start at SA, but she also needs to prove herself at the next GP event. IMO, SA didn't put her in as the #2 US lady but it did give her an even shot at it alongside Gold, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Czisny.

5. Czisny - Consider that she is and always will be a fragile performer in addition to her disastrous performance at '12 Worlds. I give her the smallest chance to be the #2 US lady. She only has 1 shot at NHK to show herself and that will be her debut performance, rust and all.

Zhang is better overall now, but she has been a bit subpar in competitions this season. Additionally, I don't see Zhang as being the USFSA's 'type' to qualify for Worlds as the #2 US lady. But, I admire her scrap and if others are a disaster, she could surprise!!

There are some Juniors in the mix but none will make it to the 2d spot on the podium, not this year.
    Don't forget Angela Wang! She made it to JGP Final and had some excellent performances so far this season, and verified triple-triples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Don't forget Angela Wang! She made it to JGP Final and had some excellent performances so far this season, and verified triple-triples.
    I doubt Wang will get the PCS necessary to place in the top 2 at Nats unless a vast majority of the above contenders really don't skate well at Nationals and she does. I think Angela could definitely sneak onto the podium, but if she does, I bet it will be 3rd or 4th place. I would have thought Cesario might have a chance if she had qualified for the JGPF, but where she didn't and had to withdraw from her 2nd event, and seems to be battling an injury yet again, I think she's in the same boat as Wang. Plus she hasn't competed at Nationals in 2 years and the last time she did she was a no-name skater who placed 14th.

Caroline has improved but she still needs to land all her jumps to have a shot, her PCS aren't great and besides her layback her spins don't garner as much GOE as they used to or as much as someone like Czisny or Nagasu. Even with great skates, she might need help from some of the other ladies to end up 2nd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    She had some wonderful moments at Nationals last year, but this year we are adding in Gold, H. Miller, a 2nd year surging Wang, possibly Cesario, an improved Gao, Hicks, and Keiser, all of whom skate with much more speed and excitement than Caroline. To try to imagine a scenario where she deservedly finishes 2nd at Nationals, kind of means a nightmare competition all around- sorry but she is just way too slow. There's also Lam, Cain, and Siraj to consider (not for 2nd place, but IMO they are as good as Zhang).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Even with great skates, she might need help from some of the other ladies to end up 2nd.
    I would say that is a major understatement. Would love to see Caroline finally qualify for a Worlds if it happened, but it would require the competition of her life and a competition that pretty much amounts to a total splatfest, and even then have to wait IF the judges choose to give her the nod or not in that case.

Whatever happens though I do admire her greatly for her determined comeback and what she managed to get back to last season after how far she had sunk. The fact she managed to return to being a contender again is amazing in itself. I am not sure if her comeback will end up ever going further than where it reached last season or not though.

The thing that will help all these women is if Wagner and whoever regain 3 spots for the U.S ladies back. Granted that would probably leaved only 1 spot to fight for, as whoever helps Wagner get the U.S 3 spots back would almost be ensured an Olympic team spot barring a meltdown at next years Nationals. The USFSA would have enornmous confidence in whichever duo did for the U.S what it has taken them years to do again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    She had some wonderful moments at Nationals last year, but this year we are adding in Gold, H. Miller, a 2nd year surging Wang, possibly Cesario, an improved Gao, Hicks, and Keiser, all of whom skate with much more speed and excitement than Caroline. To try to imagine a scenario where she deservedly finishes 2nd at Nationals, kind of means a nightmare competition all around- sorry but she is just way too slow. There's also Lam, Cain, and Siraj to consider (not for 2nd place, but IMO they are as good as Zhang).
    Except she did back up her strong Nationals with a solid bronze at 4CCs, only placing behind Wagner and Asada, and ahead of Zawadzki, and also Murakami and Kexin Zhang who placed top ten at Worlds.

Unless proven otherwise in the GPs, I am ready to count out Zawadzki and Czisny. When they implode, they really implode. Too much is on the line for either of them to be sent in my opinion. When Nagasu, Gold, Gao, or Zhang implode, they usually could still pull off 3 to 4 triples and perhaps salvage a bottom top 10, if their short program was good enough. Wang might not have the PCS of the top group, but it is possible that she could make it up on TES.

Right now, I would assume Wagner pretty safely has the first spot. The second spot shall be awarded to one of Nagasu, Gold, Gao, Zhang and Wang. Gao and Wang have already skated well so far this season, Nagasu and Gold might have medalled at senior Bs but still have much to prove. Zhang has a LOT to prove. My money is on Gold.

vCash
    Can someone answer something for me...

Doesn't the USFSA always pick the top two at nats if it's two spots, or top three if it's three spots etc. I know that they say that they deliberate to make the decision, but from what I've seen, they always just pick their top finishers. Is this true?

I'm Canadian so I'm not really in the loop when it comes to US Figure Skating haha. I wish they would take more factors into consideration if they don't factor in other things than nats placement.

vCash
    The U.S does pretty much always send the top finishers from Nationals to Worlds. However the skaters they favor go a long way to the scores at Nationals as last year when Czisny melted down and still placed 2nd when she probably should have been 5th or 6th reflects. Unfortunately for Czisny I doubt her favor with the USFSA is anything like last season, in fact she is more likely to receive Flatt treatment this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    My money is on Gold.
    Make sure you keep your receipt!

It remains to be seen if Gracie has what it takes to compete at a high level. She sort of bombed her first test. She's going to need a stellar skate at her next event as well as nationals to prove to the judges she has some sort of consistency where her performances are concerned. How many strong juniors have we seen unravel when they hit the big stage?

I find Gracie average to weak in other areas of her skating, but who knows? Maybe she'll do what Mirai did in 2010 and come alive at nationals. Mirai had been pretty average on the GP that year but at nationals she looked like an entirely different skater. Maybe Gracie will have that kind of transformation...

The good thing for Gracie is it won't be the end of the world if she doesn't make the world team. I think the time to develop might do her some good b/c she's nowhere near where she needs to be to compete with the likes of Mao, Carolina, Yu-Na, Akiko, Ashley or any of the other senior ladies when it comes to overall PCS. Her SS are good and her TR are great but she falls short everywhere else. She needs time to mature as a performer in order to compete at that level...assuming SC was just a fluke in terms of her jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The U.S does pretty much always send the top finishers from Nationals to Worlds. However the skaters they favor go a long way to the scores at Nationals as last year when Czisny melted down and still placed 2nd when she probably should have been 5th or 6th reflects. Unfortunately for Czisny I doubt her favor with the USFSA is anything like last season, in fact she is more likely to receive Flatt treatment this year.
    Yes I am aware of the Nats judging situation... Thanks for clearing that up

I suspect Flatt treatment for Czisny, and I hope that whoever performs the best out of Mirai and Christina gets the 2nd spot (no politics in the choice, just fair judging). Unless Christina goes lights out at her next grand prix too (in which case they can prop her up all they want at Nats ) I could live with GGold but ONLY if she proves her capabilities at her next GP, even so, she's a sketchy choice imo.

vCash
    I chalk up Gao's inconsistency to her changing height. Her jumping technique has always been beautiful (except for her wonky double axel). But she always looked too skinny and too tall for herself; until now.

vCash
    I really, really hope it's Mirai!

Gao is my second bet. <3

vCash
    Mirai is to inconsistent and doesn't handle pressure well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast