Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

It's an Artist's season for Denis Ten

My interview with Denis Ten:
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/inter...2denisten.html

We talked about changes in his training routine since Frank moved to Palm Springs, about his work with with Lambiel this summer in Oberstdorf, about the situation with sport in Kazakhstan.
    And we talked a lot about his programs and the concept behind them. Since I saw some people (not here) reacting to them with: "Why is he using the same music in both programs? Did he just spread his short for the long? Is his exhibition to the same music too?" etc I thought I should try to "spread the word" giving him a chance to explain himself.

vCash
    Thank you What an excellent interview, I love the idea of Ten's SP & LP forming a coherent whole-very interesting concept. It's always great to hear from Lambiel as well.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Many thanks for the interview!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Wonderful interview! I have always wondered whether you could portray a story throughout the Short and Long Program.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Wonderful interview! I have always wondered whether you could portray a story throughout the Short and Long Program.
    It really is a creative idea, I think Candeloro did something similar in 1994 for his "Godfather" programs-portraying the young Vito Corleone in the SP and continue the same theme in the LP by playing the role of the older version of Vito.

Just me
    vCash
    Great read. Thanks!
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Thank you very much for the interview! Love it!

vCash
    Bumping this thread up with a new article: Denis Ten shared his tricks of the trade with young skaters of Astana
    Excerpt:
    The famous Kazakhstan figure skater conducted the master-class for participants of Kazakhstan Figure Skating Championship and for the children who train in figure skating classes in Astana. Denis shared his professional skating tricks and trained along with the young skaters on the ice rink of Alau Palace. Prominent Kazakhstan figure skater performed his new program that is full of unique stage stunts. The figure skater promised that he would conduct such master-classes every time he came to Kazakhstan. He promised to hold the trainings in different cities of his country every time he comes to Kazakhstan. Samruk-Kazyna Fund supported this event financially.

“It is a great honor for us to train together with the well-known champion, every figure skater dreams about this. Denis is a role model for many of us. He is an example of diligence and tenacity. There is much we can learn from him and not only in terms of technique and artistry. In spite of the rapid development of figure skating in our country, not every skater has a chance to learn from the best international coaches,” one of the participants of the event said.
    Related article from late November 2012: Samruk-Kazyna will support Kazakhstan’s Denis Ten
    Excerpt:
    Samruk-Kazyna Fund will support Kazakhstan figure skater Denis Ten, Vesti.kz reports.

The figure skater announced this during his visit to Astana, where he came to meet his family. He is very pleased that Samruk-Kazyna Fund is going to support him. The figure skater said that it was likely that he would skip the International Skating Union’s competition NRW Trophy that starts on December 5 in Germany. Denis Ten said that he had injured his foot and would not recover before that competition. However, Ten hoped that if he felt better, he would take part in Kazakhstan Figure Skating Championship in Astana in the end of December. He was also going to take part in the Four Continents Figure Skating Championship in February and in World Championship in March.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thought it was a fortuitous time to bump up this old thread!

Re-posting this May 2012 interview with Denis Ten at the end of the 2011-12 season: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Relevant excerpt from Phil Hersh's article:
    Ten, whose family is part of a large Korean population in Kazakhstan, has been battling injuries all season. Surprised by finishing second Wednesday in the short program, with little confidence in a free skate that had been a constant struggle, he adopted a nothing-to-lose attitude by imagining he already had.

"(I thought,) imagine you already lost and you need to skate with freedom," Ten said. "That was my mental strength. I am glad I could skate with power. I didn't sleep well these last two nights. I was too nervous. I never thought I would finish the season this way."

Ten, seventh at worlds last year, bettered his previous personal best for overall score by nearly 40 points and for the free skate by more than 20. It was a remarkable performance for someone who never finished higher than fifth in eight senior Grand Prix appearances and was 12th at the Four Continents Championship last month.

His whole journey is remarkable. Starting on outdoor rinks in Almaty, Kazakhstan, then moving to Russia for better training conditions and coaching, finally winding up in Los Angeles with Carroll, who coached Evan Lysacek to the 2010 Olympic gold.

"When I started skating in Kazakhstan, we only had open rinks and could only skate in the winter," Ten said. "We had a very cold winter, (so) I remember my mother putting three pairs of pants on me, and I looked like a cabbage.

"And that's how I learned all the doubles, it helped me to be quicker. Then I would train in shopping malls, at a small rink. We had an exhibition every Friday for all the shopaholics.

"I took a long way from skating like a cabbage to skating here at worlds."
    at the quote I bolded above.

British Eurosport's Worlds videos:
    SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXqbfzY5HHk
    FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZppBu-yeihM
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-16-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Congrats to Ten. Way to go. Kazakhstan must be so proud.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Congrats to Denis on his silver medal @ Worlds. As much as I like Patrick, Denis should have won the title. Glad he won the free skate!

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    It should have been "A World Champion's Season for Dennis Ten!!" So sorry this kid didn't win, when it was clear to everyone watching (except the judges) that he should have!! But a World Silver is nothing to be ashamed of. He should be Uber proud...gave me chills just watching him skate his programs..(and I'm a Gachinski fan!!) LOVE HIM!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    And an exhibition program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIVAJGjGv_8

+ message on IG
    http://instagram.com/p/XG1U2bu465/
    "I was pretty nervous (but happy) performing it in front of Kurt. [I also hope @slambiel was satisfied with his student]"

About not getting the gold (or almost getting the gold) Denis had a very nice, wise and diplomatic interview (Russian) where he among other things he answered to the question if he wuz robbed:

I know Patrick for a long time, as a person and as a skater. I work a lot and I grow, I made a big step forward, but I can tell that to reach him I still need to work more. Because at the moment Patrick Chan is indeed a model, a standard of comparison in men figure skating. And I don't think it's correct to compare me with now three times World champion.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Denis Ten has always come across as a mensch.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I love me some Denis Ten

vCash
    It is ridiculous how many time's I've seen both his short and long programs.

His long IMO was the best piece of choreography I saw this season for the men. I'm not the biggest fan of playful programs because I often find that skater's can come across as contrived or cheesy, but IMO Denis struck the perfect note with his long program. The choreography, jumps and interpretation were just seamless.

Congratulations to Denis Ten and here's hoping he continues the momentum and growth heading into next season

vCash
    Very happy for Denis that he could finally skate his full potential and went home with a world medal at the end of three seasons where event skating decently seemed to be quite a big problem for him most of the time. Truly hoping this unexpected silver was not a fluke and I will see him with more medals round his neck in the years to come. Go Denis.

vCash
    Denis Ten tweeted this article in the Astana Times titled "Ten Makes Kazakhstan Figure Skating History with Silver": http://astanatimes.kz/index.php?uin=...363960700#news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-22-2013 at 11:34 PM.

vCash
    Thank you for posting these articles, Sylvia. Denis was THE story at these Worlds and he seems like such a mature and gracious guy (especially for a 19-year-old).
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I add my congratulations to Denis, and kudos also to his team of coaches/ choreographers/ mentors!

This season I have been in love with the concept behind Denis' programs and how they were put together for him so beautifully. I've always enjoyed Denis' skating. I so wished he'd be able to skate these two programs to the full effect of their beauty, and he did above and beyond my expectations.

As I mentioned in another thread:

Fabulous performances by Denis! Love his programs, love the concept, love D10's personal victory!!! I also love Denis' enthusiasm and the joy and patriotism he exudes, as well as the gratitude he extends to all those congratulating him. Continue taking the high road in high style Denis ...

Always remember your true self and the power, passion and precision that abide within.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast