10 6.80%
  • Zawadzki

6 4.08%
  • Zhang

3 2.04%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who would you pick for 2nd U.S ladie sspot to Worlds along with Wager

I know it is early but at this point who would be your pick as the most likely to make the 2 women U.S team for Worlds along with Wagner this year. Barring an epic meltdown Wager will definitely make the 2 women team and almost certainly defend her title. However the other spot seems fairly open at the moment with alot of people vying. Gold, Zawadzki, Gao, would be my most likely candidates now but there are probably some who view Zhang, Czisny, or Nagasu as having a chance also.

vCash
    all of those are inconsistent except Gold, she had a not so good GP debut but the rest she was solid this season
    Gao, Czisny, Zawadzki are all inconsistent, by far Gold is the best amongst them by talent and potential

vCash
    I hope Czisny, Gold or Nagasu.

vCash
    I went out on a limb and picked Gao just for the heck of it. As for my hope I would hope for anyone but Czisny, LOL! I cant imagine a bigger step back for the U.S than to return to Czisny at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I went out on a limb and picked Gao just for the heck of it. As for my hope I would hope for anyone but Czisny, LOL! I cant imagine a bigger step back for the U.S than to return to Czisny at this point.
    picking Czisny would be like shooting on your own foot at this crucial time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    picking Czisny would be like shooting on your own foot at this crucial time
    Exactly. Which is why my personal opinion is even if she turned in a 2011 Nationals like performance, she still would be kept off the team this time around, and that even the USFSA which has been generous to her in the past feels that way this time around. They arent going to take any chances with Czisny ever again, unless the U.S has 3 spots for the 2012 Olympics, Czisny really nails Nationals that year, and the U.S depth does not build up as well as hoped in the interim. With Olympic spots on the line though, forget it, no matter how she skates at Nationals, IMHO.

vCash
    Gracie hasn't been consistent since she started competing at senior events, she was just okay at Japan Open, then earlier this season Hannah Miller beat her at Skate Detroit, Agnes beat her at USC, and she was only 7th with a very meh score at SC. She could definitely make the team, but she needs to step up her game big time and soon if she wants to have a good shot at being 2nd at Nationals and making her selection for the Worlds team seem like a good idea. Gao looked great at SA, but we'll have to see if she can keep that going, TEB will likely tell us more. Nagasu was good but not great at Finlandia, we'll have to see what happens at CoC to have a better idea. Agnes was pretty good at USC but then tanked at Japan Open a couple weeks later, the GPs should give us a better idea of which Agnes we should expect this season, or if there's no way of knowing. It seems like the second spot is a pretty wide open affair with the 4 ladies I just mentioned being the main contenders for it, each with relatively equal odds at this point. Czisny and Zhang have a shot but it's highly unlikely either will make the team IMO. There's also the possibility someone else could sneak in there, not likely, but maybe someone like Angela Wang or Samantha Cesario, or if we really go out on a limb, Hannah Miller, Leah Kesier, or Vanessa Lam.

vCash
    Gao used to have hard time adjusting and meeting the expectations for her and seems to end her struggles with new coaches and environment. Now Gracie's sort of having that time. Let's just give her a break for a while. It's too early to predict Gracie would just crack under pressure and hold "Go for Gao" bandwagon and the same goes for any other skaters, too.

vCash
    If she's on (and that's a big if, I know), Nagasu is the best option. She has the most experience and reputation among the girls I consider contenders for the 2nd spot. If she pulls a Wagner and suddenly becomes a fierce competitor, the spot is hers. A fit and hungry Nagasu along with Wagner would be a good World team to finally get a 3rd spot for next year.

Gold seemed like a shoe-in but after SC, I would say her stock has gone down a bit. Come Nationals, that can be a good thing for her. Can you imagine the pressure if she dominated the GP? Maybe it will be better for her to go into Nationals with lower expectations.

Gao and Zawadzki will need to show more consistency and really prove that they are reliable. Gao is on the right path after SA but was that a fluke?

I see those 4 battling for the coveted World spot but things can change after the GP is over. Maybe we should bring this poll back after the GPF.

Zhang is a longshot and Czisny has about an equal chance to go to Worlds again as Rachael Flatt does.

vCash
    I would rule out Czisny, Flatt, and Zhang (injury + other issues in all three cases) as well as Zawadzki (struggling with competition nerves last couple of seasons). Gao, Gold, and Nagasu are still question marks in my mind. Gao skated great at SA but can she keep turning in performances like those? Gold has had one good comp and one mediocre comp. Nagasu medalled at Finlandia with an okay score in a mostly weak field. I'm leaning towards Gao at the moment, but we'll see how the girls fare as the season progresses.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I picked Nagasu. She has the most talent and experience, compared to Gold, Gao and Zawadski. The USA needs to ensure 3 spots for the Olympics. Flatt is no longer the consistent skater she was two years ago. IMO Nagasu is the least risky selection. I would not select Czisny at all. She is the riskiest of all. I say play safe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I picked Nagasu. She has the most talent and experience, compared to Gold, Gao and Zawadski. The USA needs to ensure 3 spots for the Olympics. Flatt is no longer the consistent skater she was two years ago. IMO Nagasu is the least risky selection. I would not select Czisny at all. She is the riskiest of all. I say play safe.
    For me it's easily Nagasu too. With a meltdown, she still managed a top 10 at worlds. And we really need that 3rd spot

vCash
    It's still too early to tell but based on these first two events, Gao is the #2 US lady right now. Rachael is a shadow of her former self; Gracie has been less than impressive so far this season; Caroline was solid at SC but solid for her isn't good enough to be competitive; and I just can't see the USFSA naming Alissa to another world team no matter how well she skates.

We'll need to see how Mirai handles herself at COC to get a better idea of where she is but I agree with Dawnie: if Mirai starts competing like she wants to win, she and Ashley would be a great combo to earn that 3rd spot. Even at her worst Mirai can manage a top 10 placement. She's shown some fight and a new attitude this season. If she's solid at COC and nationals, I'm sure she'd earn that spot...

Definitely too early to tell but we should have a better idea heading into nationals...

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Easily Nagasu, most talent and like others have sides still has the ability to score even with a disaster. Christina..maybe, we will have to see how she does in Paris. To me it's who is ever the most consistent, but with our girls who knows lol!! Gracie needs more experience, if she can handle her nerves possibly!! Agnes, (who I love) has shown nothing (with the exception of some great shorts) since she has become a senior. Alissa wouldn't be ready, and frankly after last year's disaster...who needs that ulcer. No comment about Zhang.

But let's not forget about the "competition of my life" factor at nationals.

vCash
    Definitely a bit surprised Gao is running away with that poll. I hope people are right though. Would love to see her make it to Worlds if she mantains her consistency.

vCash
    Its too early after 2 GP's. Many start the season slow. Just look at Zhang, gained about 25 points between Neibelhorn and SC. I would think Agnes, Gold, Nagasu are favorites with Gao a dark horse. It will be clearer after Nats, and I will vote then.

vCash
    Who is Wager? Is this a yet undiscovered star who is going to unexpectedly crush everyone at US nationals?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Who is Wager? Is this a yet undiscovered star who is going to unexpectedly crush everyone at US nationals?
    She's the great grand niece of Matilda 'Tilly' Typo, who blitzed the 1955 Upper Great Lakes Regional Championships.

vCash
    let's jump to conclusions about everyone's future performances based on the first two GPs of the season, and then guess how others who haven't yet competed would perform.

The lets create endless new polls when the tides turn with the skaters we've declared the next big thing/big failure based on their next GP outing.

Oh what fun!

vCash
    It really to early to predict. But I was amazed at Gao's improvement, and almost voted for her, even if it was only one competition. I voted for Gold because she's such a natural jumper, but I know her results so far this season haven't been so great. I too hope its one of Gao, Gold or Nagasu. I'd even go for Flatt over Csizny.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast